PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8v Wiring Loom - Am i being thick?

JonL
15-06-04, 04:25 PM
Right have got both my 2L 8v nova and 1L nova next to each other.

Going to transfer the engine across, almost everything is ready, but i want to sort these damn wires before i start moving things.

The 2.0 8v (conversion NOT done by me)was a GTE, so had injection, ECU etc.

The new shell was a 1.0 L Carb

According to the list i got the wires i should have are:

1 to the coil (green) + rev gauge if fitted (DIS systems have this wire at the ECU end).

1 to ECU light ( brown/white).

1 to fuel pump (Red/Blue).

1 to battery +.

1 to ignition ( Black / red).

1 to the starter motor positive (+12v).

Several GND wires to chassis.
Also wire from the ignition to the coil ( + ).

What i actually have in the 2L (that go from the main loom/block to ECU loom are)

Main Loom -> ECU LOOM

RED -> RED
GREEN -> Brown
RED/BLACK - > BLACK
YELLOW/BLACK -> BROWN (another one)

Now all i can ascertain from similar wires in the 1L Are:

BLACK/RED whichs goes to the ignition/starter switch
BLACK which goes to the ignition coil
BLUE/WHITE which goes to the charge warning light

Can anyone help me with this, or shed a little light on where i am going wrong?

Cheers

rodgerq
15-06-04, 10:11 PM
ok to get your engine running in the 1.0ltr shell all you need is :-

the black wire at the coil to be connected to the black wire on the ecu loom.

thickish red/blue wire on the ecu loom goin to positive connection of your fuel pump

thick red wire on ecu loom goin to battery

all earths on the ecu loom attached to the various places on the engine.

iirc the ecu loom has a green wire so just connect the green wire from your coil o it, and then T into it for the rev counter.(green iwre found near coil and dissapearing into the loom goin up the wing)

hth

rodgerq

madcodling
16-06-04, 12:08 PM
is this the same for the 2.0 16v going into a gte??????????????????

rodgerq
16-06-04, 05:05 PM
yeeah mate thats the basics to get the thing running. other wires are for sensors n stuff.

rodgerq

madcodling
17-06-04, 08:58 PM
well to be honest with you mate im a bit baffelled do you keep the old gte loom in place and adapt the 2.0ltr loom to it or what please help the only bit of the conversion that gets me is the wiring

cheers

rodgerq
17-06-04, 09:21 PM
ok if you look on the bulkhead there is a plug that mates the engine loom and the car loom. if you follow the wiring on the engine, ie injectors etc they will eventually lead back to this plug.

when you find it unplg it and remove the engine loom with the engine. this will leave the other end of the plug free. this is the part you need to join the 2.0ltr 8v engine loom to.

on the plug there should be

thick red wire - goin to battery. main ecu power cable. attach to thick red cable on the ecu loo.

red/blue wire - fuel pump. attach to the red/blue wire on the ecu loom

thin black wire - ignition switch live - connect to the thin black wore on the ecu loom

thin blue wire - temp sensor wire. run a wire from here to the temp sensor on the engine block.

brown/white wire - engine diagnostic wire. connect to the brown/white on the ecu loom if available

thin green wire - rev counter. attach to thin green on ecu loom

if you need any more info just ask.

rodgerq

madcodling
17-06-04, 10:10 PM
ok ok excellent im gettin it now

a few questions tho
where bouts do i get these other wires from ie you say red/blue wire - fuel pump. attach to the red/blue wire on the ecu loom
where bouts is the red/blue wire on the loom same goes for the others or is the one point i should be getting these wires from i.e a plug on the 2.0 ltr loom

also you say thick red wire - goin to battery. main ecu power cable. attach to thick red cable on the ecu loom.
on my 2.0 ltr loom i have a thick red wire with a battery connector on it is this the wire you mean.

thankyou by the way for your help!!!!!!!!!!1

rodgerq
17-06-04, 10:15 PM
yes the thijck red wire can go straight to the battery then, instead of attaching to the plug in the engine bay. all the wires im on about will be on your ecu loom somewhere. they might all be on a plug in whcih case you will have to cut off the plug and crmip/solder/attach a suitable plug to them to connect to the gte car loom. get me?

i am doin a conversion soon into my gsi and what i intent do to di group all the wires from the ecu loom and atrach them to the plug that came off with the 1.6 engine loom then it will plug straight into the car loom with no cuttin etc...

rodgerq

madcodling
17-06-04, 10:24 PM
ok nice one the only thing is there are alot of wires that are the same ie red/blue .green.red ect should the wires im looking for just end on there own or should i have to cut into the wires and T them off.
i do have however on my 2.0 ecu loom a bigish round plug with all of the above wires on is this what im looking for.

also what is the black box then mounted at the back of my engine bay on my gte which says bosch on it

sorry for being such a pain

rodgerq
17-06-04, 10:27 PM
naw thats ok mate thats what the forum is for. where is the black box? on the left hand side of the bay with a large plug goin into it? this is the ecu for the 1.6 engine.

if you have the big round plug then all the wires should be there that you need. theres no need to hack anywhere into the loom. the endin of the wires at that round plug will be where you attach onto. you wil need to remove the round plug obviously

rodgerq

madcodling
17-06-04, 10:32 PM
ok thats excellent thats all i need to know .well for now anyways youve been great i was gettin a bit worried bout the wiring and trust me to think too far ahead i bought the digi dash thinking itll save me time rewiring i didnt realise there was two looms.
thanks for your help.

how hard is it tho to wire in the dash im not too bad at rewiring as long as i know what im looking for.

rodgerq
17-06-04, 10:35 PM
ive never actually doneone to be honest. but i do know that instead of 1 plug at the back of the dash there are two for the digi dash. you will need these with the dash with some length of wire attached so you can connect them to your car loom. put up a post or do a search im sure there will be loads of info on it. maybe even a "how 2" somewhere

rodgerq

JonL
20-06-04, 09:21 PM
Ok i actually got around to doing this today and i read your reply, but i can't see that you read which wires i actually have on my ECU loom:

RED
Brown
BLACK
BROWN (another one)

Now so far i have connected the RED to a positive 12v
The BLACK one goes to the fuel pump (as i worked out from the GTE)

and i now still have 2 brown wires left??? What are these for, do either of them connect to the old coil wires somehow?

BTW the car turns over but doesn't ignite, so i presume its something to do with the coil

rodgerq
20-06-04, 09:59 PM
the browns are earths mate

the black wire goin to fuel pump, thsts the first ive heard of that. how thick is the black wire on the ecu loom? pretty thin is it? that should attach to the black wire down at your coil.

is that all the wires you have on your ecu loom mate? has it been cut at any time do you know?

rodgerq

JonL
21-06-04, 09:00 AM
See i thought that, but in the original wiring set up in the GTE the Brown wires are attached to a yellow/black wire and a green wire :?

Its not a really thin wire, its a slightly fatter than the standard sized one, i'll check this 100% later when i get home but i am pretty sure.

Err i don't know, i presume it was modded slightly when it went in the GTE by the guy before me.

What wires should i have that i can connect to? Maybe i need to dig into the loom and find some others?

Thanks for all your help so far by the way :D

rodgerq
21-06-04, 05:12 PM
as i mentioned before the basics to get the car running are to have your power gointo your ecu via the thick red connected to the battery. make sure all your earths on the ecu loom are attached to the engine. connect the thin black wire to the thin black wire at the coil. thick red/blue wire to positive side offuel pump to power it when the ignition is turned on.

if you havent got the thick red/blue wire then the pump can be run off an ignition fed switch. does the loom have a relay on it? what colour and thickness wires are goin into this?

give me your email address and ill take pics of my 8v loom to show you.

rodgerq