PDA

View Full Version : Rocker/Cam Cover Gasket Changing

ChronoCabal
06-06-04, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, just got myself a new gasket from work (why on earth do Halfords call them Rocker Cover Gaskets?? :P), and just wanted to know if it is easy enough to replace.

As far as I can gather - Air filter off, Cam cover off, replace gasket, put it all back together.

Is it as straight forward as that, or is there something I'm missing? Do the nuts have to be tighted to a certain Nm or anything? Any tips would also be appriecated, Cheers!

LT

-tucny-
06-06-04, 06:57 PM
its the easiest gasket to change ever. is the old one a rubber or cork gasket? u may wanna clean both surfaces before you fit the new one if the old ones a rubber one it could have left a bit of a mess behind. it is just how you say, however dnt tighten the bolts up to tight as they are only week and have a habit of losing there threads. dnt forget to put the brackets for ur spark plug leads back on too.

Cheese
06-06-04, 06:58 PM
Yep, its that simple! Make sure you clean both surfaces of old gasket and oil before you fit the new one. There is a specific torque setting, its pretty low like 4flbs.. But just nip all the bolts up, not too much or the gasket will tear, if it starts to bulge out alot from between the cover and the carrier, back the bolts off 1/4 - 1/2 a turn..

Hope that helps :)

robb
07-06-04, 09:48 AM
It is called a rocker cover as it covers the rockers along with the rest of the cam system..

Stuart
07-06-04, 10:12 AM
before fitting get a drill bit thats the same size as the hole on the rocker cover. then open the holes in the cork up with it (by hand). this will stop the gasket becoming deformed when assembling.

id also suggest a smeering of RTV on both sides of the gasket (just to be sure)

nova_rally
07-06-04, 11:09 AM
Don't tighten the bolts up too much. I was replacing the gasket on a mates car coz his borther had made a complete mess of it (only driven 30 miles and it was pissing oil out already) anyway tightening the bolt up and the head snapped clean off. Took all the rest out and the threaded stud that was left in the ca carrier wasn't even hand tight - removed it with fingers. Thats how weak these bolts are. Lucy I have several spares lurking about from god knows how many scrap engines I've pulled apart. :o :oops:

Alan

Stuart
07-06-04, 01:40 PM
umm what size is the thread and head of the bolts for this?

going to aquire some from somewhere ;) just need the size

robb
07-06-04, 02:03 PM
Definately 10mm heads.

best to take a bolt to match them up when you buy them...

I have never sheared one of these after many times of doing them, you all must be giving them full beans...

just nip them up and 1/4 turn...cork expands and contracts remember.

nova_rally
07-06-04, 02:13 PM
M6 bolt with 10 hex head. ISO 8.8

Alan

Stuart
07-06-04, 02:33 PM
best to take a bolt to match them up when you buy them...

sorry whats this "buy them" thing all about lol

_JH_
07-06-04, 02:36 PM
tightening the bolt up and the head snapped clean off. Took all the rest out and the threaded stud that was left in the ca carrier wasn't even hand tight - removed it with fingers. Thats how weak these bolts are.

um, lol, the reason it would've snapped would be you overtightening it. they are strong well past the required torque. the reason it was loose after is because once the head has been snapped off, there is nothing to resist the bolt, and with good condition clean threads, it'll simply undo.