PDA

View Full Version : de handeling me car

te17@novasgonemad
10-06-04, 11:52 PM
basicaly as it says im gonna take me handles off me doorand fit buttons to open them so that the only open when the central locking is active ie.. so that some one cant just push the button even when the car is supposed to be locked..... What i was thinking was tosand away to bare metal where the handel reccess is thenself tap some mesh in the reccess so that it will hold ,fill it with glass fibre ,rub that back and body filler it 3 times till ultra smooth this sound gud or is there another way????

Has any one tried to do it this way did it crack or fall out ?? il put a pic up on this very post with the painting and smothing done !!

if it works i will then do the same on my un rusty passenger door:)

Al Wilson
11-06-04, 12:37 AM
Weld a plate in first, just filler and fibreglass will only crack over time so for a long term job its worth it. I started with just filler and fibreglass when I delocked mine but that cracked over the summer months so i pulled it out and did it properly using metal plates welded in. Hope that helps.

Jack
11-06-04, 08:39 AM
I'd have said weld too, for a recess of that size definately. Also be aware i think de-handling the drivers side will make your car fail the MOT..?

Dpnova
11-06-04, 09:05 AM
I say weld metal plates in, might as well get it done first time then not worry about it anymore 8)

Al Wilson
11-06-04, 10:48 AM
Never had any MOT problems myself and its been done twice since I removed them. I think the rule is there has to be a form of access from the outside, like a button or lever.

Adam
11-06-04, 08:33 PM
Never had any MOT problems myself and its been done twice since I removed them. I think the rule is there has to be a form of access from the outside, like a button or lever.

Yeah, it is illegal to have no way of gaining access from the outside, so somewhere you are supposed to have a button or handle to open from the outside.

Al Wilson
11-06-04, 08:35 PM
Ive got buttons, not that anyone ever finds them.

te17@novasgonemad
12-06-04, 01:20 AM
yea ive got buttons to but they will only open the door if it is not alarmed or central locked so i dont care if ppl can see them :) ,, i have now done the drivers door me mates love it :) and so do i

epo
12-06-04, 10:15 AM
also for mot dont u need to have at least one manuel handel to get in2 the car incase the battery goes flat

Al Wilson
12-06-04, 05:32 PM
Never been a problem for me. The chance of all three soleniods going is remote as well. Battery is a point. I suppose Id have to brake the glass to get in mine if it went flat!

-tucny-
12-06-04, 05:57 PM
ive done my boot and one door at the mo, just need to get a rust free drivers door to finish the job. iv fitted the solonoids like the central locking ones which work when the switch is pressed then they spring back to their original position. they are fastened to a bracket on the bar behind the interior door handle therefore they will not open the door if it is locked, which i do by remote. all three solonoids are wired to different fuses just in case a fuse blows and im gonna run a wire under my car which can be connected to a donor battery should mine go flat - might seem like a bit of messing around but at least i wont have to put a window through.