PDA

View Full Version : JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!

BLueNOvaGSI
01-06-04, 09:05 AM
At approximately 01:45 this morning some little ***kwit broke into my car!!!!! There is nothing taken and there is no damage to the windows, locks etc. The lock barrel is still with the car but it has been pushed so far down in between the the door panel. I have no alarm system and there is no central locking system on the car, it is just totally standard!

A member of the public had called the police and they must of got here pretty quick (which I find unusual)??? as I said there is no damage whatsoever!

I am in a bit of a predicament as I don't really know what to do now.
The car is insured fully comp but it is insured to be GARAGED!! which it wasn't last night.

Any ideas on what I should do now? I have to wait for the scene of crime investigators to come out as this is the second car in 1 week to be broken into in the same road!

I AM ***KING FUMING!!!!!!
:cry:

Jim
01-06-04, 09:25 AM
You say theres no damage other than the lock barrel? If so, then no need to report it to the Insurance company. Get yourself a replacement lock from Vauxhall and get it fitted (or fit it yourself, it's not difficult).

Next, get yourself a disklock. It won't stop them breaking into your car, but it might put them off and should sto them from driving the car away should they attempt it.

Secondly, get yourself an alarm. As a PVG co-ordinator I'm surprised you haven't already got it alarmed. Surely everyone knows to get an alarm for their Nova? It's not exactly hard to break into these cars (as you've experienced) so do as much as you can to minimise the chance of them breaking in and stealing the car.

Jim

-tucny-
01-06-04, 09:51 AM
get an alarm sharpish!!! you never know they might try again - tonight, next week? you can pick up a cheap alarm that'll do the job for around 60 quid. if u delock it too then pick up a central locking kit for about 40 quid. thats 100 quid if you fit it yourself. i wish i did that before some t**t broke in to mine n f**ked all my locks, knicked my parcel shelf, 6 x 9s, amp, 2 subs, box, cd changer, cds, cut all my wires. it all would have cost me over a grand to replace so for 100 quid its well worth it id say!

Jack
01-06-04, 09:53 AM
Or even de-lock it. If they've mangled the lock I'm guessing they're just kids (there's much easier ways to get into novas leaving the lock intact), and a de-locked door will confuse them enough to make them move on to the next car and leave yours lol

As Jim said, disklocks are good - a bit of money sure, but not only are they a great visual deterrent they're also very strong. Alarms aren't too expensive, if you just want something to go off when the doors are opened and they're relatively easy to wire in too (altho if you're unsure its definately worth spending the extra and getting it pro fitted, a thatcham one will also save you money on insurance)

At least there wasn't any major damage to the car, and the police are taking an interest! Normally they wouldn't care!

BLueNOvaGSI
01-06-04, 10:02 AM
I know what your saying and agree, I had alarms on the previous 3 nova's that I owned but not this one. I've only had it 2 months and I am ashamed to say this but I just don't have the money even for a cheap alarm system! (like the one I've seen in demon tweeks for ?59.95)

So, this is why I'm in a predicament, lack of funds.........what do you do? :oops: :oops:

Will
01-06-04, 10:14 AM
well if you mean claiming for not claiming? do we relaly need to answer the qn?

door locks are pennys, hell ive got one if u want for a few ?s....

also your excess would mean the claim wud be pointless

as for an alarm, a good crock lock should do the trick....... it has with myself. depends on the nova after all mines a bog standard 1.2 merit so nothing to steal etc.

another thing, if you have insured it garaged is it really every garaged? in fact do you own a garage? pmsl, if it was ever stolen and u dont infact have access to a garage then your claim will probably be rejected.......

the difference between garage, driveway and road regarding insurance in most areas is usually abt ?30....... unless you live in a really bad crime area is it really worth it? :?

BLueNOvaGSI
01-06-04, 10:16 AM
Where do you live bud?

Pm sent

srs1
01-06-04, 10:19 AM
i think the simple answer is what your insurance says it is.

put it in the garage.

if you are that skint, then if you are going to the pv show, i will bring what i call my 50p lock for you.

gear box to hand brake lock with 2 keys.
as it is what i call it. yours for 50p.
a small deterant if something

BLueNOvaGSI
01-06-04, 10:22 AM
Yes I am going to PVS..........pm sent

Jim
01-06-04, 12:19 PM

LOL, typical Will, bumps the price up on something just cause it's graced his path ;)

Jim

Ste_Nova
01-06-04, 12:44 PM
http://www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/
http://www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/gfx/Nova%20door%20locks%20pair%20Big%20.jpg

Will
01-06-04, 12:45 PM

LOL, typical Will, bumps the price up on something just cause it's graced his path ;)

Jim

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Barn
01-06-04, 12:54 PM
nova's are unbelievably easy to get into! shocking.

so are most vaux's around that age though

get a new lock set...disclock/cheapy alarm...job done

Ben
01-06-04, 05:17 PM
I locked my keys in my GTE on Sunday, took less than 20 seconds to get in with not 1 bit of damage at all.

Far to easy, but depends on your car really.

I like to leave them easy to get into and leave nothing in there, much rather that than letting them bend the door or screwdriver the lock.

Like Jim said fit a disklock as they stall the determind theif 1/4 of an hour and they normally give up by then.

If i was you i would fit a kill switch somewhere just to stop them knicking it and it free to do (most people have an old switch lying round or double up the use of an exsisting one).

Adam
01-06-04, 06:42 PM
Use a kill switch on the fuel pump, so you can switch the pump on or off, then hide the switch somewhere.
Also you can fit Solex locks, which are much harder to get into. Like a octaganol(spelling) shape key hole.

Ben
01-06-04, 06:45 PM
I wouldnt waste the money on Solex, they are pants.

Jack
01-06-04, 06:55 PM
I wouldnt waste the money on Solex, they are pants.

i had solex's on mine, rather than scredriver-ing the lock barrel they just bashed round the lock and bent all the door in the process :(

Mel
01-06-04, 07:29 PM
sorry bout the break-in.

what nova are you driving? FC is a lot dearer for me than TPFT, and for what? something that covers windscreens etc? not worth it IMO..

if i was you and needed the money, i'd have stuck with TPFT and used the spare money for an alarm. i live in a not-so-perfect town, (with lots of car crime), and am on TPFT as it would be pointless insuring it FC seeing as how its worth, what, ?500?

pick up another barrel, they're cheap and easy to fit.

BLueNOvaGSI
02-06-04, 09:29 AM
This is what I drive, I know it's not much but it's my pride and joy!

http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v26/NOva2/sport4.jpg
http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v26/NOva2/sport3.jpg

Anyway I just want to thank you guys for your views.

Mel
02-06-04, 09:26 PM
This is what I drive, I know it's not much but it's my pride and joy!

nice nova. only fing is what you said --^ "its not much" << not in the eyes of insurance companies its not.. they will see a nova (H reg one at that) and give you the basic rate. my old 1.2 j reg 5 door nova had very little wrong with it and got me ?720 (thas with bit of rust on the bottom of the doors, and a lil scratch in the wing), so for a 5 door with e/w, c/l etc, that gets that, what would you get back on yours? i'm sure they prolly wont give u any back on the alloys (if they happen to get nicked/wrecked) unless its in the policy (Will or any ins. know-it-alls correct me if i'm wrong on that)..

im not havin a go or nothing, i'm just saying, is it really worth paying FC insurance for a car that's not gunna get u much back at the end of it? just for a couple of extra bonus'es on ur policy?

in my eyes, not (except of course if FC was cheaper for you than TPFT, then i take back what i said lol)

sorry for the long rambled post lmao..hope it made some sense :lol:

totalnova
02-06-04, 10:18 PM
dont no if this helps but i found this for you cheap new locks have a look you can thank me later
http://www.avsvauxhallbreakers.co.uk/3020/frames.php

Jack
03-06-04, 10:00 AM
in my eyes, not (except of course if FC was cheaper for you than TPFT, then i take back what i said lol)

heh, i got a quote the other day for the saloon FC... there was a bit on the website that said "The value of your car is low, try TPFT to save some money" so tried that.... and TPFT came out ?200 more expensive than FC... :? :lol:

BLueNOvaGSI
03-06-04, 10:27 AM
:o

Mel
04-06-04, 12:17 AM

heh, i got a quote the other day for the saloon FC... there was a bit on the website that said "The value of your car is low, try TPFT to save some money" so tried that.... and TPFT came out ?200 more expensive than FC... :? :lol:

yeah thas the weird thing. last year my bro got a quote for his modded car.. TPFT came out 100 quid dearer than FC :lol: it happens in some occasions that FC is cheaper..

anyhoo, nova2, what have you decided/done about the car? have you got it sorted yet?

BLueNOvaGSI
04-06-04, 08:38 AM
No, I'm hoping to get some bits bought upto the vauxhall show this weekend from a couple of people.

I'll see what happens.............everyones been very helpful :lol:

ydg27
04-06-04, 11:16 AM
your nova looks ace - real rally shlagg

missing mine already :cry:

BLueNOvaGSI
08-06-04, 10:52 AM
Well................could not get any locks, airpipe etc @ PVS! What a waste of time!!! :lol:

Col_Mk1
08-06-04, 06:13 PM
stick a dog in ur car :lol: