PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

deanopud
07-06-04, 01:29 PM
at the weekend i was working on mine and my mates nova, i managed to rewire my car e.t.c after my electrical problens last week which took the best part of 6 hours, after doing this and putting in a stereo for my mate lowering his car and putting his alloys on i thought right now i can get on with a piss easy job i will change my steering wheel.I have got an astra gte 16v steering wheel which has been resprayed to match my car, and i thought that it would be an easy job to just rip the old one out and slap the new one on in 5 mins but ohhhhhhh no!!! i took the horn off undid the bolt but still left it on so that if i pulled the steering wheel off it didnt smack me in the mouth. After about 20 mins of banging pulling and swearing i had to just laugh and give up. so without taking the piss how do u take the steering wheel off, it came off fine in my last nova??? :(

Alex
07-06-04, 01:31 PM
WD40

Stuart
07-06-04, 01:42 PM
i used the draper puller and fooked the column up.

with jims we battered the sides (to give the join a side load) and lots of short sharp pulls.

it will just go all of a sudden.

Jack
07-06-04, 03:30 PM
Is it a mk2 wheel? They seem to be a damned sight harder to get off than mk1.... on my saloon i levered it off with a big screwdriver behind the wheel, but this didn't work on the mk2 one

burgo
08-06-04, 12:48 AM
put ya seat rite back and put the back of it down aswell leave that nut on abit put ya feet in the foot well and hang of the steering wheel if u get wo i mean and rock side to side if this dont work then just lots of sharp pulling hurts ya arms but the only way im afraid

Jim
08-06-04, 08:31 AM
Best thing to do is take out your front windscreen. I know this may sound drastic, but this will give you the freedom to smack the steering wheel through the windscreen.

As Camb says. After undoing the bolt, we hit the side of the steering wheel a couple of times, then from the front we hit the steering wheel (turning the wheel so that we were hitting the wheel on one of the three arms that come out from the middle of the steering wheel). I was about to give up as it didn't seem to be budging, then it just pulled off in my hands.

Jim

Stuart
08-06-04, 08:32 AM
and so did the wheel

Jim
08-06-04, 08:40 AM
and so did the wheel

BOOM BOOM!!! Your on form early this morning Stu ;)

Jim

Stuart
08-06-04, 09:02 AM
im on form 24/7 mate

robb
08-06-04, 10:22 AM
Leave the nut on the end though as it will hurt when it finally budges and the nut is off and it smacks you in the face! :lol: