PDA

View Full Version : Suspension advice?

zola
09-06-04, 07:32 PM
Hi people, I've recently uprated my suspension and also lowered it, 35mm at front and 60mm at the back. It looks the biz but the ride is still very uncomfortable. I've put two bump stops on the front, but still doesn't make much difference. Is there anything I can do to make this better?

Jack
10-06-04, 11:15 AM
when you say its uncomfortable, do you mean its too hard & bumpy? What shocks/springs are you using?

Ste_Nova
10-06-04, 11:19 AM
you don't want more bumpstops :P

dunova
10-06-04, 11:26 AM
Have you got anti-roll bars? If so, now you've lowered it it'd be safe to take the anti-roll bars off. With it lowered and the anti-roll bars on it will have just increased under-steer and by taking them off you will individualise the suspension to each wheel and it should feel a little bit better. Be carefull to get used to the handling if you take them off though because it will be over-steering if anything-strut braces would be a good idea if you take them off though

robb
10-06-04, 02:40 PM
If you put stiffer (lowered) suspension kits on you can't expect the ride quality to be as good, of course you will feel bumps more now especially if you have lower profile tyres involved.

Best thing here would be to get adjustable damping rate shockers, that way you can customise the shock rate to your liking.

zola
10-06-04, 04:15 PM
I?ve got Koni shocks all round. I?ve set it to softer ride but it?s still not right. My mechanic says I need stiffer springs at the front to make it better?

robb
10-06-04, 04:51 PM
What do you mean by not right?

Stiffer springs = harder to compress = feel bumps more

unless you are using the std springs?

_JH_
10-06-04, 06:09 PM
as steve has already said, you don't need more bump stops when you lowere a car. I'd have cut them down myself. try removing the extra one and/or cutting down the other before you start fiddling around with anything else

CP
11-06-04, 08:59 AM
If you lower and uprate your suspension it means:

1. Stiffer shorter travel springs are installed
2. damper rating is increased ie lessy easy to depress the piston
3. dampers will prolly be spring loaded themselves ie when you force the piston down it rises again when released

= less vertical movement, less roll and yaw, less ironing out of bumps and a more responsive firmer sporty ride.

On B roads the ride will be a lot rougher - no way of avoiding it really. Take it on a smooth road however and you will be able corner and brake far more effectively.

If you dont like it go back to std springs and buy std type shock absorbers which have been uprated to be a bit firmer. Monroe used to do this sort of thing. Or - try another kit such as Apex or similar?

zola
11-06-04, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the input people, I'll probably go back to std springs as I can't take that kind of ride anymore!

Cheers