PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the 1/4 mile?

TWAG
03-06-04, 11:40 PM
Right, im proberly guna go up the strip at pv, but it will be the first time ive done it.

May sound a bit gay, but has any one got any tips?

Dpnova
03-06-04, 11:42 PM
i did a 2 sec reaction time lol so pay attention to the lights even though ur reaction is part of your time, dont hit the limter and dont miss a gear. your be fine

srs1
03-06-04, 11:46 PM
acceleartor and clutch are the key

dont ott the power and nail the gear every change.

and think you are leannardo de cuntio. your flying

TWAG
03-06-04, 11:49 PM
cheers, is the strip real grippy? or is there a lot of wheel spin? (im running a valver)

Dpnova
03-06-04, 11:50 PM
its quite grippy but it looks wet lol dont know what the stuff is they put down

burgo
04-06-04, 12:36 AM
hold it between 3500 and 4000 and pre stage then stage then as soon as u see the first orange light come on dump the clutch dont wait for the green trust me do this and get ya changes ok ull b fine

badnova
04-06-04, 08:17 AM
i aint done one eihter so really it aint that gay
i should think there is quite alot of people that aint on here

Jim
04-06-04, 08:42 AM
Your reaction time has nothing to do with your finish time. You could sit there and wait for the other car to cross the line before you launch if you want. It's not a race against the other car, it is purely you v's the clock.

My advice is to pull up slowly as there are 2 lines that you cross which are the different stages. Once you cross the two lines (provided the other car is in place) the lights will then be activated.

I tried holding the car at different revs when I launched. It depends on the car as to what revs you should launch at. I got my best time by holding the revs at around 3000rpm. Some people hold them higher than that, it all depends really. I've only done 3 runs so I'd like to try launching at higher revs when I next go to Santa Pod.

Just remember to have fun. It'll be over before you know it and you'll be turning round and joining the queue again ;)

Have fun

Jim

TWAG
04-06-04, 08:48 AM
Cheers guys, think im guna have a go and see what happens!

Look out for me if your going to pv!

Stuart
04-06-04, 09:01 AM
it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning

lmao

Hazel
04-06-04, 11:33 AM
LMAO!!!! ^^^
at least you're honest! :P

Ste_Nova
04-06-04, 12:56 PM
make sure you look like a cock by going past both lines then reversing back :lol:

Dpnova
04-06-04, 12:57 PM
i had to reverse back :oops: :roll:

Mark T
04-06-04, 01:22 PM
I usually pull away like i woulod do from a set of traffic lights and then feed the power in. My clutch control is not as good as my accelerator, so I try not to rely on the clutch when pulling away. With a powerfull FWD car high rev starts result in too much wheelspin anyway..

dan_mk1
04-06-04, 01:28 PM
i had to reverse back :oops: :roll:

lol, i went past the line and couldnt get the fucker into reverse! :evil: :lol:

Stuart
04-06-04, 01:42 PM
youn know why that was dan??!! ............................... its french thats why

dan_mk1
04-06-04, 04:52 PM
lol :fist:

tom_beverley
04-06-04, 05:10 PM
ive never done it either, but i dont think its worth the bother in my 1.2 :oops: . ill have to remember these tips when i get summet bigger!

Ian
04-06-04, 06:58 PM
yeah reaction doesnt count, try and get a good launch look on your slips for you 0-60ft time try get that as low as possible.

let some air out of tyres for more grip, maybe down to 15-20psi, pump rear up harder.
bring foot pump lol.

peester
04-06-04, 07:13 PM
i use the handbrake. just before the off; hold revs @ torquiest point (bout 4,500rpm for me) and sit just below/on the bite; lights change drop the handbrake and floor the throttle.
my best technique anyway.. not sure thats any use of turbo'd or mad bhp n/a cars but even my boggo gsi spins for england at the best of times.

scott.parker
04-06-04, 07:35 PM
Well as jim ian and peester say,try all thes type of things,but allso when i was last down the pod i found that the lane on the left(when your lining up to go down) i found had more grip to lannch,but seamed to make it slower at the end,and the othere lane was the othere way round,so try getting a go on both sides mate..

scott

CP
04-06-04, 10:58 PM
NOS :wink: obviously :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesnt matter if you are shit at starting then :lol:

broody
05-06-04, 12:39 AM
any point me trying it, or is there no point with a F16WR.
How much time do you spend queing for it to get your 3 runs?

Jim
05-06-04, 10:21 AM
Scott, I think it depends on the day on the lanes, and theres probably an element of you convincing yourself that one lane is better than the other. Just for the record, the drag cars at Santa Pod a few weeks ago were using the right hand lane.

any point me trying it, or is there no point with a F16WR.
How much time do you spend queing for it to get your 3 runs?

Is this before or after you do the burnout? :lol: If you like Neil we can put a parked vehicle at the end of the strip so you have something to aim for :lol: :wink:

Jim

Dpnova
05-06-04, 10:23 AM
I ran my better time in the left hand lane actually

How odd :?

broody
05-06-04, 11:10 AM
Is this before or after you do the burnout? If you like Neil we can put a parked vehicle at the end of the strip so you have something to aim for

Jim

very funny :lol: