PDA

View Full Version : de-badging + de-stripping advice

LukeManic
08-06-04, 09:04 PM
hello guys, i really want my door strips and rear badges taken off me nova. She is a mk2 and white. Im just really worried about ruining her as the paint work is just spot on :?

can you give me some advice please on what to use and what problems i might run into, really worried here :oops:

Muttly
08-06-04, 09:35 PM
I just finished doing it. It?s a real pain but because your car is white it should work fine. Mine was red and so was 2 different colours when finished. The only thing you may need to do it compound your panels to level out the colour but I?ll leave that up to you but since its white you more than likely won?t have to.

The easiest way I?ve found to take them off is with a hair dryer and petrol. First, heat up the first piece you want to take off (lets say the bump strip in front of the door on the wing) make sure you peal it off slowly and do your best to get all of the glue off as its a real pain to get off after. Remember you CANNOT go too slow!!! Take your time. You should only be left with a small amount of glue, soak this with petrol using a cloth. Let it set for a few minutes then scrub it off with a dry cloth. This should remove everything and you should be left with a nice clean panel. Wash it down with some water to get rid of the petrol. The most important thing here is DO NOT light a ciggy. You might light up with it. Repeat this on every panel until its sorted. and the strips are removed and its the same for the badges on the rear.

If you intend doing the bonet aswell be careful as there is 2 holes under the badge on the front.

ALSO because this is a fairly big thing to do. Try not to mess it up (I don?t really know how you could) and you do it at your own risk!!!

Jack
08-06-04, 11:29 PM
a lot of ppl have had problems using petrol/spirits on the paintwork.... try using auto glym tar remover, its pretty good and won't damage your paint.

Don't forget to give it a few coats of polish afterwards.

NOVA'S_RULE!
08-06-04, 11:32 PM
i just finished doin mine all i did was heat it up wi a heat gun/hairdryer then peel it off as best you can then either get some panel wipe or thinners and wet your cloth with them(not to much though)hold the rag on the bit you have just done for 20 seconds then take it off turn ur cloth round and wipe off did mine at work in bout 1 hour, but to say that i am a panel beater and sprayer so i had all the tools i needed there, or you can use petrol which does not do ur paintwork any good at all, i shud no cos i spilt it on the car once when i ran out of petrol and had a jerry can in the back but i had no pipe with it and it spilt all down the rear wing and now its turned the paintwork grey, but i resprayed it a month later.

Jim
09-06-04, 07:56 AM
a lot of ppl have had problems using petrol/spirits on the paintwork.... try using auto glym tar remover, its pretty good and won't damage your paint.

Don't forget to give it a few coats of polish afterwards.

I'd have said exactly what you said :)

Cant stress how much you should use Autoglym Tar remover, it was developed for this type of thing.

You'll also need lots of elbow grease ;)

Jim

Dpnova
09-06-04, 08:30 AM
I agree with using tar remover it does the job

LukeManic
09-06-04, 08:58 AM
ok thanks again guys. off to spend the day doing this ill keep ya posted with some pics later, wish me luck :roll:

LukeManic
09-06-04, 02:31 PM
:( all was going well until i took the strip off under the fuel cap. As she is diesel its stained the paint - ive tried t-cut and has had no improvement any1 help me? It looks quite bad :(

http://www.manicsonline.com/uploads/stain.jpg

nam
09-06-04, 07:38 PM
not too sure if it will work but i get this stuff from pv that brings up weathered and damaged paint work, and it works wonders, it called "SONAX PAINT WORK CLEANER" and its in a red bottle

cheers nam

epo
09-06-04, 08:44 PM
minke that but i rubbed it down and sprayed it when i was sprayin the back pannel ne way