PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Tuning

imaJe
17-06-04, 01:58 PM
Hey every1 jus got started on styling the exterior of my Nova. Got lights, spoilers, mirrors, respray the lot but now I want it tuned to a decent standard. I'm still part time so I'm on a budget but I can't find any performance mods for my 1.2 Nova. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me please. Anything at all and I will be grateful! Thanks

Stuart
17-06-04, 02:31 PM
ooooohhhh welcome to the silly world of 1.2 tuning ;)

it all depends on how far you want to go and how much you wish to spend.

you can do simple things such as an exhaust manifold from ashley and the rest of the system, that will be approx ?150-200 for both.

maybe get a webber 32/34carb and fit it with a 1.4sr manifold, although im sure if youve got a bit of skill you could make it fit the 1.2 manifold.

a good HT service, prehaps replace the ign module to be sure its in tip tpo condition.

then you get to the slightly more expnesive stage

Cam change, you can get a 1.4 cam (allegedly the best of the std nova range) which could see you 5-10bhp, ive heard the 1.3 cam gives 5 as proved on a dyno

or you could go for an aftermarket cam, loads about such as a Kent/Piper one, these really need the carb and exhaust to make the most of them

you can then probably go onto having head work done, such as gas flowing/skimming/bigger valves etc. the 1.2 head is the "best" flowing of the range (appart from the 1.6). you can have valves similar to the 1.6 cut in for ?200ish but you need to have them ported in too.

or even jsut go for a pre modded head from cylinderhead developments/blyndenstein/others

once you get into more power you will need to have the bottom end rebuilt/reconditioned. you could use ARP rod bolts, get the rods shot peened and deseamed etc.

and if you feel fruity go for webber twin 40's

but it has to be said that if you arent over serious about the 1.2 engine then its sort of a false economy. Im doing a 1.2 to prove a point, which means i dont mind spending a mint on it cos its a bit of fun.

but from a different point of view you may just want a bit more go until you get cheaper insurance/the money to drop say a 1.6 or even a boring 2.0 16V in.

its your call but i hope that gave you a clue

epo
17-06-04, 07:05 PM
since ur part time a cheap mod u can do like cambridge is doing is lose weight ie fit lighter bucket seats remove the back seats and stereo parts

also a set of 2.0 16v brakes will help as the better the brakes the later u can brake in 2 corners ect

Adam
17-06-04, 07:29 PM
If you are on a very tight budget then i would deffo suggest the weight reduction, it costs nothing. I have read it somewhere that when they removed the back seat, and replaced the front seats with buckets it knocked about half a second off a 1/4 mile time.Which for nothing is quite a lot.
So that is the easiest and cheapest mod, but what cambridge suggested will see the best possible performance out of a 1.2.
But is it worth it, if i was you i would just add a 1.3SR manifold, a 32/34 weber, K&N,decent exhaust. And a good service.
Then when you have the cash, drop in a bigger engine.

Stuart
17-06-04, 07:56 PM
indeed. lol i got a bit caught up with the engine.

but the key is weight, suspension and brakes

you can lose wieght for free.

suspension a gmax kit will see you right to start with and they are sub ?200 afaik (there is a bloke on mig doing a group buy on FK coilovers for ?370), get a set of poly bushes from rally design or tweeks or that other company that i forgot the name of lol.

and the the brakes, as suggested the 2.0 16v ones are the ones to have if you have 14" or largert wheels

but to be honest the world is your oyster.

Adam
17-06-04, 08:04 PM
Remove as much weight as you can get away with, you will be suprised by the difference.
And drive around in a pair of shorts, it all counts.LOL :D

dunova
18-06-04, 08:15 AM
If you are on a very tight budget then i would deffo suggest the weight reduction, it costs nothing. I have read it somewhere that when they removed the back seat, and replaced the front seats with buckets it knocked about half a second off a 1/4 mile time.Which for nothing is quite a lot.

He's on a budget!! Decent lightweight bucket seats are about as cheap as writing your car off :lol:
****edited*******

Stuart
18-06-04, 08:32 AM
ive found an aluminium bucket seat in tweeks for ?68 + vat

ok its not the prettiest and you need to pad it. but hey its cheap and light lol

Barn
18-06-04, 01:49 PM
sure i had a post in here :? :D

dunova
18-06-04, 01:59 PM
Same here mate :cry: Was it something i said? :roll:

david dixon
18-06-04, 03:48 PM
cheap and cheerful mods for a 1.2: a cam from a 1.6inj and its cast exhaust manifold and twin down pipes, a second hand 32/34 carb can be fitted to a 1.2 manifold all you need to do is make a flange.
some higher rating plugs(or use 2.0 16v plugs as they will fit and they take higher temps!) & decent leads, you could also get a high output coil giving you the chance to widen your plug gaps. advance the timing a little.
All these mods shouldn't cost much at all and they work even more so if you get it set up afterwards which will probably cost the most!

_JH_
18-06-04, 04:50 PM
that other company that i forgot the name of lol.

deflex? http://www.deflex.co.uk cheaper than rally design, quick delivery, and a good fit :)

Snowface
18-06-04, 06:38 PM
maybe get a webber 32/34carb and fit it with a 1.4sr manifold, although im sure if youve got a bit of skill you could make it fit the 1.2 manifold.

you'll have a job fitting a 1.4 inlet manifold straight onto a 1200 head.
Its a lot easier to use a 1300 manifold where the ports line up exactly. (also be too much of a hassle to fit the Weber to you 1200 manifold.)

The pierburg 2e3 offers some improvment over the stadard carb, but if you want to spend a bit more then go for a Weber 32/34DMTL.

Or for even more like cambridge said, Twin 40's.

epo
18-06-04, 07:04 PM

He's on a budget!! Decent lightweight bucket seats are about as cheap as writing your car off :lol:
****edited*******
nah there not that expensive mine were only ?50 each second hand just keep lookin in the forsale section

imaJe
20-06-04, 10:33 PM
Wow Thanks guys for all the replys. I'm gona print this off and show my mate cos he'll know for sure what u r all goin on about, I only know the basics! Should be gettin some oney behind me soon so I can start investing on some upgrades for my motor. Thanks again everyone for your input, glad to know theres people on here that r willing to help those that know bugger all! I'll learn one day!

Stuart
20-06-04, 10:38 PM
3 and 4 are sclose on the keyboard making 1.3 and 1.4 an easy typo :p

Snowface
28-06-04, 06:45 PM
3 and 4 are sclose on the keyboard making 1.3 and 1.4 an easy typo :p

ah, the irony.

good luck m8. Its faurly easy to get 10bhp more from a 1200.