PDA

View Full Version : F4 gearbox ?!?!?

Nick
09-06-04, 08:57 PM
Had a new gearbox put in after a hole ripped through my housing on the original. My car is a mk2 1.2 so i guess it was an f10 box originally

I bought the new one from a reputable mate n he sed it was outta a 1.4 Luxe originaly, all the gears seem alot shorter and the car seems slower, trying to look for the stamp on the housing and i can see somethin that ses F4 !? is this right !?

Also, were do i put the gearoil in !? it's only got about 1 1/2 litres of gear oil in and is making a kinda grating sound under acceleration. needs toipping up me thinks !

MechaT
10-06-04, 12:59 PM
The filler neck is on top of the gearbox. covered with a white plastic cap. The spout is tiny and its a right hassle trying to fill. The garage'll use a pump thingy and do it in five mins flat.

You may have an F13 CR. Not sure if they put'em on 14NZ engines.
Without a pic it's really hard to explain where the code is: Looking behind the passenger side wheel, You have the square ish plate in front you. Just beneath to the left is a kind of shoulder. The code is stamped on there. You'll have to rub it lightly with wet'n'dry to see it.

Aragorn
10-06-04, 01:10 PM
u can unbolt the whole filler thing with a 17mm spanner and get much better access

the level plug is on the side of the box - look in your haynes manual and it shows exactly how to fill it up

however it only takes about 1.8 litres of oil so it could well be a worn box is its whining

robb
10-06-04, 01:30 PM
Best thing to fill them up with is the little gear oil pots you get for MX bikes.

holds a litre, won't pour unless you squeeze and fits great on the hole under the bolt.

That's what I use!