PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 > Mk2 Dash conversion?

Cassie-Nova
04-06-04, 10:52 AM
Hi guys,

I've got a Mk1 Merit an its pretty appauling - body work/engine are perfect (after some work to the engine anyways...)...its appauling as it came with a "parking meter coin holder" instead of a radio/casette and no speakers - im working on that now - some really really nasty wheels - got some rims, but no tyres (half way there ;)) - and NO seatbelts in the back at all! AND the lil bulb behind the hazard switch didnt work, the cheek of it all eh?!

So after debaging the boot and taking of the "Go Faster" stripes that were down the side, good ol Cassie doesn't look too bad from the outside..... its when you look in and see the chocolate brown dashboard which turns your stomach over. I know there is the stuff you can spray on to the dash to change its colour.

But what i wanted to know was how easy is it to fit a Mk2 dashboard in the car? Would all the heaters/hazard switch/lighting controls etc etc have to be moved???? How much do they usually go for aswell?

Any one got any pic's of a before/after in there car?

Cheers guys! :)

Jack
04-06-04, 12:44 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy :)

just done this on my saloon... i know what u mean about the nasty brown mk1 dash lol. The heater/blower etc controls are easy, just might have to bend the end of the wire to fit it to the new controls. The electrics are mostly a case of matching the wires, altho a Haynes manual helps a lot. My saloon was a merit and didn't have the holes in the heater matrix for the side vents in the dash, but this is no big deal.

You can pick up a dash for about ?20-50, look in scrappys, ebay and on here. If you want a GSi one, i've got one sat in my bedroom doing nothing... :wink:

epo
05-06-04, 09:26 AM
dont fit ne rear seat belts just fit harnesses

Cassie-Nova
05-06-04, 03:48 PM
That GSi dash you got RK, think it'd be an easy fit into a Mk 1 Merit? How much?

Why fit harness's in the back and not seat belts?

epo
06-06-04, 07:08 PM
That GSi dash you got RK, think it'd be an easy fit into a Mk 1 Merit? How much?

Why fit harness's in the back and not seat belts?

bolt the harneses to the back seat belt mounts

Cassie-Nova
06-06-04, 10:56 PM
Yeah mate, but why fit harness's? We talking racing harness's here or? Not entirely sure what you mean, sry.

Jack
07-06-04, 12:58 PM
PM sent!

I think epo means to fit racing style harnesses for the front seats, and use the rear setbelt mounts to bolt them in. They'll give better safety in the event of a crash... and also look a lot better than the normal inertia reel belts :wink:

gary_1.2Merit
07-06-04, 04:46 PM
but u wont pass an mot wit a rear seat and no belts. if uve got rear seats u HAVE to ave belts for em. if u wanna use harness then take the rear bench seat out.

Cassie-Nova
07-06-04, 05:31 PM
but u wont pass an mot wit a rear seat and no belts. if uve got rear seats u HAVE to ave belts for em

Sorry to disillusion you mate, but i have an MOT certificate with 9 months left on it...aswell as the MOT certificates for the last 16 years on the car...and its never had rear seatbelts. Can photocopy it for ya if you want? ;)

epo
07-06-04, 06:59 PM
cars a certain age are exempt from havin rear seat belts

my mk1 fester was