PDA

View Full Version : Crashed my car, need advice!

sam_richardson
01-06-04, 12:28 PM
i lost control on a roundabout in the wet cos of a worn tire, and i hit the kerb hard enough to put a nice big dent and crack in the alloy wheel and tyre. :(

i can feel when i drive along that the camber on that wheel has changed and the handing is really snatchy. :|

as i'm not sure what exactly has been buckled i guessed i should just change the whole rear axle assembly, but could anyone else suggest if there's a quicker and easier way? :?

I'm well pissed off but i suppose i could try and be positive and take it as an opportunity to get a axle with rear discs ?! :? :wink:

robb
01-06-04, 03:36 PM
Check you haven't just buggered the wheel as this could cause odd handling.....

jack it up and spin it, then try another to compare. Also look for stress marks on the arm of the axle and the mountings.....

burgo
01-06-04, 07:20 PM
check ya stub axle first cos u dont wanna hav to change the whole axle if just that is bent

rikih
01-06-04, 11:08 PM
steering rack?

burgo
01-06-04, 11:13 PM
gd point ya could of bent a track rod

Stuart
01-06-04, 11:14 PM
can we all get on the same axle please.

i belive its the REAR that he damaged.

robb
02-06-04, 08:52 AM
any news on the job sam?

sam_richardson
06-06-04, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks,

had a look today, got the stub axle of, and it definitely looks bent so hopefully i'll get away with just changing that.

can i get the gemetry tested on the car once its done somehow?

ta, Sam

robb
07-06-04, 09:31 AM
Yeah you can go for a 4 wheel alignment, although you won't be able to adjust the rear anyway.

To check that the car is straight you will need to put it on a jig.

Robb