PDA

View Full Version : Lower tir bar barkets and lowered tie bars to suit?

vauxnova
14-06-04, 10:11 AM
When you lower the tie bars using hockley brackets or homemade spacers
why don't you lower the tie bar at the wishbone end as well to streighten out the geomerty?

Gaz

Stuart
14-06-04, 10:25 AM
the whole point it to move the geometry to allow for anti dive to do its job.

but rickwill no doubt come and put me right :p

Ste_Nova
14-06-04, 10:34 AM
cause that would just cancel out lowering the front

MC
14-06-04, 11:23 AM
The kit isn't just anti dive. It is also to rincrease traction on pull away. As the wheels begin to turn, they exert force along the tie bar to the cross member. The tie bar is angled upwards, so the resultant force pushes the front of the car up, reducing the downward force on the front of the car. Lowering the front of the tie bar reduices this angle, and prevents some of this upward force. The whole design of the front tie bar is poo. It has no adjustability, so any attempt to change the front geometry is hindered. The spec in the Nova competition build manual is the way to go, and when used with ecsentric top mounts and rose jointed control arms, you can achieve full adjustment.

MC

rgv_stu
14-06-04, 04:18 PM
how much do they lower the tie bar brackets mike ??

im tempted to get a set from the scrappy and mod to suit

Stuart
14-06-04, 04:29 PM
i shall be making my own grp A style lowerd mounts (from "the book") soon

and also modifying the tca to suit a new design on the tie bar.

will make it cheaper than the ?250ish that tweeks charge lol

if they work well i may make more

-tucny-
14-06-04, 06:04 PM
does anyone know where i can get or download the nova competion build manual. iv tried alsorts of book shops and even the publisher with no luck.

_JH_
14-06-04, 06:23 PM
bought mine from amazon, but thats was a long time ago. plenty of people on here have it hosted. I PM'd someone and got a link but can't remember who.

Aragorn
15-06-04, 11:51 PM
http://kevingalloway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/NovaCompetitionBuildGuide.pdf

_JH_
16-06-04, 01:51 PM
so how much do the hh ones lower the tie bar mount by? any pics?

Stuart
16-06-04, 02:33 PM
im not sure how far the HH ones lower

as there appear to be 3 different sorts of lowered tie bar mounts

1) modified standard ones that retain the rubber (or poly) bush. approx 20-25mm
2)fabricated std looking ones but with a shperical bearing in it to replace the bush. again 20-25mm
3)the proper rude rally slag rosejointed (rod end) bar that goes to a modified tca. ive no idea how far they lower, but the might be about the same, i just dont know. but id like to know as im going to be making some :D

benji
16-06-04, 05:03 PM
so the cheapo way of doing it is just lower the standard mounts by 25-30mm

vauxnova
16-06-04, 05:24 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ryan.coombes/pictures1.asp

might be of use

will probbaly be making mine this weekend caould take pics if nayones intersted

dathers
16-06-04, 10:28 PM
Ive modified standard tie bar mounts and used a 20mm spacer plate and longer bolts,ive replaced the standard rubber bushes with poly ones.
Ive not fitted them yet but its on my 'to do' list.
Dave

_JH_
17-06-04, 03:29 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ryan.coombes/pictures1.asp

might be of use

thats similar to what I was thinking bar one or two bits

3)the proper rude rally slag rosejointed (rod end) bar that goes to a modified tca. ive no idea how far they lower, but the might be about the same, i just dont know. but id like to know as im going to be making some

yeah, I'm toying with the idea of making a wide track tca and adjustable tie rod, to go with an astra beam on the rear

rgv_stu
17-06-04, 04:28 PM
to stick an astra beam on you will need to move the pivot points as they are in a different place than the nova beam

rodgerq
17-06-04, 09:40 PM
would the rally setup be suitable for road use though?

rodgerq

Stuart
17-06-04, 10:34 PM
we shall see lol

_JH_
17-06-04, 11:13 PM
to stick an astra beam on you will need to move the pivot points as they are in a different place than the nova beam

there must be different ones then as I've seen one on a grasser, the guy said it was from a mk2 astra. a while back someone on here said they'd seen/heard about it being done too.

rgv_stu
18-06-04, 09:19 AM
quite possible but as i had a nova and astra rear beam sat next to each other i can tell you they are very different
anything can be made to fit , its a case of is it really worth it ??

_JH_
18-06-04, 11:41 AM
lol, no it'd be easier extending the nova one. shame, I knew the cav was different, but not the astra. might track down the guy I saw claiming it was an astra beam and take some pics. I doubt he'd have moved the mountings as its easier to cut the boot floor out and fit trailing arms and coilovers to the back of the cage as most nova grassers do.

Stuart
18-06-04, 01:06 PM
yay got me rod ends today so i shall get on and make yhe rallysetup tomorrow :D

rodgerq
18-06-04, 01:47 PM
so you are making a replica set of the rally setup then? how far are you taking this? hubs? shafts? ball joints? struts? bottom arms? ]

what bits are you gony be copying?

rodgerq

Stuart
18-06-04, 02:00 PM
modifed bottom arms. new tiebars with the rose joints and new/modded tie bar mounts to accept the rode ends.

ill just fit new ball joints to the track control arms. not rosejointing the inner pivot as thats just too expensive lol

rodgerq
18-06-04, 02:10 PM
cool ill be interested in any pics you take of that.

rodgerq

rgv_stu
18-06-04, 04:32 PM
are your pics not allready uploaded cambridge ??
http://www.lindborg.me.uk/Stuart/ or summot ??

Stuart
18-06-04, 05:39 PM
i dont have any of the tie bar, as its not been made yet lol

there is a slow progression of pictures on that link. but in no real order and they are mixed up with a load of other crap