PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start (2.0 16v GTE)

novagte2.0
02-06-04, 07:56 PM
Hi
A mate of mine has a nova gte with a 2.0 16v (Redtop) from a cavalier. For some strange reason it won't start. When he trys to start it, the indicators come on at the rear, and the healights come on!!! When he switches the headlights on and tries to start it, the ignition light comes on and the guages start to work (just!) and the hazard lights come on!!!

There is no alarm fitted and he has stripped the whole dash out trying to find the problem. He has also checked all the wiring loom under the bonnet and there are no problems there as well.

Thanks for any advice given

Rich

a2lt16v
03-06-04, 10:09 AM
just a thought replace your back break lights. jus tthe bulbs. mine did something like this and inside the bulb the filaments in the twin bulb were touching and it was doing weird stuff like that. or it might just be the hazrad switch

Will F
03-06-04, 10:11 AM
Sounds like the earth strap matey.
Check the main earth from the gearbox to the chasis.

Can cause all sorts of weird problems.

TWAG
04-06-04, 09:20 AM
Definatly sounds like an earth fault!

Check all earths around the engine bay, and even under dash.

I had a similar problem, my indicaters come on instead of headlights, turned out to be a broken earth wire.

jim sri
05-06-04, 04:29 PM
yep, deffo earthing problem. main gearbox to chassis one with the 13mm bolt. also make sure the connectors to the battery are firmly on.

novagte2.0
05-06-04, 07:56 PM
IT STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

My mate removed the earth strap, cleaned up the chassis earth point. Put the gearbox earth strap back on to the chassis and moved the light earth connection to the front panel.

Fired up first time! 8)

Thanks for all your help.

My mate will get some pics of it soon.

Rich

big_steve_x
07-06-04, 08:32 PM
tut tut tut, earth strap i was just about to say! oh well, all sorted!