PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

Muttly
05-06-04, 04:45 PM
Hey all.
I'm in the process of gettin a new set of wheels. I've got a bit of a problem. I know I want to go with black wheels, antracite (spell) if black isn't available. But my problem is I don't know what wheels to put on it. I can't decide on what size either. Its currently a 1.2i but it'll be getting an engine swap in a few months so I'm definatly not going smaller than 16" but I'm also considering 17". At the moment the winner seems to be Compomotive Mo's in Cosmos Black but not too sure, 16" or 17"? Any one got any ideas (and pics)?
Cheers.

Adam
05-06-04, 07:44 PM
Stick with 16s, 17s will slow you down.

Muttly
06-06-04, 02:50 PM
Like I said I?m not too bothered bout being slowed down as it?ll be a 1.6 fairly soon (hopefully). Still I need some suggestions on wheels.

-tucny-
06-06-04, 06:31 PM
have a look at team dynamics, they do anthracite n they,ve got loads of different centre caps, decals etc available. the 16s + 17s come in a 45mm offset which isnt too much off the 49mm, however you will need arch mods. iv got the 16s which look mint but id recommend them with a 40 profile tyre rather than a 45, they should help with the power to hoop ratio. 17s would look nicer but will slow u down due to the added weight - the overall radias is almost the same between the 16s with a 45 tyre n the 17s with a 40 tyre

epo
06-06-04, 08:01 PM
have a look at team dynamics, they do anthracite n they,ve got loads of different centre caps, decals etc available. the 16s + 17s come in a 45mm offset which isnt too much off the 49mm, however you will need arch mods. iv got the 16s which look mint but id recommend them with a 40 profile tyre rather than a 45, they should help with the power to hoop ratio. 17s would look nicer but will slow u down due to the added weight - the overall radias is almost the same between the 16s with a 45 tyre n the 17s with a 40 tyre

look in the feature section on mike oxfords feature his 17" team dynamics wheels are well good

Muttly
08-06-04, 01:41 PM
I tried to find him, he must have it down. Any chance you have his ref number?

Jim
08-06-04, 02:06 PM
17's dont slow you down, Mike's proved this by doing a 15sec 1/4mile with 17" wheels from a 1.6 on twin 40's.

Jim

-tucny-
08-06-04, 04:39 PM
17's dont slow you down, Mike's proved this by doing a 15sec 1/4mile with 17" wheels from a 1.6 on twin 40's.

Jim

when its a 1.2 or even a 1.3 or 1.4 - standard it does

Jim
08-06-04, 05:32 PM

Lets get a straight comparison here. Mike ran a 15.02 with 17's. Dan ran a 14.94 with 15's. Mike was 0.08 seconds slower than Dan, both cars are pretty much the same mods wise, but Dan has more torque and a couple more BHP (I'm sure he'll give you the exact details).

So going by the times above, a 1.2 with 17's should only be .08seconds slower than a 1.2 with 15's :?:

Food for thought...

Jim

-tucny-
08-06-04, 06:11 PM

Lets get a straight comparison here. Mike ran a 15.02 with 17's. Dan ran a 14.94 with 15's. Mike was 0.08 seconds slower than Dan, both cars are pretty much the same mods wise, but Dan has more torque and a couple more BHP (I'm sure he'll give you the exact details).

So going by the times above, a 1.2 with 17's should only be .08seconds slower than a 1.2 with 15's :?:

Food for thought...

Jim

food! :D

im saying a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 with standard 13s or gsi 14s or even 15s, no mods etc is faster than if you stick some big heavy 17s on. i know coz im talking from experience - iv put bigger wheels on, iv also had them n larger on my mates cars and we all say the cars just arnt as quick (sluggish). il put some pics of mine when i had my 13s - 122mph - 123mph(pics to prove it, and yeah it was down hill on the motorway :D ) but when i put larger wheels on i got my arse kicked by alsort n i couldnt even get 100mph. if mike got good times with his 17s in his 1.6 then sound iv no experience when it comes to what they can do, im just saying what iv found

epo
08-06-04, 06:49 PM

Food for thought...

Jim

food! :D

im saying a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 with standard 13s or gsi 14s or even 15s, no mods etc is faster than if you stick some big heavy 17s on. i know coz im talking from experience - iv put bigger wheels on, iv also had them n larger on my mates cars and we all say the cars just arnt as quick (sluggish). il put some pics of mine when i had my 13s - 122mph - 123mph(pics to prove it, and yeah it was down hill on the motorway :D ) but when i put larger wheels on i got my arse kicked by alsort n i couldnt even get 100mph. if mike got good times with his 17s in his 1.6 then sound iv no experience when it comes to what they can do, im just saying what iv found

yeah but i thought if u put bigger wheels on it affected ur speedo

i mean u puttin wheels on 3-4" bigger than what it had on when it left the factory :?

Paul
08-06-04, 06:49 PM
Is that 122-123mph from a from a 1.2i?

Muttly
08-06-04, 07:49 PM
Unfortuneatly I?m stuck with what we call the tracker here in Ireland. Basically its an AXA thing that they stick and it monitors your speed. I got the cheapest insurance I could get with this (still ?3500!!) but if I go over 60 I?ll get a nasty letter and a bill that?ll raise my insurance so obviosly I don? care about top speed (anyway its a 1.2i!!!!)

Jack
08-06-04, 11:26 PM
i'd have thought bigger wheels would give slower acceleration but higher top speed.... where as smaller wheels would give lower top speed but you'd get there quicker.... just my 2p's worth...

Jim
09-06-04, 07:52 AM
i'd have thought bigger wheels would give slower acceleration but higher top speed.... where as smaller wheels would give lower top speed but you'd get there quicker.... just my 2p's worth...

Correct, all though I'm not sure exactly how noticable this is. I guess it depends on the engine.

Jim

NOVASH
09-06-04, 08:35 AM
well i have some 16" alloys in anthracite for sale.....look at my feature for pics

-tucny-
09-06-04, 05:05 PM

Correct, all though I'm not sure exactly how noticable this is. I guess it depends on the engine.

Jim

you need the power to be able to take it to a high speed with the big wheels on though. my pic is when i had my 13s so the speedo would have been correctly set up. the larger wheels are almost the same diameter but a lot heavier and wider thats why i couldnt get any speed. i dnt know how to put the pic up so if anyone wants to c it, il email it too u.

Jim
09-06-04, 05:21 PM
my pic is when i had my 13s so the speedo would have been correctly set up

LOL, Nova speedos don't read accuratley over a certain mph. Chances are you were doing about 105mph in reality, but thats besides the point.

Going back to the wheels, buy what you fancy and what you can afford. Be prepared to make arch mods and try and get the correct offset.

Jim

novaexplod
09-06-04, 07:09 PM
so obviously the acceleration and top speed balances out over all :?:

Muttly
09-06-04, 09:26 PM
I guess it a nice set of 17"s when I?ve this holiday payed for.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

tadltd
30-09-05, 09:42 PM
Hi - newbie!

I was looking for a picture of a Compomotive MO wheel in Cosmos Black for a customer, when I came across this thread and would like to offer some advice:

When you're looking at tyre/wheel combinations, always check what the overall rolling radius or diameter is. That's the important thing that governs top speed and acceleration. If you put a larger profile tyre on a 16" rim, and a smaller one on a 17", you can end up with the situation where the 17" wheel will give better acceleration.

For example:

- fit a 205/50 R16 tyre to a 16" rim and you end up with a total diameter (tyre + wheel) of 611mm

- fit a 205/40 R17 tyre to a 17" rim and you end up with a total diameter of 596mm

The 17" wheel and tyre combo have a 15mm smaller diameter and will therefore give better acceleration, but less of a top speed. ;)

Muttly
03-10-05, 02:38 PM
Hey. I'm not too sure if they do it anymore. You should e-mail them. I'm not too sure of the address. I'll dig it out later. I e-mailed them and they sent me on a pic of the wheel. I'll try and dig it out later if I still have the mail.

Ste L
03-10-05, 04:09 PM
Hi - newbie!

I was looking for a picture of a Compomotive MO wheel in Cosmos Black for a customer, when I came across this thread and would like to offer some advice:

When you're looking at tyre/wheel combinations, always check what the overall rolling radius or diameter is. That's the important thing that governs top speed and acceleration. If you put a larger profile tyre on a 16" rim, and a smaller one on a 17", you can end up with the situation where the 17" wheel will give better acceleration.

For example:

- fit a 205/50 R16 tyre to a 16" rim and you end up with a total diameter (tyre + wheel) of 611mm

- fit a 205/40 R17 tyre to a 17" rim and you end up with a total diameter of 596mm

The 17" wheel and tyre combo have a 15mm smaller diameter and will therefore give better acceleration, but less of a top speed. ;)

that why you use a 195/45/16 tyre on 16's :wink:

tadltd
04-10-05, 01:52 AM
Well, that's only given as an example to show that it's not just wheel diameter that should be taken into consideration.

The tyre you fit depends largely on the width of the wheel. If it was a 7.5x16 or 8x16 then you'd really want to be looking at something wider than a 195... :wink: