PDA

View Full Version : steerin wheel popped off in my hands!!!!!

NoVa_KhAn
06-06-04, 11:54 PM
i was luckily only pullin off from my house and i pulled wheel 2 lift my self up 2 get comfortable in my seat and steerin wheel came off!!!

the thread is fcked on my steerin rack and a bolt wont go on again!!!

what can i do??

Paul
07-06-04, 12:01 AM
Realistically you need to think why the steering wheel popped off.

That would seriously start me thinking, what happened if I was doing 70mph on a motorway.

I THINK that you may need a whole new steering rack, and unless you know what you're doing, that is a pro job.

And that will cost you the best part of ?500 I would have thought because it is such an involved job. (Dash out, Wheels off, hub assembly off etc...)

Then it all has to be re-aligned...

May be more cost effective to buy a different Nova and salvage yours for parts...

However, I'm not sure, but you may just be able to replace the top part of the steering rack?

I saw you had a post about converting to an SR engine, maybe its time for a SR?

Paul
07-06-04, 12:02 AM

That would seriously start me thinking, what happened if I was doing 70mph on a motorway.

I THINK that you may need a whole new steering rack, and unless you know what you're doing, that is a pro job.

And that will cost you the best part of ?500 I would have thought because it is such an involved job. (Dash out, Wheels off, hub assembly off etc...)

May be more cost effective to buy a different Nova and salvage yours for parts...

However, I'm not sure, but you may just be able to replace the top part of the steering rack?

doge5644_uk
07-06-04, 12:45 AM
imo, just go to a scrappie or what ever, and just get a new steering coloum. from what u said it sounds like its only the Thread on the pole which is gone ?

n0t to hard a j0b to replace.

BigRuss
07-06-04, 05:36 AM
:o :o lashednova, what are You saying :?: :?:

You need to change the steering column, not a big job at all. You now only need to un-do 4 bolts as the one holding the steering wheel on is already off :lol: :lol:

Get one from a scrappy, shouldn't take you more than 2 - 3 hrs to change and you don't need to have the tracking etc.. set back up as the column is nothing to do with that.

Russell

NoVa_KhAn
07-06-04, 09:23 AM
lol 500 quid!!!!

it popped of cos the thread was fcuked , ill go scrappy n see if i can get one

Stuart
07-06-04, 09:45 AM
which thread? the top one that the wheel nut goes onto, Or the one at the bottom of the column where is goes to the rack

LiD0N
07-06-04, 11:01 AM
put a new thread on it using a die u might have to use a slightly smaller bolt though...

Jack
07-06-04, 01:12 PM
put a new thread on it using a die u might have to use a slightly smaller bolt though...

I was gonna suggest that... if you don't fancy replacing the entire column, then just re-cut the thread at the top.

Elthrin
07-06-04, 04:47 PM
Use a die if you have one. Then you can put lightend stearing column on your spec sheet. :lol:

-tucny-
07-06-04, 05:07 PM

i think some ones been smoking the erb again - 500 quid, dash out, an involved job! its one of the easiest jobs iv ever done.

nova khan u may not think so but your so lucky ur steering wheel came off easily even if you didnt want it to. i got a new steering wheel for mine and tried to take the old one off. i didnt have a puller therefore after wrestleing with the old one, sqirtind wd40 all over and it still not coming off i called the local tyre and exaust type garage and they told me to take it down and theyd sort it for 15 quid. "sound!" i thought so i took it down 15 quid later i was a happy chappy till i noticed my indicaters didnt switch off. when i got home i popped my horn off and noticed that they had chopped half the thread off the column shaft n the bolt was on by about a thread and they hadnt put the horn ring back. i went to the scrappers n got a new column shaft for a fiver it was on in 30mins with the help from my haynes!

its just a couple of bolts at the bottom, two plastic locking clips, a paperclip in your steering lock, two screws, and a twist then the shaft slides out. be careful of the bearings tho!

Paul
07-06-04, 07:25 PM
Ooops, maybe its easier than I thought then...

I thought if part of the rack went yopu had to replace the whole column, rack everything...

I'll shut up now then...

burgo
08-06-04, 12:36 AM
lmfao lashed wot u bin smokin man new colomn from scrappy ?10 tops and bout a hour to fit job done altho if u need a new one u can pay me ?500 ne day

Jim
08-06-04, 08:37 AM
i was a happy chappy till i noticed my indicaters didnt switch off.

I think this is more to do with the Steering wheel. On the standard steering wheel there is a piece of plastic that pushes against a lever that comes out when you use your indicator. On after market steering wheels, you'll find they won't have this piece of plastic to flick the indicators off. I might look to see if I can do anything about this, but it's not really a big deal, just dont be so lazy :P ;)

Jim

Stuart
08-06-04, 09:01 AM
lol you only noticed when i pointed that out to you :)

but with indicators that wont turn off, you'll think your in a new vectra :D

-tucny-
08-06-04, 04:13 PM
i was a happy chappy till i noticed my indicaters didnt switch off.

I think this is more to do with the Steering wheel. On the standard steering wheel there is a piece of plastic that pushes against a lever that comes out when you use your indicator. On after market steering wheels, you'll find they won't have this piece of plastic to flick the indicators off. I might look to see if I can do anything about this, but it's not really a big deal, just dont be so lazy :P ;)

Jim

:o as i said jim they hadnt put the horn ring back on. :idea: :wink:

NoVa_KhAn
08-06-04, 06:01 PM
sorted now done a new thread thank u lads!