PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a chav

Philsutton
31-05-04, 04:40 PM
The press in Britain has recently been having fun mocking a group for which pejorative descriptions have been created such as ?non-educated delinquents? and ?the burgeoning peasant underclass?. The subjects of these derogatory descriptions are said to be set apart by ignorance, fecklessness, mindless violence and bad taste.
To illustrate the last of these, critics point to their style of dress: a love of flashy gold jewellery (hooped earrings, thick neck chains, sovereign rings and heavy bangles, which all may be lumped together under the term bling-bling); the wearing of white trainers (in what is called ?prison white?, so clean that they look new); clothes in fashionable brands with very prominent logos; and baseball caps, frequently in Burberry check, a favourite style. The women, the Daily Mail wrote recently in a characteristic burst of maidenly distaste, ?pull their shoddily dyed hair back in that ultra-tight bun known as a ?council-house facelift?, wear skirts too short for their mottled blue thighs, and expose too much of their distressingly flabby midriffs?.
This upsurge of popular distaste towards one group may be evidence for a cultural shift back towards a class-ridden British society?at least the fear that it might be so is causing some alarm in liberal circles. Critics point to the copying of the style by many younger television celebrities as a further dumbing-down of that medium. Much of the attention is due to the experience of a Web site, which was intended to be humorous but which was infiltrated by extremists who threatened to turn it into a hate site.
From a linguistic perspective the most interesting aspect is the wide variety of local names given to the type. Scots call them neds (often said to be an acronym of ?non-educated delinquents?, but that?s a folk etymology, given credence by being mentioned as fact during a debate in the Scottish parliament in 2003; it?s actually from an abridged form of the given name Edward, which was attached to this group in the period of the teddy-boys, who dressed in a version of Edwardian costume), while Liverpudlians prefer scallies (a term of long-standing for a boisterous, disruptive or irresponsible young man); Kev is common around London (presumably from the given name Kevin, common among this group and popularised through the portrayal on his television show by the comedian Harry Enfield of an idiotic teenager with that name). Other terms recorded from various parts of the country are janners (from Plymouth), smicks, spides, moakes and steeks (all from Belfast), plus bazzas, scuffheads, stigs, stangers, yarcos, and kappa slappers (girls who wear Kappa brand tracksuits, slapper being British slang for a promiscuous or vulgar woman).
The term that has become especially widely known in recent weeks, at least in southern England, is the one borrowed for the name of the Web site, chav. A writer in the Independent thought it derived from the name of the town of Chatham in Kent, where the term is best known and probably originated. But it seems that the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn?t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is quite new to most people.
Other terms for the class also have Romany connections; another is charver, Romany for prostitute. Yet another is the deeply insulting pikey, presumably from the Kentish dialect term for gypsy that was borrowed from turnpike, so a person who travels the roads.
Did chavi die out, only to be reinvented recently? That seems hardly likely from the written and anecdotal evidence; what we?re seeing is a term that has been in active but inconspicuous use for the last 150 years suddenly bursting out into wider popular use in a new sense through circumstances we don?t fully understand.

epo
31-05-04, 04:48 PM
its like readin all about me :lol:

Philsutton
31-05-04, 04:51 PM
:lol: must bring mermories

http://www.dogbomb.co.uk/board/arc/topic/19392.html

found another good site

Philsutton
31-05-04, 04:54 PM
the Glasgow version of a chav/kev http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/

epo
31-05-04, 05:30 PM
lol there spot on

DUNOVA.
31-05-04, 06:31 PM
Here's one for me and broos3 :lol:

On your visit to Glasgow it is probable that you will be confronted by some sort of Rangers/Celtic rivalry, be it the blood and violence of a match day or the simple sectarian chanting of one ned to another. No matter what form it takes, it is essential to have at least a little knowledge of this rivalry.

"moan then ya pricks"

There is a major sectarian factor involved with this rivalry. Rangers are the Protestant team and Celtic are the Catholic team (yes, I know there are technicalities surrounding this but do you think the people using it as an excuse to batter each other have and knowledge of these technicalities? No, so shut it). This has deep historical roots, which I can't be bothered explaining right now but basically what it means is that the fans of both clubs have a good reason to beat the crap out of each other at every opportunity.

If you ever have the misfortune of being in Glasgow on a match day, it is advisable to stay indoors for that whole day since it is likely outside you'll find some extremely disgruntled fans of the losing team looking for a fight or some extremely drunk and happy fans of the winning team...looking for a fight.

How can you spot these people? Well it isn't too hard. All celtic fans will be carrying Irish flags and wearing green, and all Ranger fans will be carrying Union flags or Red Hand of Ulster flags and wearing blue. Both sets of fans will generally be carrying buckfast and some may be carrying knives or screw-drivers or hammers. If you see any large groups of these people it is advisable to steer clear of them.

On non match days the only real perpetrators of sectarian violence are the neds who will swan around the city centre wearing either a Rangers top or a Celtic top looking for another ned with the opposing team's top on, and call him either a 'fenian bastard' or an 'orange prick' before embarking on some knife crime. If you see any of these people, it is best to let them go about their business and view from afar. They are a novelty to observe but shouldn't be approached.

scott.parker
31-05-04, 06:45 PM
oh my god,there is some very worrying sites out there,though on that first one did you look at the pic on the faceparty profile??? :o
shes fit :lol: i would woulndt you.. :D

http://www.faceparty.com/member_profile.asp?member_id=2164690&member_name=anthillmob

scott

srs1
31-05-04, 07:03 PM
she looks nice, but if you read her script. i think she would start a fight with herself in the mirror.

scott.parker
31-05-04, 07:06 PM
to true,lol
but i think it's a fake profile just taking the piss out of chav's..yamers.lol

scott

sh0rty
31-05-04, 07:13 PM
From Now On...

If yas wanna have sum fun den looks me up, dont do bitchy ppl or girlz who slag me off. ure all just jelous if you slate me coz i is fit n u no it. boyz i wanna get ta no ya if u no wot i mean *wink*

just about with that typing :lol:

Mel
31-05-04, 07:49 PM
This upsurge of popular distaste towards one group may be evidence for a cultural shift back towards a class-ridden British society—at least the fear that it might be so is causing some alarm in liberal circles.

lol, its funny apart from this. i disagree with this bit. Britain has ALWAYS been class ridden, let alone "shifting back". we've always been a stereotypical society, who refuse to look beyond class most of the time.

lol @ shorty, thas what a LOT of people round my area talk like. "i iz fit n u no it" is unbelievably common. even one of my mates has been known to say it :lol:

Again, i say poor me :lol:

-Bruce-
31-05-04, 09:41 PM
Here's one for me and broos3 :lol:

On your visit to Glasgow it is probable that you will be confronted by some sort of Rangers/Celtic rivalry, be it the blood and violence of a match day or the simple sectarian chanting of one ned to another. No matter what form it takes, it is essential to have at least a little knowledge of this rivalry.

"moan then ya pricks"

There is a major sectarian factor involved with this rivalry. Rangers are the Protestant team and Celtic are the Catholic team (yes, I know there are technicalities surrounding this but do you think the people using it as an excuse to batter each other have and knowledge of these technicalities? No, so shut it). This has deep historical roots, which I can't be bothered explaining right now but basically what it means is that the fans of both clubs have a good reason to beat the crap out of each other at every opportunity.

If you ever have the misfortune of being in Glasgow on a match day, it is advisable to stay indoors for that whole day since it is likely outside you'll find some extremely disgruntled fans of the losing team looking for a fight or some extremely drunk and happy fans of the winning team...looking for a fight.

How can you spot these people? Well it isn't too hard. All celtic fans will be carrying Irish flags and wearing green, and all Ranger fans will be carrying Union flags or Red Hand of Ulster flags and wearing blue. Both sets of fans will generally be carrying buckfast and some may be carrying knives or screw-drivers or hammers. If you see any large groups of these people it is advisable to steer clear of them.

On non match days the only real perpetrators of sectarian violence are the neds who will swan around the city centre wearing either a Rangers top or a Celtic top looking for another ned with the opposing team's top on, and call him either a 'fenian ba***d' or an 'orange prick' before embarking on some knife crime. If you see any of these people, it is best to let them go about their business and view from afar. They are a novelty to observe but shouldn't be approached.

lol stu so true!!

bruce