PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket help needed?

Nath
08-06-04, 12:26 PM
ok im not best pleased my head gasket decided to go today on my 1.2, im covered in shitty coloured water from the water tank when i opened it. anyway how much will it cost to get this sorted and is it worth it?

Jack
08-06-04, 12:51 PM
You could do it yourself, took me a day with a haynes manual (well, morning to get the bits and the afternoon to put it all together)... from what i can remember it didn't cost that much either (it was over a year ago so can't remember exactly!)

Alex
08-06-04, 12:58 PM
for parts go to autovaux website. genuine vaux parts for much less. ?11+VAT for a head gasket set!

Stuart
08-06-04, 12:59 PM
right im in the middle of sorting Alex's head gasket out

took about 2.5 hours (working slowly) to get the head off (1.6 injection)

the head gasket set + cambelt and bolts etc from Autovax came to apporx ?40 +vat (cant remember lol)

skimming the head which my local garage is doing is about ?30+VAT and its gonna be ready this time tomorrow CLASS

should have it back on tomorrow nite then in another 2.5 hours.

a waterpump spanner may be handy to buy/borrow.

its all pretty much straight forward stuff

Alex
08-06-04, 02:08 PM
erm gasket ?11+vat
headbolts+washers = ?13 + VAT
Cam belt - ?7.95+VAT

Sorted, respect due

rallyxnova
09-06-04, 11:01 AM
you wanna be careful cambridge.. that looks like advertising to me.

Mark

Alex
09-06-04, 11:45 AM
you wanna be careful cambridge.. that looks like advertising to me.
Mark

LMFAO :lol:

except there is no produce/service being offered

robb
09-06-04, 01:42 PM
Is really easy on non MPi engines,

Took me 30min to take my head off, 10min to check it wasn't warped, 1hr to change all valve stem oil seals and clean all valve parts and back together.......And haven't refitted it yet as my dull ass mate from a garage who is supposed to be qualified got me the wrong gasket set!

Oil seals fitted though!

I would say:

45min off
1hr stem seals (worth doing they are usually f***ed on old cars)
45min on
= 2.5 hrs roughly

Stuart
09-06-04, 04:48 PM
Alex's head was bent as a 9bob note lol

the bloke said its the worst hes seen in 20 years

he had to take 20thou off :s thats 0.8mm to modern folk

Alex
09-06-04, 04:51 PM
tis the only bent thing about me :lol:

Just got to see if autovaux have delivered my parts.
Currently im leaving for work at 6.15 and getting home at 5.30-6 as its the only lift i can catch!

epo
09-06-04, 09:36 PM
did mine over 3 evenings luckly my head didnt need skimmin caugh it in time did however conect 2 pipes wrong on the inlet manifold luckly i used topbuz and sorted it out

novaboy1981
10-06-04, 11:34 PM
ive just done mine, and it was the 1st time id done anything 2 an engine b4! took a little while 2 sort out where everything was but u cant go wrong with a haynes!
cost me ?45 for head set, bolts, cambelt, oil filter and new plugs....well worth doing and a massive saving on getting someone else 2 do it 4 u!

epo
11-06-04, 07:25 PM
ive just done mine, and it was the 1st time id done anything 2 an engine b4! took a little while 2 sort out where everything was but u cant go wrong with a haynes!
cost me ?45 for head set, bolts, cambelt, oil filter and new plugs....well worth doing and a massive saving on getting someone else 2 do it 4 u!

aye thats about what it cost me to do it

mowgli
13-06-04, 11:14 AM
GM used to quote 2 1/2 hours for a strip down, valve reseat, new seals & reassembly and refit. for a non injection motor.