PDA

View Full Version : Electrical and stuck!!

robb
16-06-04, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick question for a quick answer,

I have an electrical problem with my car now, the battery will drain itself over a couple of days, I have charged it, started it, left it and tried to start it and I get nothing.

Do I have an earth, short, wrong wiring up?

If anyone else has had this problem then let me know how you fixed it please as I have till tomorrow to take for retest on MOT.

Thanks in advance

Robb Trepte

Ste_Nova
16-06-04, 12:37 PM
battery fucked...

mine used to not hold enough charge to start the car if it was left for more than 1 day

dunova
16-06-04, 12:57 PM
Mine was draining itself and i couldn't figure it out-tried EVERYTHING then realised the earth to my alternater was f**cked :roll:

Will F
16-06-04, 03:09 PM
Probably a drain, rather than a fecked battery.

When you take the battery terminal off, dab it on the battery post and see if if sparks (a lot) if it does, you have a drain from somewhere.

robb
16-06-04, 03:44 PM
I tried last night to test it but couldn't really find anything.

The battery had 12V across but starter was really slow, also there was only 5V at starter.

It started fine with another battery on jump leads.

I will look for bad earths tonight. (do I check the resistance of the wire for this?)

Will F
16-06-04, 03:47 PM
If it didnt spark when you dabbed the battery terminal (You need a full battery) you have a shagged battery or alternator.

Try splashing it with a good (full) battery.

robb
16-06-04, 03:50 PM
When you take the battery terminal off, dab it on the battery post and see if if sparks (a lot) if it does, you have a drain from somewhere.

If it didnt spark when you dabbed the battery terminal (You need a full battery) you have a shagged battery or alternator.

??

Will F
16-06-04, 04:13 PM
? what?

Just let me have a look at it then!!

:?

robb
17-06-04, 08:42 AM
Just a new way of testing things that's all.

I have a different battery and an earth tightened up now :oops:

It has been fine from yesterday till this morning, just hope that it is fine for MOT!

I will be down on the weekend Will, MOT dependant.

Thanks guys for your help.