PDA

View Full Version : Car starting probs

Alex
13-06-04, 12:45 PM
The problem started last Sunday when it started to smoke very badly (white smoke) and then cut out while driving and could not be restarted. After closer inspection the head gasket had gone on all four cylinders at once (I had suspected that it was on its way out for some time). I took the head off and got it skimmed (it needed 0.8mm off!). Once this was done I put it all back together using all new gaskets etc. Now the car still can?t be started. I know is definitely getting fuel as the fuel rail contains fuel and the plugs are getting wet with fuel. There is also a spark being produced by the plugs and the air filter is taking in air.
When attempting to start the car the starter seems to turn the engine over fine but it just isn?t igniting the fuel. I?ve checked that I have all the sensors back in and cannot see any that I have missed. I am completely stumped. Can anyone help, or suggest anything?

david dixon
13-06-04, 12:50 PM
Check the cam timing and then firing order from your distributer either that or something carnt be plugged in!

Alex
13-06-04, 12:53 PM
cam timing and firing order are ok. Ive looked all over the engine for anything that is not plugged in and cannot see anything that isn't.

david dixon
13-06-04, 12:57 PM
Do you have a compression tester? I would check that.

burgo
13-06-04, 12:57 PM
have u done a compression test

CP
13-06-04, 11:44 PM
Check the cam timing - it maybe that although you think you are correctly timed up you could be a tooth out in reality. A quick way to check is to use a timing gun. Also make sure the TDC mark you are using off the bottom pulley is actually right.

I find that i have to turn the cam sprocket about half a tooth clockwise in order to get the belt on and correctly tensioned for the correct timing.

Aragorn
13-06-04, 11:53 PM
u said the plugs are soaking...

is it possible its flooded?