PDA

View Full Version : overheating

gary_1.2Merit
07-06-04, 12:04 PM
if i sit in traffic for too long the temp gauge goes into the red, and steam comes outta de expansion tank!! a m8 said it has sum thing to do wit the electric fan nt workin or the thermisistor nt workin. how can i stop this from happenin. mk1 1.2

dunova
07-06-04, 12:12 PM
Check your water/coolant, check the fan is actually coming on and if they're both fine then replace your thermostat. The fan on my old 1.2 didn't work for a while but that was due to a dodgy connection in one of the wires behind the steering column, but to trace if its a dodgy wire you'll need a multimeter

gary_1.2Merit
07-06-04, 12:16 PM
i dont think the fan is comming on, where is the themistostadt? also what wires do i need to put me multimeter across, the haynes wire diragrams are crap, and i jud did a level electronics!!

dunova
07-06-04, 12:24 PM
The thermostat is on the engine bulkhead-should show you in the haynes and as for wiring-my mate did it coz i havn't got a clue about electronics! sorry :roll:

Stuart
07-06-04, 12:28 PM
lol, the diagrams are a piece of piss to follow, especially if you have an alevel in electonics :d (2nd highest mark in the country in 1999 ;) )

there is a temperature controlled switch in the rad itself, on the passenger side. that may be faulty

also the fan wiring could be dead as already suggested. just unplug the fan, put the multimeter across the wires, not the fan (in volts) and see if it switches with the engine being hot.

the thermostat shouldnt have much to do with the problem.. but they are only about ?5, so replacing it could halp

just make sure the wiring is good and thats about it

Snowface
07-06-04, 06:08 PM
i have a C in GCSE electronics lol.

Only the second highest mark Cambridge? why on earth didn't u get the top mark? :)

epo
07-06-04, 09:08 PM
mine did this when me head gasket was on its way out :?

Stuart
08-06-04, 01:00 PM
i didnt revise for the exams thats why i only got second highest. and i wasnt at a private school lol

my mate picked up 3rd highest :D shamone Long Road is the best place to study Electronics unless you with to pay a mint for homo private schools

Chris
08-06-04, 02:07 PM
or you could disconnect the plug that goes to the switch in the rad and put a wire between the two connectors to short them out and your fan should turn on with the ignition on. This just saves time waiting for your engine to get warm and might save you burning your hands

Chris

Ste_Nova
08-06-04, 04:22 PM
there is a temperature controlled switch in the rad itself, on the passenger side. that may be faulty

drivers side