PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a new engine-when should i r/r it?

dunova
08-06-04, 12:11 PM
I'm going to be fitting a new engine in a bit and i'm not sure how long after to rolling road it-mainly because you should run the engine in for 500miles before flooring it/letting the engine labour in a gear and obviously when rolling roading it they will be flooring it. So is 500miles before r/r the way to go or can you do it sooner? Forgot to mention-i'm not just fitting a new engine, i'm stripping down and re-building a gte engine, boring it out to 1650 (maybe 1700), over-sized pistons, crank re-ground, piper cam and vernier pulley, blydenstein b+ head, t40's and a couple of other bits. I'm expecting it to run like shit at first so want to r/r it as soon as poss but (as above) i'm not sure how long i have to wait?

Will F
08-06-04, 03:57 PM
I would wait longer than 500 miles to be honest mate.

I would do at least 1000. It shouldnt blow up or anything though, it will wear the engine a lot more that all. :D

Chris
08-06-04, 04:02 PM
I would do as will has said wait for 1000miles first. At least then you will probably have found any problems that you are going to have with the engine after the rebuild. Thats what I would do.

Chris

Ste_Nova
08-06-04, 04:20 PM
when i did mine i got a tuner in a van to come and get it close... then put 1000 miles on it then rr to get it bang on.... they din't have to rag it to tune it

Jim
08-06-04, 05:36 PM
I've just had mine rebuilt, similar spec to what you've just posted. I'm going to do 1000miles at least before I take mine to a RR.

Jim

dunova
08-06-04, 06:39 PM
Cheers guys. As far as flooring it goes should i drive it sensibly for 1000 miles aswell? Would opening it up (not really ragging it) be a good thing for the engine after 500 miles just to get stuff really working?

Snowface
08-06-04, 06:45 PM
i'd say, stay below 3500/4000rpm fo rthe first 500 miles, then stay below 5K until you get to 1000miles. Then it should be fairly well run in to rev it a bit and give it an 'Italian Tune-up'.

dunova
08-06-04, 06:49 PM
On motorway miles (not that i do that many) should i just keep it at about 3-3.5k revs then? Would the constant revs not be a great thing for the engine? If they are i'll just have to avoid them i suppose :roll:

Funkdocta
08-06-04, 08:00 PM
Yeah, when I had mine rebuilt I was told not to try n clock up the 1k milage on motorways, midrange RPM and motorway driving is ok and wont do any damage but you need to run your engine in by mostly gentle town driving, never strain the engine - try never to put the throtle to the floor, even if it's only brief. I only really used about a quarter of my throttle for the full 1k run in time, it's frustrating but you get used to it and running your engine in effectively will make all the difference!

Aragorn
10-06-04, 01:28 PM
i was always told to use the normal driving rpm range but just not use heavy throttle

ie taking it up to 5500rpm is fine as long as your not flooring it

MC
10-06-04, 01:59 PM
If you fit the correct chokes and get the jets about right to start with, which you can calculate, then it will run sweat as till you RR it.

MC

dunova
10-06-04, 02:19 PM
How will i know which are the right chokes?

MC
11-06-04, 09:13 AM
You'll probably need 32mm chokes to utilize those engine mods.

MC