PDA

View Full Version : pc trouble

Dave
15-06-04, 10:53 PM
have a problem with my pc the screen turns its self off at random intervals have checked all the dispay setting an they are all ok (nothing set to automatic turn off) but it still does it anyone any idea what's up with it or is it time to get a new moniter/graphics card??

any help from anyone would be apreciated
cheers
dave

Alex
15-06-04, 11:09 PM
what exactly happens to your screen? does it go into standby (i.e does it work again after you move the mouse) or does it turn off?
How do you get it working again

Dave
15-06-04, 11:51 PM
it swiches itself to standby mode, have to reset pc to get it to work again
have changed all the wires from pc to screen so it's either screen or one of the boards,

Jordi
16-06-04, 09:06 AM
check the power off settings in display options.

Jules
16-06-04, 09:07 AM
Does the monitor have it's own power supply or does it come from your desktop unit (i.e from the PSU in the PC)?
If so then maybe your PSU might be the fault - whip it out and give it a good clean with a hoover and see if it helps.

Jordi
16-06-04, 09:10 AM
if you do wot jules say, use a decent vaccum. old shitty ones give out all sorts of magnectic forces n shit from motor. New ones are protected i think.

Dave
16-06-04, 09:57 AM
power supply is direct from mains

and is psu power supply unit?? :oops:

Jules
16-06-04, 09:59 AM
Power Supply Unit

But if it's direct from mains that it makes no difference.

Dave
16-06-04, 10:02 AM
thought it might be :lol:

any more suggestions??

Jordi
16-06-04, 10:51 AM
Did u check power off settings?

display settings > screen savers > monitor power saving bit at bottom

click button, turn it to always on and never on the 3 boxes below.

Dave
16-06-04, 12:26 PM
have checked all the dispay setting an they are all ok (nothing set to automatic turn off) but it still does it

yes mate :LOL:

Alex
16-06-04, 01:32 PM
my laptop at work puts itself in standby and I cant change the settings of that at all. Your pc may be similar. Do you have a wakeup button/function on your keyboard Dave?

Dave
16-06-04, 02:22 PM
don't think so alex it doesn't do it at any set intervals an usually does it when i'm in the middle of sommant so i gen annoyed :?

Alex
16-06-04, 02:26 PM
It sounds like a faulty monitor, but its hard to tell. Try swapping it with a friend's monitor i.e. he has yours you have his. You will then be able to see whether it happens on his (faulty monitor) or it happens on yours using his monitor (other pc hardware problem)

epo
16-06-04, 09:42 PM
me mam had the same prob with hers just put it down to age and bought a new one

i aslo had a prob with mine but it was the power cable which was faulty

Will
16-06-04, 09:47 PM
my laptop at work puts itself in standby and I cant change the settings of that at all. Your pc may be similar. Do you have a wakeup button/function on your keyboard Dave?

the tabs are prob turned off in the registry

regedit and turn them back on

gay work trying to restrict things

lol

Dave
25-06-04, 09:56 AM
changed the monitor for another one an same happens so it's got to be software hasn't it :(

Alex
25-06-04, 01:27 PM
ill have a look when i come round dave