PDA

View Full Version : BAD tyre wear !!!

Nick
09-06-04, 08:25 PM
Hey i have a Mk2 Nova, Lowered 40mm on Gmax Springs running FOX 6 195/45/15 Nankang Tyres

The first set of Front tyres ran out in about 2 1/2 months

The current set of tyres which are now Cheaper KUMO items, have gone in about 3 2/3 months

The rear tyres are about 1/2 worm and have plenty of life left.

My tyres on the front seem to badily wear out on the insides, the tracking is spot on but i've recently had the gearbox changed, but nothing to do with the steering was altered, jst the Driveshafts were disconnected.

There aren't any spiggots on my front wheels n this causes my steering wheel to shake at anything over 30-40mph, could this be resulting in increased tyre wear ?

It's a joke paying 90 quid every 3 months on tyres

I don't ragg it around much , but i do give it a fair bit of welly from time to time !

epo
09-06-04, 09:19 PM
iecomed u have it 4 wheel lazer allighned as ur camber might be out

Adam
09-06-04, 11:34 PM
Yeah it sound like when it was lowered it has put the steering geometry out. Thats why your tyres are wearing at one particular point.

Aragorn
10-06-04, 12:50 PM
2.5 months :|

i run my first set of BFGoodrich tires for about 12000 miles on the front and the rears are still fine with about 4mm tread, fronts only died cos i didnt tighten the driveshaft retaining nuts enough and the wheels were sitting wonky because of that

jack the car up and wobble the wheel, see if it moves around, u mihgt have knackered track rod ends or ball joints - or maybe duff bearings/undertightened shafts

Nick
10-06-04, 04:55 PM
i forgot to mention, In my first 2 1/2 months of driving i did about 10k miles !

:-D

but still, i've calmed down alot and it is still just as bad

gettin a Rubbing sound from the front left wheel when turning right, think that's bearing/bushing or something gone.

Adam
10-06-04, 07:17 PM
i forgot to mention, In my first 2 1/2 months of driving i did about 10k miles !

:-D

but still, i've calmed down alot and it is still just as bad

gettin a Rubbing sound from the front left wheel when turning right, think that's bearing/bushing or something gone.

Are you sure the rubbing sound ain't just your tyre rubbing on the arch.

nova.pimp
10-06-04, 10:29 PM
hi mate. i fit tyres for a living so i should know this. nearly everyone is right. so here goes:

1. sort sum spiggot rings bro. they aint that pricey and it'll give better handling.

2. check all steering/suspension components. all and properly.

3. chamber change is the problem. 4 wheel lazer alignment aint gonna do a thing. i do it every day and it only adjusts toe in/out.

so have a look at your car from the front and if the tops of your tyres point in and the bottom point out then you're gonna want some camber adjusters mate. let me know. hope this helps. :D

Aragorn
10-06-04, 10:41 PM
u can get alignment systems that do camber

i was speaking to someone from NL recently who had their camber checked out by an alignment machine and it was about 1degree neg on both sides which is about perfect for fast road use

10k for a set of performance tires isnt soo bad tbh mate but if the camber is more than 1degree out then u should get it adjusted to -1degree

CP
11-06-04, 09:09 AM
This is a common problem with lowering - the lower you go the worse it gets. What happens is that as the strut and spring assembly shortens and the car sits lower, the TCA effectively forces the bottom of the tyre out cos its length remains constant and it rises up to the horizontal.
There is however a simple remedy. Re drill you turret top mount holes a few mm towards the outside of the car. Ask Ste on here for exact figure.

Stuart
11-06-04, 09:12 AM
i belive he worked out it was 1mm towards the outside of the car froe very 10mm lower it was.

the holes will overlap, so you should get washers welded in to hold the position.

Nick
11-06-04, 05:20 PM
yer i did hit a boulder which bent my wheel, but i'd had trye problems before that. Maybe that has bent somethimng to do with the steering.

Tracking has been re-done since then.

my mate who has been lowered more doesn't have as bad trye wear so i can't see how it's related to camber ! it's oinly 40mm

Stuart
11-06-04, 06:32 PM
to be fair, if youve done 10K in 2.5 months then ok its short time scale, but a reasonable distance.

get the tracking and gerneral alignment checked just to make sure its all setup ok

Ste_Nova
11-06-04, 07:39 PM
i get 10k out of 4 tyres!