PDA

View Full Version : How much better are bildenstein heads than skimmed/ported?

dunova
04-06-04, 09:58 AM
As it says-how much better are they than having a standard head (1.6) skimmed, ported and polished? How much more bhp are you looking at?

Stuart
04-06-04, 10:48 AM
thats what a blyndestein head is (but better as he knows what to do with them)

you can do it yourself (the porting that is) but unless you know whats what, your likely to fook it up.

dunova
04-06-04, 10:49 AM
Okay so there's no point in forking out ?500+ on a bildenstein then?Might aswell just get it skimmed ported and polished

dunova
04-06-04, 11:00 AM
Who's Bildenstein?

Stuart
04-06-04, 11:07 AM
hes only some chap that won most racing series in his day.

hes a bit of a master :)

oh and a B+ head etc has bigger vales and ao on.

so to be fair, any effort that you do probably wont be as beneficial (no offence but it is an art)

dunova
04-06-04, 11:15 AM
I'm not goin2 be doin it myself mate! I'm not that brave, but i'm sure if i get it done by someone other than bildenstein it will still be a pretty good job and there wont be that much difference

Jack
04-06-04, 11:21 AM
u mean Blydenstein? :P

everyone who has big bhp does well with his head work

dunova
04-06-04, 11:26 AM
How do you contact him? How much are you looking at? Does he supply a new head? And yes, BLYDENSTEIN

MC
04-06-04, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, you will not get better than a Blydenstein head, and more importantly you'll get a good friendly reliable service. The B+ is only around ?460, and for that you get larger inlet and exhaust valves, wasted stems, porting and a 4 angle valve seat.

Be scepticle of any average joe that says they'll port and polish for peanuts. Anyone can take metal out of the head, but you need to make sure it comes from the right place, and that the flow around the valve is right. Also, ask where they plan to polish!

MC

dunova
04-06-04, 11:48 AM
Okay boss how can i get in contact? Website?

Jack
04-06-04, 12:35 PM
afaik theres no website, but take a look in TV mag, he's always got a small ad in there near the back somewhere.

Dpnova
04-06-04, 12:42 PM
http://www.blydenstein.co.uk/

Jack
04-06-04, 12:49 PM
ok i'll eat my words about him not having a website then lol :roll: :lol:

Dpnova
04-06-04, 12:54 PM
:wink:

dunova
04-06-04, 01:02 PM
Cheers guys i'm feeling enlightened and quite excited (but not at the thought of spending ?450-?450!) , i think they're definately worth investing in though and should make a very quick engine out of my 1.6 :D

_JH_
04-06-04, 03:07 PM
you get larger inlet and exhaust valves

how much bigger than the standard 1.6 valves are they? I thought that he added the 1.6 size valves to heads for smaller engines, and left the 1.6 valve size alone?

MC
04-06-04, 04:01 PM
No, both 1mm larger.

MC

mark_GSi
04-06-04, 04:52 PM
i had a stage 4 head donw by cylinder head developments asd was Very Very happy with the service and work, even put a sticker with the company name and number

andy weston is that good!!!

:D :D

MechaT
04-06-04, 10:27 PM
You've probably looked at the website now but he does a whole range. From simple port n polish, thru A pack, to B++ (Xtra big valves) So the price is different depending on what you get.

Barn
05-06-04, 12:11 AM
got mine cheap as chips....come on, haha

keeping the std size valves though coz I can't afford to run bigger valves/twin 40's etc

S_Gault
05-06-04, 07:03 PM
you dont need the big valves until other things are changed. the flowbench doesnt lie.

CHD mentioned above are pretty good.. id second that

Steven

m.d.
06-06-04, 12:00 PM
i fully ported my head but not polished as this looses power due to it causing the fule to drop out of suspension and not burn properly.
even tho ive been told that the one i did was pretty good it will never be as good as someone liky blydentein who knows exactly what to do with that head. if i had the money id get one from him deffo

burgo
06-06-04, 07:37 PM
actually u can make the exhaust ports shine like a mirror it is just the inlet u have to b careful wiv but 80 grit paper is safe enough

MC
08-06-04, 11:53 AM
Most people missunderstand the concept of having a cylinder head modified by Bill.

Bill only offers specific modifications such as the A, B and B+ because the average customers knows nothing except that they want a faster car. If you and visit Bill in person, discuss you want from your engine, its character and its intended use, he will tailor make the head to suit. It won't be any more expensive, just what you want.

I am having my 1600 cylinder head from a Mk1 Golf GTi modified by Bill now. Nobody would do the work I wanted as it was difficult, and valves were not available, even Bill only offered an A pack at first. Once I'd visited him and conveyed what I hoped to achieve, he has set about making the head work for me. He has had valves made especially for the application, and I'm very pleased with the progress.

So the moral is, whoever does your head work, don't just be happy with something off the shelf, talk to the person and get the most appropriate modifications for you.

MC

Funkdocta
08-06-04, 10:41 PM
So what kind of performance increases can you expect on a standard engine? Are there any gaurantees for the increases?

MC
09-06-04, 08:50 AM
Bill makes no guarantees because he knows he doesn't have to, but knowing him personally, if somebody came back unhappy, he would take it seriously, and endeavour to solve the situation.

I can't remember the exact figures, it'll say on his site, I think for a B+, your looking at around 15% extra on a standard engine.

I can't emphasise enough, that you should either phone or visit him, he is a very friendly man and loves talking to people and explaining any issue.

MC

dunova
09-06-04, 08:55 AM
I'd love to meet him but his workshop is in the middle of a load of fields miles away! I think i'll give him a call....

Barn
09-06-04, 01:35 PM
is it possible to gas flow and port a Blydenstein A Pack head...or has this been done already by Mr B... ?