PDA

View Full Version : Whats the quickest way to remove an engine?

JonL
03-06-04, 09:06 AM
Got a 1l to put my 2l from my old nova into, i really don't care about the 1L engine, gonna bin it, so whats the quickest way of getting it out?

Also i know i am gonna have to pop out the drive shafts, whats the best way to do this?

Thanks

Stuart
03-06-04, 09:22 AM
undo the lower pinch bolt for the steegin knuckle-ball joint, pop that and then that should give you the room to pop the shafts.

best way is out through the bottom (oooh er lol). but in some cases you may need to undo the passenger side tca and tie bar to get it all out of the way.

robb
03-06-04, 09:57 AM
Put the car on axle stands with enough clearance to get the engine underneath, then off with exhaust manifold, driveshafts (put a tub under!), tie bars (possibly do these first as they can be a c**t), wiring, hoses (again use a tub), clutch, gearlinkage, throttle, choke cable, jack it on balance point, undo mounts and then drop it and drag out.

If you are worried about the motor in any way (or the floor) then lower it on the jack and put some scrap wood under to take any falls.

No faster way!

Ste_Nova
03-06-04, 12:29 PM
take both lower arms and tiebars off..... leave the shafts in.... drop the whole lot on the floor

mikeyredtop
03-06-04, 01:35 PM
oxyoceteline!

JonL
03-06-04, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all those replies guys

One question, where is the balance point on the block?

Ben
03-06-04, 02:17 PM
I undo the 2 hub nuts, undo whole hub from strut yank the shafts out then undo mounts and drop out, leaving Tie bars etc all in situ.

burgo
03-06-04, 07:00 PM
balence point is the right of the engine lookin at it from the front put abit of wood on ya jack so u dont damage the sump