PDA

View Full Version : Oil light came on then went off?

Gazza14SR
30-05-04, 11:50 PM
Just been driving about when i noticed the oil light on my digi dash starting to flash. I pulled over and turned the engine off.

Started it back up after about 5 minutes and the light did not flash. Just drove home (about 20 miles from where i was) and the light hasnt flashed again at all.

Theres no blue smoke coming out.

I topped the oil up earlier to just under Max on the dipstick. It had just over a litre. Could i have put to much in?

There appears to be no unordinary sound (knockin etc) coming from the engine bay.

I had been giving it some just before the light came on but drove steadily home.

Any comments on what may of caused this would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks
Gaz

Aragorn
31-05-04, 07:59 PM
possibly caused by an oil surge if uve hammered it round a corner

this causes the oil to flow to one end of the sump and if the pickup gets uncovered it will suck air in causing the drop in pressure

the sensor will normally flash once or twice in that circumstance then return to normal as soon as your driving flat again

it also might simply be a loose wire

m.d.
31-05-04, 09:14 PM
yeah may just have been cos the oil was low so like said when you brake heavily or go round corners it will flash

rikih
02-06-04, 11:28 AM
my sr had a oil leek and when the oil gets low throwing it about made the oil light come on check your gaskets as the one that went on mine was the sump.

Gazza14SR
02-06-04, 12:50 PM
I had filled up with oil acouple of hours previous to this happening.

Could it of been a case where i put too much in and caused the light to come on as it wouldnt be circulating properly?

Gaz

a2lt16v
03-06-04, 10:14 AM
may be it was the brake warning light mine used to come on at random intervals. i never new what it was becasue when you look down to see what was red it had gone. but one day i caught it flashing obviously didn't know i was looking