Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ade
27-05-04, 11:10 PM
LOL!

for those that were around a couple of years ago, You'll remember -

ADES GARAGE! :lol:

Well IT' STARTED AGAIN!
:o :D 8) :o

Will be done over a period of months - rather than a period of weeks - intend on making a one off show car for display/shows only - and occasionally have a bit of fun with 8)

Project outline - to make a totally customised Nova - with one off home made body kit inc bumpers, side skirts, bonnet and modified front end inc lights from Punto Mk2. Full custom interior inc dash. May do a boot build...dunno though :?: Considering a GTE engine (which I have) or may leave the 1.4 with weber 32/34 on as is (less of a faff)

Sunday May 23rd 2004
rolled the nova out of the garage (literally - no fbattery or fuel!) and removed front end (wings, lights, grill and radiator, bumper etc).

Had a fight with the wings coz when I did the last rebuild 2 yrs ago I vowed I'd never do it again and used so much mastic the screws were merely superficial extras! Ruddy good stuff proper mastic is! However wings are showing sign of rust so need replacing.

Had a fight with the radiator - which was rusted to feck and was leaking slightly - have a new one though. Manahed to get it out and drain most of the coolant

Stopped for a bit and went and bought a strimmer and lawn mower and cut the grass for the 1st time since we moved in. Was about a foot long and wife was nagging I had too much "spare time" if I was playing with the car again! Kept her happy by mapping out the design for the back garden (doing it in tandem with the rebuild)

Had a fight with the front end and HAMMERED THE FECK out the light surrounds. Rebuild most of this in fibreglass at last rebuild so had to cut most of it away - then had to to cut and hammer and bend and hammer and hammer more to make the basic shape for thr rather wide and deep lights to fit into the smaller nova light housings.

Managed to get both lights to fit into their new hammered holes (will be reinforcing these and smoothing them over later). Discovered that on the process that for some reason the drivers side front end is 1" lower than the passengers side front end - which I think was to do with a smash I had several years ago :? Hammered it about a bit and finally got them to sit fluch (with the aid of alot of masking tape!) :D Both sit 20" from the floor and 6/5" at the corners out fron the nova slam panel (the bit the bonnet locks onto).

Realigned the old wings to assess fittability of the new lights. The wings have a curled in edge that needed flattening and the bottom corner of each where the indicators sit needed cutting straight about 10mm but they fitted really well and on the wholw followed the contour well. Will need modifying and smoothing though as the Punto lights are narrower in height than the Nova ones. Will also need a new Grill as lights closer together.

So did quite a bit on the 1st day...

Language -
moderate - slightly fragrant when trying to remove radiator

BodyDamage -
smashed my hand - although not on the nova - bashed it against the window sill (stone) when cutting the edge with a spade - thought Id broken my hand - was almost sick with the pain! :cry:

Cups of Tea -
4 and a freshly brewed coffee

I also decided to smash up the model and start it again coz I wasnae happy with it - however the new one (modified off ann old cast of the previous one) is much better and looks more accurate around the wondows especially - wasnt happy with the other one...

PICS TO FOLLOW of rebuild - as soon as I can find my camera :? :wink:

Further updates hopefully this Saturday...

:D

badnova
27-05-04, 11:24 PM
sounds good
hope to see pics soon

Mel
27-05-04, 11:42 PM
Welcome back Ade after the long silence, lol.

well done on starting the nova, sounds like you're makin a good start. ouch to that hand injury tho :?

i really gotta order my own nova model, but i'm skint :(

anyway, good luck with the project, cant wait to see those pics :)

ade
27-05-04, 11:50 PM
yer - been a bit quiet recently - must be getting old (cough cp cough)

lol

:lol:

broody
28-05-04, 12:01 AM
nice ot hear from you again ade, i remember reading your 'Ades garage' when i worked as an office junior, was great fun reading them in my dinner hour.

good luck with it all and dont annoy your work like your did last time with having to take an extra week, then another, then another.

Will your mum be giving you a hand with anything like last time, any more re-trimming?

And keeps us up to date with the drive-bys like people were doing last time!

Good luck :wink:

Neil

Col_Mk1
28-05-04, 12:29 AM
sounds wel smart

Jim
28-05-04, 08:32 AM
LOL, It's back! :lol:

Sounds good Ade. Have you taken time off work again, or are you doing this lot at the weekends?

Good luck with it all

Jim

Dpnova
28-05-04, 08:37 AM
Sounds cool :)

cooper_nova
28-05-04, 08:45 AM
well done ade sounds like a very ambitious project good luck mate and hope u suceed in ur task.

kep us updated wiv pics :lol:

Jules
28-05-04, 09:56 AM
Excellent - I look forward to reading this in the upcoming weeks / months / years (Delete as applicable!!!)
:wink:

Alex
28-05-04, 12:30 PM
Has it really been 2 years since the original Ade's garage :o

The first was a very good read so I can't wait :D

Riggy
28-05-04, 05:23 PM
sounds good mate cant wait to see the pics

ade
28-05-04, 07:57 PM
yeah its been 2 years since the last project - almost to the day.

I'll be doing it mostly after work, at weekends and may take a week off work - but I'm in no hurry to complete it this time - no deadlines as such, except perhaps Pv 2005! 8) We'll see...

Wont be doing it at my mums coz shes sold the house and moved to ruddy Egypt! :o Think I may have p1ssed her off by almost destroying her sewing machine with my seats and garage with red paint! lol The new owners were fascinated by the red/pink garage interior :lol:

I've got my own garage now - not a double one but big enough for what I need it for - bigger than a single anyway - all very tidy and neat!

I plan to develop a website of my antics as I go - kind of said I;d do this last time but never did - however this time I WILL do it (he says...)

I'll post some pics of what the overall prooject will look like as we go...for a start check out the Nova Punto forum a page or so ago - not the pic but the drawing I posted. Thats a 1st draft - will change a little but not much

Ade
8)

CP
29-05-04, 11:15 PM

last summer just wasnt the same without the soap that is "Ades garage"

scott.parker
30-05-04, 01:11 AM
Nice one Ade carnt wait to see this come along..
should be a dam nice car,

scott

krobinson
31-05-04, 08:00 PM
Welcome back ade!!

I bet i finish my Nova, before u finish my Nova Model :P

Keith

ade
06-07-04, 07:21 PM
roflmao!

Well here's some pics - not done owt to the car since the 1st post back in May however I have built most of the hard landscaping for the garden (almost killed myself in the process too!).

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/punto6.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/punto2.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/punto4.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/punto7.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/punto1.jpg

They fit really well - just need to build supports for underneath, find some way of locking them in place and then I can start to carve the bumpers, grill and look at how much top mod the wings n bonnet. The wings (side profile wise) wont need that much modding - just a little on the tops to follow the contours. the bonnets gonna need an extension and some possible reinforcing - time to get a welder I think - failing that some sikaflex and LOTS of rivets! :lol:

MODELS WISE...I've given myself a deadline for the 1st models - TRAX!

So Mike and a couple of others - I'll see you then - have cash ready please! The website will also be redesigned and relaunched by then. Having probs with it - ruddy back up disc fecked up and I lost 1/2 of it :evil:

Ade
:arrow:

krobinson
06-07-04, 07:45 PM
Looking good ade! Keep us updated on the progress :D

If you get the first few models out of the way, i'll be happy enough to have mine for early next year, as long as i'm at the show's with a lil replica in the parcel shelf! Let me know when your ready for mine and i'll send you updated pics etc!

Keith

Dpnova
06-07-04, 11:00 PM
Looks really good 8)

novahead
06-07-04, 11:21 PM
nice one m8 keep it up

Al Wilson
06-07-04, 11:22 PM
Looks good, lights look spot on. Roll on finishing it. :D

cooper_nova
07-07-04, 08:40 AM
nice one ade! its starting to take shape, those lights look quite good :o

wisewood
08-07-04, 04:06 PM
made sticky by request.
Ades Garage was fantastic, and to be hoenst i cant believe you're gonna destroy all that hard work that took you about a month longer than you expected and start again on an even bigger project. Good luck with it mate.

nam
08-07-04, 04:10 PM
that looks the dogs mate love it. i always thought that them lights would be really small on a nova because they do on the puntos but they look great!

keep us all updated!!!!!

Nam

wisewood
08-07-04, 04:24 PM
keep us all updated!!!!!

lmfao - thats the whole point of this thread.

burgo
08-07-04, 07:54 PM
i also have fiat items but they aint punto :twisted: look forward to seein how u blend em in

ade
13-07-04, 07:22 PM
i also have fiat items but they aint punto look forward to seein how u blend em in

Erm...good question.

I'm currently working on that as we speak (technical drawings and general scribbles etc). Below is the 1st draft of what the overall finished car will look like (these have been posted before so apologies those who have seen them).

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/projectside.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/projectfront.jpg
http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/projectback.jpg
Ive made some changes alrewady (theres no V grill and the wheels will be bigger). The custom front bumper and grill will be moulded together and fit around the lights. The wings need modding slightly. I need to make sure I can get the lights out which will probably mean removing the bumper! I'll need to mod the wings a little and am hoping I dont need to remove them to get the lights out if ever I need to!

The biggest issue is supporting them from underneath. The lights are flat bottommed unlike the novas which sit on a peg style clip. I need to build a shelf thats the correct height and anchor them in position top and bottom. This is going to be tricky because for some reason the front on my car (across the slam panel) is 2cm higher at one side than the other! I think this has something to do with an old crash I had which took out the left passenger wing and light housing. I've knocked the housing about a bit and its back in place but I need to make sure when the cars on levle ground the lights are the same height.

Does anyone know what the legal height for lights are? I'm using the Novas existing position as a bench mark so there shouldnt be any probs.

Colour wise I've decided to go for either BMW Mini Cooper Metalic Gun Metal grey or Silver with Light grey/black interior. Dash wise I'm aiming for something in the region of the Nissan 350Z look but with a difference - satin/brushed metalic effect finish and subtle detailing.

Thanks to Andy for stickying this - I'll try and keep it updated as often as I can although for those who were subjected to the last Ades Garage it wont be updated daily as Im not cramming it into 6 weeks like before however I intend to submit tons of how to guides. Just keep an eye on it.

This post is also intended for people who have rebuild/redesigned their Novas to share any hints/tips with me and the rest of us.

Thinks like fitting brakes, redesigning and building from scratch bumpers, dash boards, relocating your dash clocks etc!

8)

nam
13-07-04, 07:26 PM
fook me that looks nice. i cant wait to this baby :P

J4MES
13-07-04, 07:27 PM
wow that should be amazing, the plans look like they will really bring the nova up to date, keep it up and good luck finishing!!!

Stanton
13-07-04, 08:01 PM
baby monaro ne one?

J4MES
16-07-04, 10:40 PM
just seen that!! good to be influenced by vaux (or holden) than saxo c**p :lol: :lol:

Mike.
17-07-04, 10:11 AM
lookin good ade
can't wait to se the finished product :D

geordie_racer
18-07-04, 10:04 PM
ade those drawings look fantastic, what rear lights you planning on using or you keepin it secret?

chris

badnova
18-07-04, 10:06 PM
most porb a secret

Col_Mk1
19-07-04, 10:26 PM
luks good ur a good drawer by way 8)

retrosi
20-07-04, 06:59 PM
i want to see pic of the garden!!

wisewood
20-07-04, 07:01 PM
So do i actually. :lol: i was thinking about it the other day while i was gardening.

ade
30-07-04, 08:53 PM
PMSL! :D

Maybe I should start a thread called Ades garden too!

Below for those more "retired" amongst us is my garden - Wor in Progress mind!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rhs003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/garden2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/garden1.jpg

We're getting nice garden furniture delivered Monday and am going shopping for a gas lamp heater thing and some anti Midge repellant things - the scourge of the west coast of Scotland

:evil:

OH - and an update on the Model. Have just taken it out of the final moulds and theyre fantastic! Will be making upo Mikes this weekend!

Pics to follow soon!

8)

Jim
30-07-04, 09:35 PM
Thats a nice sized plot you've got there Ade. Plenty of room for the kids to run about ;)

Jim

coxie
29-09-04, 02:17 PM
that car is gonna look absolutly amazin .. love the pics with the handlamps gettin into place .. looks really nice mate

nuno_gt
01-10-04, 01:21 AM
Any news, m8?

Nick
12-10-04, 07:30 PM
hmm if i get bored at work and no-one is looking, i will draw sum proper Drawings of ure nova on my drawing board,i'l even ink it for you on fancy paper n send em to u.

i'm working as an architectural technician u see, so they'l be proper proper bo !

infact, anyone want some ? lol ?20 a A3 sheet lol.

nuno_gt
12-10-04, 10:24 PM
hmm if i get bored at work and no-one is looking, i will draw sum proper Drawings of ure nova on my drawing board,i'l even ink it for you on fancy paper n send em to u.

i'm working as an architectural technician u see, so they'l be proper proper bo !

infact, anyone want some ? lol ?20 a A3 sheet lol.

I'd like to see some Novas "drawed". May be i'll get one with mine in it. Go for it. :wink:

Nick
13-10-04, 09:46 PM
oki doki mate, i'm out surveyng tommorow but i'l crack on with ti as soon as i have a day on my own in the office, i don't think they'l appreciate me doing it instead of proper work.

anyone could doit really, using a paralell motion drawing board, you can't not draw Straight and Square ! just finding stencils that are the right shape for the curves wil be hard. but it's all down too practice i suppose.

i'l start off by drawing mine.

ade
15-10-04, 12:41 AM
nice one!

The sketches I did at the start of this post were taken from line images extracted using photoshop from digital pics.

Then just fannied about with some layout paper.

Was gonna draw them up all nice n neat but cant be bothered. the final look is sealed in the depths of my mind :o 8) :o - a scary place even for me!

I'd certainly appreciate a "nice" pic though

Ade
:wink:

namkeaps
17-10-04, 09:38 PM
nice one dude

those lights look awesome

almost look as good as bora headlights

looking forwad to reading more and more

Nick
19-10-04, 09:49 PM
Ok mate

I think i'l have problems doing it at work, but i'm gonna try buy or get hold of a drawing board so i can do it at home.

They'd be pretty decent , cos i got pens that are as small as 0.1mm So they'd be super detialed. I'l just kinda copy the sketches you did and maybe imrpovise a tiny bit of detail here and there cos drawings allways look "odd" if they are a bit bland !

Marc
12-11-04, 09:28 AM
hows the project coming havnt heard much about it in a while :?:

Jos
16-01-05, 09:42 PM
nice! keep up the good work!

jynxy
23-01-05, 09:40 PM
any more updates its been about 3 months now :/

MattyNovaBoy
25-01-05, 09:07 AM
When we havin more pics of the progress?

ade
06-02-05, 10:08 PM
erm... sorry for not updating the project guys n dolls. Been side tracked with other projects.

However the projects back on track.

8)

The weather by me has been apauling of late so havent done much but been chatting to a few people from here (Broos and Aragorn) who all live locally and have a plan.

I cant really do anything on the project cosmetic wise until I get my bonnet sorted. I need to "attach" the front end of a MK2 Fiat Punto bonnet onto my nova bonnet so I can line up the Punto lights I'm fitting. So I'm on the look out for an old MK2 Punto bonnet. Been offered one but its mint and dont really wanna hack up a mint one.

Once the bonnets tacked in place I can then sort the lights out. Need kev and Broos and their welder to assist there. Also need a new lower front valance as mine has 2 big gaping holes where the back of my old spot lights used to sit. :?

I've just purchased a scorpion stainless steel GTE full exhaust system and GTE manifold and thanks to Aragorn have a piper cross air filter and have also just received a GTE fuel pump from Al Wilson off here, so all I need is a GTE/GSi fuel tank. Thats proving a tad difficult to get hold of (see wanted forum). I may get a new one - only ?40 from sel imperial.
I've got a new steering rack to go in coz mine wobbles badly and Astra 16v front brakes to stick on.

So - at the moment I'm parts gathering and drawing up a plan of action. I'm looking at completely stripping out the Nova in Feb/March with a view of starting the major work March/April. I'll probably start the small cosmetic stuff shortly (like the custom rear lights). I'll not be fitting the engine until the novas been fully resprayed inside and out.
Theres tons I can do body wise once the bonnets tacked up, like make the lights fit the wings (once the bonnets in place) as well as the front bumpers and side skirts and rear bumper.

I need to make some Nova models - which I'm also currently redoing to get some cash...

Here's a list of what I need before I can make a proper start -
- Front strut tops for suspension
- GTE fuel tank
- Front lower valance (the bit thats behind the bumper)
- Punto bonnet
- poly bushes all round (mine are shagged)

I have a set of Punto lights but the brackets are snapped on them so I'm after another set...

And the initial plan is as follows -

- Strip car out completely including engine and all anciliaries
- Make bonnet extension
- Fit lower valance
- Do lights and front wings
- Design rear lights
- Design front bumper and grill (once lights fitted)
- Design side skirts and then rear bumper
- Clean up body work and prep any rust spots (only a couple)

I'm hoping to be in a position where I can show a work in Progress at Trax 2005 - however this isnt guaranteed as yet. I'd like to have the engine in and the body sprayed up by then. Would also like to have the bumpers designed...

We'll see...

Ade

ade
23-02-05, 08:38 PM
heres a wee update.

Managed to get hold (sort of) of a Punto mk2 bonnet for free. A mate of mine has a friend who does body work and hes getting a replacement punto bonnet for his wifes car - said I can have the old one. Has some stone chips on the top - but I only need the front section so thats cool. Cant get it until hes swapped it over though - should be in a couple of weeks.

Took delivery of a GTE fuel tank today from martin kelson off here - cheers matey 8)

have also been pricing up resin and fibreglass to build my custom bumpers, side skirts, grill and other bits. Need enough to make the mould (which is made from fibreglass) and 2 sets of kit - one as a spare just incase...all in including delivery should be about ?350 for materials.

Also purchased a couple of books on fibreglassing - just so I get it right 1st time - cant afford to shell out tons of cash of gel coat, woven cloth and resin only to shag it up!

Ade

ade
29-03-05, 09:19 PM
Took delivery of my scorpion stainless steel exhaust and manifold the other week. V Nice. Also bought GSi drive shafts and Alternator and a set of Corsa GSi indicator stalks.

Decided to go for the digital dash option as well. then build the new dash around it. Have some good ideas (if I do say so myself) on how it will look.

the wife is (hoipefully) buying me a new front lower panel for the car too so i can clean up the front end and give something for my new wings to bolt on to - the current one is well shagged (see pics on page 1)

Just putting the finishing touches to the drawings of the car (profiles) and will hopefully post these in a week or so.

On a final note the new model's coming on fine too. Have made GSi front bumper and grill and am starting work on rear bumper this weekend. had to do some major remoddeling of the bonnet (was too steep) - I'll try and post some new pics this weekend.

I've pretty much got all I need for the project but I cant do anything till I get the bonnet - need to start pushing my mate to get me the one he promissed...

Ade

coxie
06-04-05, 03:21 PM
progress look smart mate . shud be a gorgeous car when done ..

u have some great ideas and hope it all comes together for you 8)

ade
07-04-05, 05:56 PM
more parts delivered today...

Got meself a digi dash and transducer for less than ?30 off ebay - all wiring included along with a nova wiring diagram! :D not really looked at it though...

Also got a set of Corsa indicator stalks with the little rubber boots and some landrover rear fog lamps to build into the bumper conversion (theyre about 60mm diameter but not all of it will be on show - theyre gonna be recessed)

Won some gte drive shafts and a gte alternator off ebay for a great price - still waiting on delivery of them bits...

Still waiting on me mate getting me a Punto bonnet. Its me birthday tomorrow and the wifes ordered a front lower section for the front of the car (I know this because they left a message on the answering machine).

The plan is - once I get the bonnet - to start to build...could get on with other things I suppose - like the rear lights - but want to start on the front and work back.

Also need to get the engine out so I can clean up the engine bay.

heads buzzing with things I wanna do.

Riggy
07-04-05, 06:02 PM
nice one ade looks like youve been busy hope all goes wel for you

coxie
08-04-05, 10:12 AM
:o some serious buyin goin on there mate 8) gud luck with all the work .. lookin forward to seing it finished

chapers
08-04-05, 08:20 PM
sounds awsome - is there going to be any WIP pics posted up soon i really want to know how its looking!!!! :)

chaps

ade
10-04-05, 04:54 PM
just finished the scale drawings and am still gathering parts. Plan to make a start on some of the smaller bits (rear lights etc) soon.

But today me n the wife just spent ?6k on a jaccuzzi spa for the garden so funds are tighter than that the preverbial knats anus!

8)

benji
12-04-05, 10:14 PM
bloody hell mate, i never come in stlying so i didn't know you were pulling it to bits again. i remember last time you did the ade garage. keep up the good work. :)

ade
14-04-05, 06:51 PM
right - for those styling monsters out there, heres the final drafts of the car. Based heavily on the OPC Corsa C with some Monaro adjusted side skirts and modded bonnet. plan to start it in may...providing my m8 can get that ruddy Punto Bonnet!

:?

Pic Quality isnt great - they were snapped from the drawing board at an angle - but it gives you a fair idea...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/draftside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/draftfront1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/draftback1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/draftfrontback.jpg

Current colour is BMW Dakar Yellow with anthracite and chrome highlighths - Wheels in Anthracite (probably TSW Voodoo's). Interior - still drawing that up but it will be loosely based around the MG ZR's new cockpit (rounded chrome air vents) - yellow and black trim etc etc etc...

Considering making it a 2 seater with the rear seats removed but a box section build for speakers, amp and then have a cavernous boot area (never have passengers in the rear of me Nova - theyre a pain in the anus)

Ade

benji
14-04-05, 07:35 PM
it will look ace when it's done, old nova with some modern inspiration.

it might be worth a look at this, not all that different from what you are aiming for

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=192824

ade
15-04-05, 06:32 PM
yeah - thats nice - my front end will be a little more subtle (not keen on bad boy bonnets) but the overall finish is very good

Ade

coxie
18-04-05, 10:45 AM
very impressive designs ade .. look of it looks really gud n well thought out

all those mods shud fit perfectly with the car .. cant wait to see this materialise mate 8)

Marc
18-04-05, 11:51 PM
Looks nice, very original ade will look the dogs nuts when its done. personnally get another exhaust out the other side of the back bumper would look god irc.

boredbloke
20-04-05, 10:54 PM
Needs to have much fatter tyres in the pics make it look mcuh smarter!! :wink:

Plans look awesome Ade As long as you can carry them out u'll have a pukka lookin nova when ur done.

ade
23-04-05, 10:13 AM
the only bit I really need now is the punto mk2 bonnet. Me mate let me down on that on e- he cant get the one he promised me anymore.

:x

So I'll need to ring about a few breakers yards. The ones I've called so far all want just under ?100 for 2nd hand one!

sod that! Can buy brand new from sel for ?80 inc delivery!

ade
23-05-05, 11:39 PM
Here's the link to the start of my custom rear lights.

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=480016#480016

I'll add more here when I do more...

Given up on the Punto bonnet - decided instead to fashion my own so nipped down to B&Q and bought some sheet steel...

However before I can do that I need to mount the lights so I can line it up perfectly, and before I can do that I need to replace the lower front valance with the new one I got for my birthday - and before I can do that I need to get Aragorn and Broos (Kev abd Bruce) round so I can get my engine out and borrow their welding experience!

And thats gonna have to wait until July because every weekend in June I'm busy!

:roll:

oh well...

Ade

flair
12-07-05, 11:45 PM
Riggy your back smoked lights are nearly as hot as my girlfreind.. i have some but yours look diffrent, where did you get them from sir?

ade
16-07-05, 01:32 AM
Friday 15th July 2005

Today I decided Id have a shot at taking my 1400 engine out me car ready for the engine bay work. Cant do anything else really until I can replace the front Valance so I may as well start of the engine bay area.

No engine's going back in it and I have NEVER taken an engine out before. I also dont have an engine crane. :D

So 1st things 1st - spoke to -Bruce- of NL on MSN. Hes a fountain of all Knowledge. Helped me sort the wheat from the shite as far as the Haynes Manual is concerned.

Cheers for the help matey!

Have to say though Haynes isnt that bad - even if they do tend to under emphasise the point about "prising things apart" when in actual fact you need to kick the feck out of it to get it to budge an mm!

Taking the engine out - but first the drive shafts
A month or so back I removed the radiator so the coolant was already out the engine. I started by removing the bonnet - makes access easier plus my boneet support is busted. :roll:

As for the engine removal, to be honest - I never got this far. :lol: It took me all day to get the feckin drive shafts out! In addition Haynes says you need to disconnect the transmission from the engine - then you can just lift it out the top. As such it doesnt tell you about all the additional cables you need to disconnect if youre gonna drop it out the bottom and lift the car over it (the unconventional way).

Started in Haynes - chapter 7 - drive shafts - starts off my saying remove wheels, jack up car and remove split pin.

Easy enough. Then it says "using a suitable socket, remove the retaining nut and thrust washer".

To start with a "suitable socket" is a 30mm heavy duty socket and most people I know dont own such an item. So living in a small village I ask a couple of local mechanics - one works in imperial (removates old spirts cars) - the other is a panel beater!

"AHA - but have you tried the bus depot next door!" Popped in there and there was a bloke who was the spitting image of Blakey in overalls and wellie boots!

Blakey kindly leant me the necessary socket - however with an item this bit you cant use a normal socket set - luckily I had an extendable tyre lever to help.

It then says "You may need to have a friend press hard on the brake pedal or fashion a tool to stop the hub rotating". Now this is Haynes talk for "feck me this thing AINT GONNA MOVE!"

I didnt have time to make a tool to lock on the wheel nuts and then wedge on an axle stand like it said seeing as how I dont have a length of steel tubing and the axle stands are holding me car up!

So after shattering a heavy duty screwdriver (using wheel nuts and a trolley jack) I find the next best think - a big mutha feckin iron chisel!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelnut2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelnut1.jpg

After much grunting, shedding of skin from the knuckles and lifting the suspension into the car it finally comes free!

This called for a hob nob and a cuppa Tea.

The next task is to remove the lower ball joint from the hub. Again Haynes says "once the retaining screw is removed you can easily prise the joint from the hub"

PISH! (this is Scottish for BOLLOX!)

Once the nut is undone - you then gently tap it out. Now at this point you think you can just prise it apart - not! On the 1st go I discovered that hitting the wishbone with a hammer gets it so far (gently of course). But then it stops due to the angle its at.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheeldrivenut.jpg

The 1st side did eventually come lose after some pursuave hammering (and a sharp impact on the knuckles from the hub as it dropped down)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelball1.jpg

The other side though I found was easier to remove after unbolting rthe hub from the actual suspension post. This allowed the hub to move freely and as such I managed to life the huib (and drive shaft) clear of the ball joint no problems...

So with both ball joints free and both drive shafts disconnected from their respective hubs, I now had to remove the drive shafts from the transmission housing.

:evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

The drivers side one (the long one) was actually quire easy - I didnt have a "special tool with a chamfer" as Haynes sugggsted and after spending ?10 of a crow bar this was no use either (too fat!)

So instead I resulted in using (as suggested by haynes) a long strong screw driver - stuck it in the crack and pushed/pulled VERY HARD

The driver side came away pretty easily after some HE MAN style grunting and language that made the neighbours lock their kids in doors for a while!

(drivers side)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelshaft2.jpg

The passenger side though was a lot harder - however after muchj profanity some skinned hands and several bangings of head on shrp metal corners of rusty bodywork It just slid out!

(drivers side has knobbly edges).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelshaft1.jpg

Watch out for the transmission fluid that liberally flows for a while once the shafts pop out from their retaining circlips (so haynes says).

Once drive shafts were out I then reconnected the ball joints. You need to watch because there's a notch in each and this needs to be lined up with the thread. I found removing the hub from the suspension on BOTH side this time was much easier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0015.jpg

By this time it was about 5pm and I'd been at it for 3 1/2 hours! The wife would be home soon and the drive was a MESS!

I wasnt going to get the engine out so I tasked myself with removing all the hosing and wiring and cables that were fastened to the engine. So following Haynes (and improvising for the bits that werent in) I started on the engine

I started by removing the vacuum hoses, water hoses and fuel hoses, catching any water etc as it fell.

Then came the HT leads, dizzy cap and coil wiring.

Then I traced all the earth leads and other leads coming from the bulkhead and removed each one - these were connected to things like starter motor, oil sensor, alternator, other sensors as well as the speedo and throttle cables.

I disconnected the clutch cable from the transmission

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0047.jpg

I then went under the car and disconnected the gear shift linkage (thats a bugger to reach)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelgear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelgear1.jpg

as well as the exhaust retaining nuts from the exhaust down pipe to centre section.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/wheelexhaust.jpg

Once all the anciliaries were removed, I was ready for the engine - however the wife pulled in the drive so had to stop and go shopping!

:oops: :x :lol:

Damage
Broken screwdriver
skinned knuckles
black finger nails (oil not blood blisters)
oil in hair
and rust bits in eyes (v sore especially if you try and remove with poily fingers!)

Cups of Tea
2 cups in total, a can of diet coke and 5 hob nobs.

To be honest it was hard work but fun
8)

Matt2107
16-07-05, 10:48 AM
LOL ade..... mate.... this was just fantastic.

I was reading through your post in stitches.
Good on you for getting your hands dirty and diving in.

On sunday I'm taking an automatic transmission out of a fiesta with NO haynes manual and I've never done a gear box before.

ade
16-07-05, 10:57 AM
lol - chers man - good luck with Sunday!

post and let us know how you got on!

ANDYRACER
16-07-05, 02:16 PM
Looks good Ade. I find the haynes manuals don't tell u every thing u need to know. They are always missing wires and screws out of the guides. Good luck getting the engine out mate espically if u try it on ur own.

Marc
16-07-05, 02:20 PM
good to see things are going ahead smoothly good luck with it :D

mikey14sr
16-07-05, 02:41 PM
nice informative pictures Ade, well done for getting that far in 3anhalf hours!

benji
16-07-05, 03:01 PM
lol, looks you had the usuall fun working on a rusty old nova. all the nuts and bolts are solid and don't want to move

ade
17-07-05, 11:26 AM
Sunday 17th July 2005.

Operation get the engine oot!

Weathers very overcast - cant even see the hills in the diatance - it was raining earlier - that fine misty spray stuff but it seems to have stopped so I'm gonna roll the Nova oot the garage and drop the engine out.

Not too sure how I'm gonna lift her over the engine though - what with not having an engine crane etc however sure if i strip the innards and weight the back then get a mate from up the road (or the wife lol) to help heave it over it should be easy enough...

Shifting the engines not a problem - have a small trolley for that...

I'll keep yu posted how I get on.

Ade

Riggy
17-07-05, 11:12 PM
ade it is suprisingley easy to get it out fella

get bottom of engine on a trolly jack and undo all the mounts and lower down untill you can get it off the jack

then me and me mate just pick the front of the car up and walk it backwards like a wheelbarrow lol

easy with 2 of you

good luck :lol:

ade
18-07-05, 12:29 AM
So started about 12.30pm - finished by about 5pm...

Sounds a long time but most of that was trying to work out how to get it out without engine crane - on my own, and also getting other bits off that the Hyanes never tells you about...

The plan was to drop engine on to the wheeled trolley I'd made then lift car over engine. I needed to be able to support the engine and lower the car enough not to damage anything. The lifting of the car could wait till later.

Before I could do anything though I rechecked that all ancilliaries were removed (I undid all the wires on Friday - see page 5 for drive shafts). Whilst doing this I happened to check the area Id be dropping the engine down on to and noticed that the tie bars and Anti roll bar (ARB) were in the way - especially on the passenger side where gearbox was.

These had to come off... The anti roll bar was easy enough - 4 mounting points - 10 mins...however the feckin tie bars were another story!

The tie bar is attached to the Nova in 2 places - at the lower part of the front wheel hub with 2x19mm bolts and at the front of the car on the lower valance by 3 nuts on a mounting plate all 15mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0004.jpg

I undid the hub based ones 1st - these came free reasonably easily.

The valance end ones though were a little more awkward. There's a nut at the top and underneath and you need to have a wrench on both or else they just turn each other. Because the thread on the lower nut was too long for the socket I was stuck - however I then discovered in my socket set a handy 10mm spoark plug socket - which was actually 15mm diameter! This was a deep socket and therefore worked fine!

Managed to crack them off no probs.

With both tie bars out the way I could now work on getting the engine out.

There are 3 mounts on the engine - one of the left

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/leftmount.jpg

One on the right

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rightmount.jpg

And one underneath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/undersidemount.jpg

The right and underside ones secure the gearbox. The left one holds the engine in place.

Before I undid these I needed to support the engine. I dont have an engine crane. Supporting the engine stops any unnecessary stresses on the mountings and makes removing the bolts easier. It also allows me to lower the engine down smoothly.

With an engine crane this would be easy so I had to improvise. With the 2 wings off the car and the front removed, I had good working access so I used to old fence posts on the sides and a fence post across to act as a support.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/posts1.jpg

I then tied 4 bits of rope at intervals around the engine - making sure one went through the rear engine mount.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/posts2.jpg

As an extra precaution I also supported the underside...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/undersupport.jpg

I then undid the lower mounting point - this was a real bugger and involved much cursing - felt like I broke my arm at one point!

It finally came loose. I removed the bolt and thread and very gently lowered the underside jack. With much creaking the engine rested on the ropes.

Cool! 1 dfown 2 to go...

The plan was to lower the car as low as I could get it and then undo the remaining bolts on the mounts - then remove the side fence posts dropping the engine a couple of inches onto the trolley.

I reset the 2 trolley jacks I had (ebay ?14.99 each!) at the side of the car and gently lowered it as low as I could go. I didnt want to hit the deck because the tie bars were still off so the front suspension/hub area was loose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lowercar2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lowercar1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/fronttrolley.jpg

In the last pic you can see the trolley I made - just a sheet of ship board with 4 castors and 2 bits of rope.

Theres only about 1" from the sump to the trolley.

I then removed the engine mounts. Now I had planed to remove the mounts completely from both engine and car but I hit a snag. The gearbopx side mount wouldnt come free from the car so I removed the mount from the gearbox instead. The engine side mount refused to come off the engine (1 bolt refused to move :evil: ) so I had to remove it from the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rightfree.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/leftfree.jpg

In the end though the engine finally came free from the engine bay and swung freely on its ropes!

I then removed the side fence posts and this allowed the engine to drop on to the trolley

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/sidesremoved.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/ondeck.jpg

HOORAY!

OOPS! A small glitch as the gearbox clutch linkage fouled on the mount on the car - soon sorted with a big crowbar!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/mountfoul.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/freemount.jpg

I then removed the big fence post, undid the ropes and cleared the sh1te away from round the car!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/enginefree.jpg

With the engine free I now had to work out how to get the car over the engine???

Now I'm 5ft7" - 11.5 stone and pretty weedy when it comes to lifting stuff so when I grabbed the front of me car and tried to lift minus engine I almost shat my stomach out me arse!

:o

A tad heavy...so how the feck am I gonna get this Nova over this engine!

The plan was to use my mutha crow bar and using the engine try and crow bar the car over it and make it land on a set of old tyres and carpet. However the crowbar was too long and the engine wasnt stable enough to do this.

So I had a cuppa Tea!

At which point my missus arrives home with one of her horsey chums!

I needed to reduce the height of the engine so I started by skinning all the high stuff off the engine to make it lower - the weber and bracket were removed - this lowered it by 3".

I then reconnected the tie bars. Just to keep everything where it should be and just incase the car slipped the front suspension would be tethered correctly and not get damaged.

I was gonna stick the tyres back on but this would just be more weight...

I removed the rear bumper to give me a bit of space just incase...this was a biatch because the side screws were all clogged with sh1te! Had to jack rear right up and get tyre off to get access!!!

I decided to start by jacking up the car as high as I could at the sides and then using my wife and friend heave the front over the engine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/jackedup.jpg

Which - after re-adjusting the rear chocks on the wheels and sticking a couple of tryres under the car is exactly what we did!

We kind of chucked it over the engine. It went though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/free3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/free4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/free2.jpg

I re-attached the carb and dragged the engine into its new resting place...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/engine.jpg

And that's it!

Had a clean up and then looked at my Nova feeling all sorry for itself

:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/empty.jpg

Cleared the garage, swept the drive and rolled it back in for the night.

Next Task
The next plan is to start on cleaning the engine bay area - removing all paint, seam sealer and clearing out all rust then resealing ready for spraying, replacing the lower valance and sorting out the upper slam panel ready for the punto lights.

Cuppas and grub
sardines with roasted veg and spicey tomato sauce.
3 cups of tea
2 ginger beers

Damage

trapped thumb between gearbox and engine mount,
rust in the eye,
being chased around garage by a feckin wasp
and breaking a glass ands then gerring a skelf in me finger! :x :cry:

A skelf is a splinter for all you southerners!

Ade

Adam
18-07-05, 01:06 AM
Great guide Ade.
Looks like you had fun :lol:

And rust in the eye is bad, hurts like fook. :lol:

sUpEr_1200
18-07-05, 11:42 AM
looks good!!

im gonna take the engine out of my beast soon give it a clean, and get the driverside turret welded cos its a bit rusty and broken!!

ive been told its not to bad tho nuffin a bit of welding wont sort out!!

ANDYRACER
18-07-05, 03:35 PM
Ade u are a god. That is the sort of guide i was looking for, cant afford a engine crane so was thinking of doing it this way, but wasnt sure if it would work. Much appreciated. :wink:

Ste L
18-07-05, 04:39 PM
could of done with this about 3/4 months ago, when i swapped engine in my mates sr without an engine crane lol

Dave
18-07-05, 06:53 PM
when i did mates we lifted the car over the engine
we used 2 trolly jacks to lift the front end up then put it on axle stands when at the top of the reach of the jack,
then we lowered the jacks off and put some blocks of wood on them and lifted it again on the jacks and wood so it went higher saved alot of back ache :wink:

Mike.
18-07-05, 10:13 PM
being chased around garage by a feckin wasp

Ade

lmao :lol:

different way of removing a engine ade

boredbloke
19-07-05, 12:15 AM
I think u should publish this when it's done dude!

seriously nice one!

dooooney
07-08-05, 10:01 PM
fucking nice i love the car i think ade u are my idle lol u should like try sell the desings to vauxhall and make the bring the nova back out casue id buy one if it looked like that :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: well done mate that will be one king of all novas after you have finished

ade
08-08-05, 10:34 PM
cheers matey!

8)

Matt2107
02-09-05, 01:48 PM
I think u should publish this when it's done dude!

seriously nice one!

I agree... i reckon it needs a site all of its own.

Excellent work again ade, like we expected anything else from you.

Marc
29-10-05, 12:21 PM
hows it coming along mate havnt heard much about it in a while?

Simes
26-11-05, 09:56 PM
awesome!! absolutely awesome! i hope my novas ready for next year so i can meet up with u all this is a quality site with quality members!

Martin
01-12-05, 09:40 PM
sounds mint m8,,, when we getin an update?

Martin,

AL@HotHatch
22-12-05, 11:55 AM
Just had a good look through, any updates? :)

That's a lovely looking house by the way....!

ade
15-01-06, 11:28 PM
ta very much

Been out tinkering again today - still gathering parts - on the hunt for fibreglass and sheet galvanised steel at the moment...

So - a while back I bought a new lower valance panel (the bit that sits behind the bumper) - anyway mines totally shagged so I decided to remove what I could without removing it all (need to get a mig welder) - and then clean up the area where the lights will go.

I drilled out some of the welds and as I went discovered that it was mainly held by rust so after a little hammering managed to get both light sections and the shelves the lights sit on totally removed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/front.jpg

This looks pretty messy! The other side aint much better. However the whole lower section will be replaced fully so I'm not worried. The upper section though is a completely different kettle of fish.

I need to build light housings to accomodate my Mk2 Punto lights. These are tricky buggers because I need to modify the inner wings as well as the outer wings and bonnet (and bumper!). I started off by drilling out the welds and cutting away the whole top slam panel section from the corner of the radiator support to the inner wing. I rthen repeated the same on the other side.

I then measured distances at the front of the inner wings and down to ensure they were level on both sides and cut away the old rust with a pair oif snips. Rather than cut all metal away, I left some fanning out on the inner wing. you never know...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/right.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/left.jpg

The plan now is to attach the new lower slam panel and then build light pods using sheet steel to house the Punto lights. They need to be level and exact otherwise the lights will be off, they wont sit right on the body and will make building a bumper and new custom grill impossible. In addition the wings wont gap properly with the body if I'm not spot on!

Thats for another day though.

So what damage did I do...
6 minor scrapes and scratches, a pretty serious cut on the orner of my thumb that bled like an artery for a few minutes (felt sick!). Sore knees from kneeling down for ages and the usual black snot from dust (despite wearing a respirator!)

Ade

krobinson
29-01-06, 12:00 PM
Good work there ade! Looking forward to seeing the finished article :)

Keep the progress coming!

Keith

ade
05-02-06, 01:20 AM
yet another little part arrived today - well not really little...A set of Cav GSi alloys - no rubbers - just the alloys - mint condition without any flakey paintwork and with centre caps too!

Only paid ?41 inc postage to Scotland!

:cool:

They'll be anthractite by the time I finish with them - may leave a silver rim...

superchimp
21-02-06, 03:53 AM
gonna look nice that mate, any updates?

jbowman
02-03-06, 07:54 PM
gonna look nice that mate, any updates?

Im biting my nails to see what updates and pics are up next :thumb:

Dave.
02-03-06, 08:14 PM
hey gd lk wif rebuild
im really inta the wooden nova model on ya site mite wanna buy it off ya :)
gd lk neways
cya dude

ade
06-05-06, 01:53 PM
Been gathering a few more parts - got a good quote for the fibreglass and resin parts for the bumpers (?320 inc delivery) and managed (at long last) to get a set of brand new Goodridge Braided hoses for a very reasonable price off ebay.

After a long depabt, I've finally decided to get my local garage to do the welding on the car (was going to do it myself but didnt trust meself and couldnt be bothered getting a mig welder). For fitting new lower valance, patching up bits n bobs as well as a couple of other bits - been quoted ?200 all in which I'm happy with.

Should get that done in the next 4 weeks or so (no rush) - then I can start fabricating trhe housing for the lights and then the real work starts...

jbowman
06-05-06, 01:58 PM
Really looking forward to how the lights will look in the end!

Mike
07-06-06, 01:06 PM
Any updates Ade? How you getting on with the lights?

Matt2107
07-06-06, 01:23 PM
Yeah come on Ade... we wanna see progress.

Christ anyone would think your married, with kids, mortgage and all that ****.

lol

Mike
07-06-06, 02:12 PM
Yeah come on Ade... we wanna see progress.

Christ anyone would think your married, with kids, mortgage and all that ****.

lol

yeah anyone would think you had better things to do with your time lol

Matt2107
07-06-06, 02:36 PM
I'd come and help you out Ade but I can't weld....... I'm a bit useless really.
Plus your miles away.

ade
07-06-06, 11:39 PM
lol - yeah yeah I know - dragging my knuckles on this a bit...

I actually cleared the Nova out the other day - been using it as a storage dump for parts - decided to catalogue everything and stick it up the loft.

Rang the garage and theyre going to try and get it in this weekend...once I get it back I can then start work on the front end and work back...

Im reluctant to do anythng else to it (eg make the rear lighths etc) until I see the lights in position - then I can get a feel for the rest of the cars kit - see if the drawings I did will look right...

Once I get her back from getting the new front panel on there will be regular posts...if the weather continues like this I'll be in the garage every night!

Also - missus just told me shes probably going to get a promotion to Elgin for 6 months - so that means the week day evenings are MINE! ALL MINE!

Mike
08-06-06, 10:00 AM
missus just told me shes probably going to get a promotion to Elgin for 6 months - so that means the week day evenings are MINE! ALL MINE!

bet your well chuffed arent you, 6 months of freedom! lol lol

Timmy
08-06-06, 12:30 PM
no leg over for ade LOL

Mike
08-06-06, 12:34 PM
no leg over for ade LOL

lol lol gutted! It'll have to be Pam and her 5 friends then lol :wtf:

ade
23-06-06, 09:49 PM
lol - cars going into the garage next Friday - providing he can shift a car hes currently working on...

Matt2107
26-06-06, 11:49 AM
Nice one mate.
I think this is my favourite post of all time.

Sorta good news about your missus.

Hmmm car or sex?

Its a hard one!

ade
06-07-06, 06:38 PM
HOORAY!!!

The nova got towed to the garage tonight!

What a laugh - my areas quite quiet - the mechanic only had a metal tow rope and all I had was my handbrake (no engine in car).

Got to the main road junction and as he pulled away the tow eye ripped off!

PMSL!

Of course there was some MUPPET WOMAN (no offence to NL ladies!) who happened to be turning and she beeped her feckin horn at me because I was blocking the entrance (parked cars on her side!). So I got out and said - what you BLIND - I'm on tow (or was) and theres no engine in me car - cant you see the gaping hole (there was no bonnet)!

WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO PEDAL!!!

lol

managed to attach the metal rope to the old lower valance (which is getting removed) and drig it down to the garage.

I also asked him to give it the once over to see if owt needs welding underneath - kind of scared what he'll find now!

oops.

Should get it back next week. Just glad he's got it!

Matt2107
07-07-06, 01:28 PM
About time mate.. just kidding.
It's nice when you get things rolling (excuse the pun)

Hope it doesnt need too much plating.

Mike
07-07-06, 04:50 PM
yeah, Ade's on a roll (so to speak?? lol) of to the garage. Suppose it'l be coming along in no time them matey. :thumb:

ade
07-07-06, 08:40 PM
took delievery of the final key to the jigsaw today - a 2nd hand mk2 punto bonnet! has a few dents so perfect for chopping up

The plan is to cut the front section off from the light brows and weld onto my nova bonnet.

It's actually wider than my bonnet so not only do I need to cut it across ways but I need to cut a section out the middle.

Cant wait to get the nova baxck from the garage - just hope he doesnt find any scarey holes underneath!

Mike
10-07-06, 11:01 AM
Nice, so the bonnet will be the next thing then. :thumb:

Matt2107
11-07-06, 12:31 PM
Ade - I think you should give up your job so that you can work on this. You know it makes sense.

Mike
11-07-06, 12:38 PM
^^ Doubt it, Ade seems to make everday last 48 hours! Dont know about 24! lol lol

ade
13-07-06, 11:23 PM
pmsl!

going to the garage tomorrow - should have got ity back by now but I have a feeling hes not even started it yet!

He's not called to advise of any scarey holes or owt so that s good news I suppose.

Plan is to get it back and start work on making the Punto light housings. Once theyre in place I can start on modding the wings then the bonnet.

Then its simplay a case of working back from there.

Ive a fair bit to do to the seams (need to reseal the lot) as well as strip it right back to nowt and clean all the rust off it ready for painting. Going to be a long job but the wifes just been told she's working away for 6 months which means I'll be able to stay in the garage till late without getting shouted at!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Welsh Dan
13-07-06, 11:28 PM
she's working away:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I always love news like that :).

novaco
13-07-06, 11:48 PM
Woop Woop!!

Matt2107
17-07-06, 11:15 AM
should have got ity back by now but I have a feeling hes not even started it yet!

I had this problem when I had my rear arches, rear panel and front panel done. If you wanna put the fear of god up him suggest that you'd like to come and take some WIP photo's lol.

ade
17-07-06, 11:06 PM
good plan - Im of work this Wednesday so intend to take a trip down. I'm also off work Friday so will tell him I'd like to collect it then - for cash...might be a nice incentive...

Matt2107
18-07-06, 01:43 PM
I am also off work on Friday as its my 24th :D

ade
22-07-06, 12:26 AM
WHOOOOO!

GOT THE NOVA BACK TODAY WITH NEW PANEL ON IT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/f4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/f3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/f2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/f1.jpg

Jobs a goodun and pretty cheap too - so much so that I treated myself to an new adjustable strutbrace and pipercross cone air filter!

He also cracked my nuts (oo - rephrase that) - on my suspension so I can fit poly bushes

Ades big garage is back on track!

Plans for this weekend -

Get some ramps and some other bits n bobs
strip the engine bay and clean it up (de rust)
strip suspension and start to clean up
start work on light housings and bonnet.

That'll do for now - I'll post and stick up pics as I go!

Ade (getting all excited like its christmas lol!)

Adam
22-07-06, 11:49 AM
New shiny metal, nice :)

novacomewithexcitement
22-07-06, 12:53 PM
crickey! that nova has took a slap to the chin!

ade
22-07-06, 10:43 PM
lol - it needed it!

Saturday 22nd July 2006
Ok, Ade's garage rebuild starts after a fecking HUGE stall (I need to learn how to weld!)

Spent most of the morning at Halfords and other motor factors getting odds and sods including car ramps filler and glass fibre...

The plan today was to focus on the lights and creating or at least thinking about how I was going to mount them on the nova shell. I needed to line them up so I could use the positions to creats templates to cut metal sheet from.

As you can see from the pics in other posts Id cut my old light housings away. This was done because they were both rusted pretty badly and there was no point in keeping them because the Punto lights I intend to use will not fit in the existing housings.

SO - the 1st thing I had to do was work out how to get both sides to line up correctly. The difficulty is you cant just take a tape measure to it because of the infamous Nova tolerances. I started by bolting on my new patern wings. Had to do a little grinding at the front to get them to fit and line up but I expected that.

Once in place I knew I had to cut away the section that sits underneath the lights. It was at this point I wish I'd got mk1 wings - would have saved a heap of time! I then placed the Punto lights in rough positions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights004.jpg

The next step was how do I ensure theyre the right height and position (angle wise). This took me ages to work out but basically I took a large sheet of card and laid it against one wing and took measurements. That way I could see exactly where I wanted the lights to go, how they lined up against the card and could use the exact dimensions of the car to replicate the detail on the other side.

With these measurements recorded, I took a peice of flat thin wood and laid it across the front of the car between the wings so it was right at the front of each wing tip. As both wings "should" be horizontal to each other (+-0.5mm) I figured that it was as good a guide as any. I took further measurements at set intervals along the plank to the scuttle panel to ensure each side matched. I then used the card measurements to bolt the lights in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights012.jpg

Once in place, I removed the bumper (which I was using as a rough guide) and then spent a while tweeking the positions, cutting and trimming inner wing so the lights would sit correctly etc).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights014.jpg

The next task was to try and work out the best way of securing each light in position from the underside 1st, then how to build upper mountings which could be joined on to the original slam panel (or what was left of it).

I started making very rough card inserts and playing abot with them as supports that would interlock. This seems to work but I need to spend more time taking proper measurements (thats Sundfays task).

In addition to this I discovered (I kind of knew from before I started the project) that the radiator side mounting was in the way! This is somethijng I need to try and find a solution for. the obvious choice is to move the radiator about an inch to the drivers side however I dont really want to have to start cutting holes in my brand new lower panel! (I'm open to suggestions on how I can remidy this!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights018.jpg

This is the state of the car a present...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights021.jpg

Food stuffs
Managed to consume 4 cups of coffee and a HUGE bacon sandwich.

Personal Injury
Sunburn - although I didnt know it at the time - itrs been pretty overcase all day...stings like f00k!

nasty cut on right index finger off a metal edge - thought Id need stitches (man flu stylee) - bugger wouldnt stop bleeding..

Right - off to try and work out these mountings...

more tomorrow...

Ade

:thumb:

Riggy
22-07-06, 10:56 PM
loving the progress fella :thumb:

NovaLegend
22-07-06, 11:56 PM
your a god :thumb:

ade
23-07-06, 10:06 PM
lol - I do my best...

ade
23-07-06, 10:19 PM
Sunday 23rd July 2006 - 8.30am

Up early - couldnt sleep ( kept seeing images of fitting my lights and cardboard shapes! :wtf: - v sad).

Plan today is to make up the base plates for the lights and get them ligned up ready for the back panels and slam panel.

First task was to secure the side mounting. Punto lights have 4 mounting points - as you look at the light - 2 on the top, 1 on the left (where the grill is) and one on the right side at the back. This one clips into a securing panel with a slider. You can see the arm in the bottom right of the light housing on the pic below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0003.jpg

The lights (to the base of the housing) sit 51cm from ground level and 58cm to just under the clear casing (23"). The side mounting needed to be lined up carefully as this provides the anchor point for the rest of the mounts and allows the light to be positioned properly.

A simple bracket did the job. It was held in place with a rivet to start with until the exact position could be worked out. It will be reinforced later once the rest of the housing is built.

Once that was done I needed to build the support in which the lights would sit. The underside of Punto lights is flat with except for the rear where the access panels are to get to the bulbs - that sticks down.

First job was to make a metal base plact that fit snuggly to the underside of the lights. This would act as the baseline from which the front supports would be secured to giving rhe lights a firm position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0032.jpg

Once this was completed I started work on the front support. This would be rivetted directly on to the lower panel and act as an extension of the same. It's basically a t shape made from 1 sheet of metal folded. Small cuts were made so that it didnt foul the bumper carriage mounting points. To ensure the position was exact the plate was positioned with the new light base plate and light resting on it. (you can see the side bracket in this pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0024.jpg

From this measurements were taken and the plate rivited in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0034.jpg

The base plate for the lights will be rivetted in place last as this needs to be spot on to prevent the lights being out of line.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/DSCF0033.jpg

The next task is to fill the void between the inner wing and the new front lower panel. Another plate was needed which had to fit snuggly and provide rigidity to the front panel and the inner wing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/SCF002.jpg

The base plate for the lights was then placed back and the light refitted to ensure it was snug.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/SCF004.jpg

The top support arms of the front extension can be adjusted to allow for the angle and once the baseplate is secure the correct pitch can be set.

Throughout the wing was placed against the housings to ensure it still fitted. With the new plates in place, the wing slots on and off without any fuss at all (result!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/SCF008.jpg

The next step is to secure the lower base plate and build the rear of the housing.

It all then needs seam sealed and smoothed.

(for reference the metal used is galvanised steel).

Still need to find a way of relocating the radiator...

Ade

macc nova
24-07-06, 11:38 AM
cant wait until its finished :thumb:

Matt2107
24-07-06, 01:35 PM
Those punto lights aren't a bad fit into the wing are they.

Have you thought about getting a custom rad made up?
Might be easier to fit one in the space you have.

This is a big job ade and your having a bloody good go at it.

I think we should start a campaign to have your avatar changed to "legend"

NovaLegend
24-07-06, 04:25 PM
I think we should start a campaign to have your avatar changed to "legend"

coudn't agree more ;) .. absoloutly ace keep up the good work :thumb:

ade
24-07-06, 10:47 PM
lol. Thanks but I like muy avatar as it is although miss the "haggis eating post shlag" that used to be above it!

Monday 24th July 2006
Hard day at work so didnt get much done tonight. Finished the drivers side and plated up the wing to the lower section.

I'm off work tomorrow but promissed the missus I'd do things with her seeing as how I spent most of the weekend on the car. Might get a play later tomorrow afternoon.

Plan is to mount the baseplates, reinfotce the fronts to make them sturdy and create backs so they sit snug. Then I can work on the tops for the slam panel...

Might have a tinker with the radiator aswell - see if I cant fashion something up...

ade
25-07-06, 06:51 PM
Tuesday 25th July - the day I almost died!

lol

Been out with the wife all day and thought I'd come back and do a little bit of work on my lights - needed to add strength to the inner parts of the base plates to give them support.

Before I could do this I had to bolt the carriage bar in place and was happily tightening the bolt away when

SLIP!

the ratchet slipped off the nut, my hand shot down and my wrist sliced into the side edge of my new lower panel.

Cut me right on the artery!

:O

Luckily it wasnt quite deep enough to spurt but started bleeding quickly and the skin parted nicely - had a total panic and almost whitied (as you do when you cut yourself) - stoodf over the sink with my hand under the tap sweating buckets!

Feckin horrible - heres the evidence!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/cut1.jpg

doesnt look too bad - manageed to squeeze the skin together and so far it stuck on its own accord. Possibly a stitch job - if it pops I'll go to the hospital later...

So word of warning - if your working on your car look at whats round you before doing owt! Risk assessment people! May save your life!

lol

General Baxter
25-07-06, 07:33 PM
lol i had one of those

http://www.streetrace.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4262&d=1152886328

Mike
25-07-06, 09:00 PM
Yeah Baxter, yor wrist!!!

Mike
25-07-06, 09:02 PM
Yeah Baxter, yor wrist!!!

Me: How the feck did you manage that!!
Baxter: Remeber that side window i asked you for??
Me: Yeah?
Baxter: Well i feel through one and done this ^^^ and now need a replacement!

PMSL The other week on MSN when you told me how you done that!! But yes, I can see the lesson from thsi, same as what i did, stabbed myself in the wrist with a MIG welder and burnt to the bone!! Yuooooooooooooooooooch!!

NovaLegend
25-07-06, 09:24 PM
dont look to nice there .. as you said maybe a stitch or two

whats up with all them deleted messages??

Mike
25-07-06, 09:40 PM
Oh my PC threw a fit and posted 7 variations of the same reply!!! WTF??

ade
26-07-06, 08:39 AM
lol - woke up this morning after about 2 hrs sleep and wrist was really sore - also still bleeding a bit so am gonna go to docs. cant really move it as get sharp pains which means i can only use left hand (no jokes!)

i'll prob get hand strapped up to prevent it moving...

Matt2107
26-07-06, 09:07 AM
Best to get it checked.
When was your last tetinus?

You might need to get pricked again ;)

ade
26-07-06, 11:06 PM
doc said it was fine - all bits working anjd skin had resealed very well - bruised a tad and aches but said just keep a plaster on it and try not to knock it. Gonna leave the car till the weekend let it heal.

Took delivery of more stuff today - got my spanking new adjustable strut brace (?40 ebay), new pipercross induction kit, some rivets (200 big uns for ?5 - ebay) and some lego so I can build wallks for my model moulds...

Still waiting on chassis paint and some tetrosyl shutz stone chip sealer and that'll do for now...

Mike
27-07-06, 12:05 PM
some lego so I can build wallks for my model moulds...

Models, yeah right!!!! Meh, your gonna be making little Lego villages again arnt you PMSL lol lol

craig green
27-07-06, 12:33 PM
The headlights look like they will overhang the front bumper.....

Regarding the cuts to Ade & Baxters skin. Use superglue (no joke)

Ste L
27-07-06, 12:39 PM
lol. Thanks but I like muy avatar as it is although miss the "haggis eating post shlag" that used to be above it!

you can change it to that if you want yourself...

go here : http://www.novaload.net/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile
and you will see custom title further down the page ;)

cars looking good, nice work fella

Timmy
27-07-06, 04:34 PM
car looking cool i think the lighjts will look the nuts, any other cool ideas your getting done ? both of your cut looks nasty, iv got a scare on one wrist from fix a mate push bike and sliped with mole grips painful
Timmy

General Baxter
27-07-06, 05:30 PM
ade - when you cut your hand was the blood projectile, i was more angry about my blood hitting my nice new paintwork, did not really care about the ft of blood flying out my wrist lol

ade
27-07-06, 10:48 PM
nah - wasnt a spurt job - it bled but not that much - it was more the shock that hit me - the thought of nearly slicing a main vein made me panic! (I HATE blood) - seeing it pulse under the skin didnt help either.

Craig - the lights stick out over the bumper about 4 inches! The reason for that is because the Punto lights are curved unlike the Nova ones - I plan to build a custom front bumper following the curve of the lights based on the OPC corsa concept with Monaro style side skirts and a custom rear end, smoothed boot and custom interior - see the draft pics on earlier pages (1 to 5) for rough ideas...

I pretty much have everything i need - hoping to get more of the lights done this weekend although have plans for Friday and Saturday night so work will be limited. If I can get the housings for the lights I can start on the wings - then move onto the bumper...

Matt2107
28-07-06, 09:34 AM
although have plans for Friday and Saturday night

Doesn't involve pints does it?:D

ade
29-07-06, 09:36 AM
lol - a little!

ade
11-08-06, 10:54 PM
Friday 11/08/2006

Pretty good day on the rebuild. Did more on the lights and started building the boxes to support the backs and top.

First though I had to play on ebay and after a bit of close bidding won a 7" touch screen monitor for my in dash PC. Paid ?120 which is over half the price of these things new, so am well chuffed!

My wrist has healed upo nicely but to be on the safe side I masked off all sharp edges! Also wore a coiuple of sweat bands - felt like some 80's FAME disco dancer! lol

First task was to rivet the base plates in place and support the fronts of the lights (they stick out approx 4" over the lower front valance)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights30.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights31.jpg

I used galvanised brackets from B&Q - they fit snug behind the carriage bar and fit perfectly.

Heres both sides complete -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights29.jpg

Theyre perfectly and are very firm however they still have enough play in them to adjust if I need to - this will stop though as soon as I build the rear, side and top supports.

My biggest problem is still the radiator which is right up to the back of the offside light housing. The main problem comes if I need to remove the back to change a bulb - could prove difficult. Spent ages thinking how I could get round it but think I've found a method that doesnt result in me removing the front of the car and then the light unit itself!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights26.jpg

This pic shows the cardboard template - note the black section to the right. This is where the main light unit cover is. You can see the arfeas on the left that need cutting away so I can get access to the left side too.

The following pics show the top section as well as the radiator in position and just how neat it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights25.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights27.jpg

From this I'll tweek the templates (thres 5 sections that make up the housing), then make it out of sheet metal. This section will join onto the original centre slam panel at the corner of each light again using sheet metal. It should be rigid enough but to make sure I'm using 1.2mm sheet bent at the edges to act as a support.

Inhjuries
Didnt cut myself today (although did drag my knuckles along the wall which was sore!)

Drinks
only 2 cups of coffee! Must be a world record for the least amount drunk!

lol

ade
11-08-06, 10:59 PM
I may consider relocating the rad 1" to the left - Will need to make some kind of platfoorm/support that will slot into the oringinal rubber feet, allowing me to slot the bottom of the rad onto the platform and then lock it in place...

not sure though...

db_1.2
11-08-06, 11:18 PM
Great work Ade!!!

Cant wait to see the finished product, have you not thought about getting a smaller radiator? I dont see waht other options there could be other than re-locating it

Keep up the good work:thumb:

ade
12-08-06, 11:49 PM
Heres the radiator idea - bought the parts today and it shuld work -

Posted a thread a while back looking for a solution to moving my rad as part of my rebuild.

problem is my new Punto lights were obstructing the passenger side mount and I needed to move across 2" or so. I didnt really want to drill new mounting holes in my new lower valance so after thinking long and hard came up with this solution.

Take 1 U shaped metal bar and sit radiator in it through 2 drilled holes.

Need to drill to small 1cm holes for the new radiator pegs - but these are more for additional support.

Where the existing mounting points were, drop 2 screws which will be self tapped into the U bar into the holes. Because the ends of the radiator (the plastic bits) are wider that ther actual rad itself, you need to cut 2 sections out of it. This is handy because it stops the rad moving about and lock it in place making a perfect cradle!

Secure the tops and sides by drilling out the existing mounting point welds and remounting with either rivets or new welds -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad1.jpg

I've yet to actually do it but I cant see why it wont work.

ade
13-08-06, 12:02 AM
Saturday 12/08/2006

Plan today was to make the metal surrounds for the lights. Fisrstly I purchased the stuff I needed for the rad relocation (see above) - simply 2 L shaped bars with channels cut in them (like mechano) - nice and thick for strength and when bolted together a perfect fit for the rad.

The lights
Using the card templates I cut out the sections out of sheet galvanised steel 1.2mm thick. Didnt appreciate how tough this would actually be and it took pretty much all day! not looking forward to doing the other one tomorrow (dont even know if I'll be able to my hands are so stiff!)

Once the patterns were cut out it was a case of bend to fit and then tweek.

I made 5 sections as follows -

1 x back section that supports the rear of the lights allowing access
1 x side section that fits wound the outside of the inner wing and provides support for the light side
1 x front end section and supports the inside part of the light and provides a mounting point for the centre mount
1 x top section that provides a mount for the 2 top mounting points a strengthens the top section making the lights secure
1 x bracket shape to link the existing extension at the front to the new front end section and provide support underneath.

The entire structure fitted pretty well and provides good access to the back. I mounted it temporarily using macking tape and when assembles it was really tough! The light is held firm. It'll be really strong once revitted together and then screwed to the light.

Here was the original card template -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights26.jpg

Heres the actual metal surround held in place with tape -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights40.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights39.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights37.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights36.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights38.jpg

Tomorrows game is to bolt this in place and then do the other side...

boredbloke
13-08-06, 12:13 PM
looking sweet ade dude,

one of the reason i checked back was to see how this was getting on...

I think you should get you're own thread made though without all the comments that only you can post on so we can see all progress from start to finish over the least amount of pages!

Keep on it dude ;)

Geth
13-08-06, 01:03 PM
Looking good Ade. Haven't had a look at this thread in a while now and it's really coming on. I have to admit that when I first looked the project plans I was thinking "Yeah right, another project that will be abandond in a couple of months". So good on ya mate, can't wait to see the finished product. :thumb:

ade
13-08-06, 09:42 PM
cheers - dont want my own thread - I like the comments - keeps me motivated...I feel loved!

lol

doherty
13-08-06, 09:44 PM
holy cack ade...thats some fine work your doin...you seem to be a master of all things fiddly an precise...lol..

cant wait to see how the car looks in the end...keep up the great work..

ade
13-08-06, 09:57 PM
Sunday 13/08/2006
Well the neighbours well and truely hate me! They never actually said anything but I was in the garage from 9.30 grinding, hammering, cutting and bashing metal pretty much all day!

First task (after a cup of coffee and 2 glorious applewood smoked dry cured bacon rolls - mmmm bacon) was to derust the area around where the lights were to go. I'd cleaned out most of the loose rust the other day so it was a simple case of applying a ton of Krust. Wjulst that was curing I turned my attention to the drivers light surround.

The good news was that the card template I used for the Passenger side one was a perfect fit in reverse (I just turned the card over and flipped the tabs the other way!). I had to make some adjustments around the engine mount area but it was pretty straight forward.

The difficulty was cutting the fecking things out. My hands were really sore from Saturdays little metal cutting experience and the fleshy parts at the base of my thumbs was (and still is) really sore!

After several hours of cursing, hacking, snipping and generally getting all wound up I finally got all the patterns cut out.

Heres a pic of the passengers side one from yesterday -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights47.jpg

The drivers is much the same.

The hardest part to do was the back housing. This is basically a flat sheet with a hole cut in the middle and the edge is formed into a box. Problem is cutting out the middle section. What I really needed was a nibbler or one of them rotazip things - however the only "quick" was I could think of doing it was to drill holes round the edge, then file the edges down like so -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights49.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights46.jpg

Didnt take too long - just made a ton of noise.

Heres a pic of one of the 5 pieces - this is the back bracket that supports the front of the light (from the back) and provides another anchort for the front mounting -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights44.jpg

Heres the unit assembled -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights45.jpg

Still needs a little tweeking but is solid and the good news is both lights can be removed without disconnecting any of the housings - plus theres access to the backs.

I still need to drill a couple of access holes for the adjustment screws (cant get to one) but that's easy enough.

Heres a couple of pics with both lights mounted (and housings tacked in place)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights42.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights41.jpg

Theyre both dead level and the same distance from various points on the engine bay.

Next task is to rivet/bond them in place and seal them up.

Ste L
14-08-06, 10:42 AM
nice work that fella, looking good

Mike
14-08-06, 12:09 PM
Ade, looking sweet matey! Really coming along now that is!

Matt2107
14-08-06, 12:11 PM
Do the headlights adjust internally Ade???

ade
14-08-06, 05:38 PM
yeah - theres motors for the dips (like in the nova ones) but also 2 thread screws so they can be adjusted horizontally and vertically to line up beams.

You can get access to the inside one by the centre mount but not the one by the wings at the moment. Need to drill an access hole.

Martin
14-08-06, 10:47 PM
Youre a God lol keep up the work mate ya doing just fine carnt wait to see this at PV Or somewere :D

Nova_Houch7
15-08-06, 02:45 AM
Comin on nicely mate, keep it up! shame about the injuries along the way, but what do you expect from doing allthis work, more injuries to come probably lol.

Lookin 4ward to seein more updated pics, just read through the whole lot.

L

Matt2107
15-08-06, 11:12 AM
Are you sure you weren't just wearing the sweat bands for fun ade?

ade
15-08-06, 07:03 PM
nah - sweat bands are the future - same a pop socks! (which I was NOT wearing at the time). Have slipped twice since the wrist incident and theyve saved me skin - literally...

Mr_C
15-08-06, 07:52 PM
whats a pop sock? Is this something that the older generation will know ? Cars coming along nicely mate :)

Atic
16-08-06, 03:17 AM
nice work going on...

Mike
16-08-06, 12:10 PM
wernt those pop socsk the things you pput in the microwave?? or am i tripping out?

philly
16-08-06, 12:37 PM
ar pop socks them stupidly long ones like leg warmers in the eric prydz video

shy witness
16-08-06, 08:01 PM
looks good mate

and an interesting read.........a nice bit of effort being put in aswell

great stuff

doherty
16-08-06, 08:21 PM
wernt those pop socsk the things you pput in the microwave?? or am i tripping out?

lol lol lol i think you mean pop tartslol lol

Nova_Houch7
16-08-06, 08:47 PM
lol lol lol i think you mean pop tartslol lol

lollollol yeh it is pop tarts...istill eat them in the morning, and for lunch sometimes too lol lol

L

ade
18-08-06, 07:05 PM
lol at pop tarts! Didnt they get banned because some nobber stuck one in his mouth after taking out of the toaster and the super heated jam scorched his mouth so bar he was on fluids for 3 months!

Sued the feckers for thousands because there wasnt a warning on the packaging!

ade
18-08-06, 07:15 PM
Thursday 17/08/2006

Today I are mostly be sticking my new light surrounds to my engine bay.

Took fecking all day! I bought this amazing stuff called liquid metal which is suposed to provide a bond almost as strong as a weld. Now I know it isnt as strong but with a couple of rivets in key places its perfect for what I'm doing as that part of the car isnt structural.

First thing I did was pop down to my local Vauxhall garage and order a ton of new clips and bolts - discoveres NovaFreak (Ali) another novaloader works there! V handy - got the parts for nowt!

:p Cheers mate!

I started by lining everything up and making small adjustments then clean off the paint where the metal would join, drilled holes for the rivets and stuck it all together -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights52.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights54.jpg

The 1st side took about 4 hours as I spent most of the time checking the light would fit, I could still get access to the back panels and could remove it if necessary. Its very tight but totally solid!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights60.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights59.jpg

That's both sides done - perfectly horizontal and lined up! Theres enough adjustment in the lights to make small changes if I need to but once bolted in place theyre more solid than the original nova ones!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights55.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights51.jpg

This pic shows exactly how far they stick out. Its about 4".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights58.jpg

The next task is to work on the bonnet and then the front bumper.

Need to build an extension on the carriage bar somehow to support it. Should be fun!

Timmy
19-08-06, 01:14 PM
look really cool. nice work with the mounting brackets.

ade
19-08-06, 07:11 PM
Saturday 19/08/2006 (part 1)

Today I are mostly be fitting my new bonnet extension!

The plan was to cut the front of an existing Punto bonnet and attach it to the front end of the existing Nova bonnet - however the punto bonnet is wider than the Nova one so it needed to be chopped up to fit.

The 1st stage was to remove the sound deadening and the washer jets. I'll be using the Punto Jets on my new bonnet as theyre really cool - they sit mid way up the bonnet and have 3 jets per head that can be angled. I'll also recycle the sound deadening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights79.jpg

Then the punto bracket had to be drilled out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights78.jpg

The Punto bonnet is excatly 10cm too wide between the lights so I need to cut a chunk out. I measured 40cm back from the front to allow plenty of metal to attach to the car and then drew on the cut lines for the section to be removed. The the grinder came out to play...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights76.jpg

Front section separated, the next task was to detach the inner super structure - this is held in place with big blobs of what looks like tiger seal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights74.jpg

I need to remove it because its too big - I'll possibly be salvaging it later on to reinforce the inside once the outer skin is attached. I parted the folds at the edges and prised it apart -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights73.jpg

Once the inner support was removed, the outer skin could be cut using conventional metal cutters - it was surprisingly easy to cut. The excess metal from the middle was removed and the 2 sections offered up to the Nova bonnet for a test fit. The curves on the Nova bonnet are an almost perfect line up to the Punto ones!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights72.jpg

Both sides were held in place with masking tape for a visual check

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights71.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights70.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights69.jpg

I'll post part 2 of how I fitted the parts once I've had me tea...

draper
19-08-06, 07:20 PM
looks good ade, just 1 thing, what are you doing about the front of the wings ?

ade
19-08-06, 07:36 PM
front wings will be modified to fit the lights and marry up to the new bonnet. Theyre also a little tatty (new but dented inplaces) so need skimming.

draper
19-08-06, 07:38 PM
are they going to follow the lines of the bonnet and meet the original nova wing then ??

ade
19-08-06, 07:45 PM
Part 2

Fitting the extension was a bit of a problem as I wasnt sure of the best way to do it. Id toyed with the idea od cuting a slit in my Nova bonnet and slotting the new extension in - bonding it with liquid metal and rivetting from the underside, however the inside of my bonnet was covered in grease and dirt and it would have been impossible to clean up to make a strong bond.

So in the end I opted for violence. I knew where the extension had to go and knew I'd need to skim the joins with filler/resin so based on this decided to create a dent along a drawn line and then rivet each extension panel along this. The dent would take the extension level below the existing bonnet line allowing the panels to be rivetted in place and then skimmed.

To ensure both panels could be joined smoothly, I also had to create a crease along the edge of one of the panels dso the other one would lap over it without causing a raised edge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights66.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights65.jpg

I then took a hammer with a pointed head and hammered the front of the Nova bonnet caving it in along a drawn line (see above pics).

I then sanded all the paint off the Nova bonnet panel at the front and the underside of each Punto panel to create a clean edge and bonded the panels to the Nova bonet using Liquid metal and rivets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/62.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights64.jpg

The grey line is liquid metal which will cure to a very strong bond overnight.

The front section where the grill would go needs to be cut back to about 2" below the top of the lights. I intend to fit a new style chrome Opel strip with badge and then a custom grill beneath bonded to the new bumper.

The next task it to reinforce the underside and cut the grill section back.

ade
19-08-06, 07:50 PM
Draper-Midlands - yes - they'll curve round to match the corners of the bonnet extension. New surrounds will be made to match the lights

db_1.2
19-08-06, 08:15 PM
damn good work ill say!!! what plans you got for the front bumper? i rekon bat motorsport myself, also, i got one of those for sale!!!:D

good work like always:thumb:

Jack
19-08-06, 08:51 PM
Good work Ade, coming along nicely now :thumb:

krobinson
19-08-06, 10:14 PM
I had my doubts about these punto lights, but thats looking very well, Cant wait to see it all come together!

Keith

TommySR
19-08-06, 11:01 PM
very original, thought it would look ugly as sin but now the bonnets extended to match etc. its growing on me, am very interested on what its gonna look like with the new bumper

novaco
20-08-06, 09:56 AM
looks good ade!!! cant wait to see the front end finished!!

ade
20-08-06, 10:49 AM
the bumper will be custom made - it needs to be because standard nova bumpers are flat and the front of my car is now rounded (well the corners are) so the bumper I'm going for is based loosely on the OPC corsa bumper (not the new corsa/baby astra the one before).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/concept1.jpg

http://www.opel6070club.com/history/corsaopc.jpg (http://www.opel6070club.com/history/corsaopc.jpg)

Colour wise I'm looking at BMW dakar yellow and anthracite trim/alloys or gun metal/anthracite for the whole car with chrome highlights...

philly
20-08-06, 10:55 AM
car is looking mint mate.

do you work as a panel beater or is it just a hobby.

cant wait to see what else you do

ade
20-08-06, 11:00 AM
I work for esure.com car insurance lol

Got a degree in model making although I've never used is commercially -so this is sort of work for my portfolio coz I wanna get back into it professionally (fed up of working in call centres!).

I'm the kind of person that likes taking things apart and seeing how they work - hands on etc.

My other main project at the moment is the model novas - www.modelnovas.com although these have taken a back seat since the Nova came back from the garage!

Need to start making some more!

nathan.
20-08-06, 05:19 PM
Really impressive ade. Well done matey, looks like its coming together well.

Mike
20-08-06, 05:34 PM
I work for esure.com car insurance lol

Hell yeah! Call centres suck!! I used to work at Egg.com (yeah no jokes as ive heard them all before!!)

Ade, that car is seriuosly going to be mint once it completed!!! Top stuff that :thumb:

Jack
20-08-06, 06:25 PM
I reckon it would look good in red to be honest (no surprise there lmfao), VXR style...

Lee
20-08-06, 08:29 PM
Loving this thread Ade, some mind boggling work on those light surrounds!! And im also loving how the two swage lines on the two bonnets ALMOST match, almost as if fiat made it to mate to a nova bonnet lol

Matt2107
22-08-06, 04:18 PM
Ade - I frequently rattle on at the gf about this nova, then last night we had a little convo. It went something like this...

gf - "is Ade going to Cheltenham?"
me - "afraid not... he lives in Scotland"
gf - "oh thats a shame.... I like Scotland"
me - "been there before... didn't like it"
gf - "maybe we could go in October for a week"
me - "only if we can go see Ade and his nova one day so I can buy him a beer"
gf - "ok then"
me - (at this point I could no longer talk as she had just agreed to go to Scotland to see a nova.)

ade
23-08-06, 09:30 AM
pmsl!

I have 4 bedrooms - feel free to come for a "working weekend" - could do with some help!

lol

shy witness
26-08-06, 11:18 AM
great pictures ....and some nice work going on in them

ya've got balls i must say...but its all starting 2 come 2gether pretty well

goood man

ade
27-08-06, 12:02 AM
Saturday 26/08/2006

Today I are mostly be reinforcing my new bonnet extension and starting to blend in the extension to the Nova bonnet. I also cut the front down to the right size to allow for my custom grille.

The 1st task was to strengthen the extended front section. To do this I used the existing Punto inner structural section I separated from the bonet when I originally attached it (see prev pics in earlier posts). As the Punto bonnet is wider than the Nova one I had to cut a section out of the centre of the reinforced section and modify the rear part so it would lock into what was the front underside of the Nova bonnet. The new structural sections would then slot back into the folds on the light surrounds and then be married up with the front part of the outer skin, which I'd cut down so it sat about 2" below the top of the lights creating a little lip.

The following pics show the reinforced underside which has been rivetted and liquif welded in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights88.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights90.jpg

Once this had cured I started to blend in the new extension. I removed all the paint from the extension and some from the nova bonnet so I could ensure a really solid bond with the resin/filler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights86.jpg

This would prevent it from cracking as well as the filler would bond directly to metal which like paint doesnt flake off (one of the reasons filler cracks). I started by laying on resin (fibrol which is chapped fibreglass in resin).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights85.jpg

I then built up layers of filler to smooth the join. This will take a while to complete satisfactorily - the green bit is the filler

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights83.jpg

Theres still lots of work to do on the bonnet to get it totally smooth but the following pics show the shortened front section and progress to date -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights82.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights80.jpg

Its starting to take shape and character. Note the wings areent lined up correctly and the bonnet looks uneven because the bonnet details dont line up with the new extension. this will be fixed later.

I also need to smooth the bottom part of the front of the bonnet - again to be done later. But you get the idea...

novarobbo
27-08-06, 12:12 AM
quality work mate :thumb: keep it up

Geth
27-08-06, 12:14 AM
Dude!!! That is looking really smart. Checking this thread has started to become the high point of my weekend!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Martin
28-08-06, 12:32 PM
lookin good man keep it up

kevo16v
28-08-06, 02:02 PM
Fair play to you mate, thats some god damn impressive work you've done there!!! Hats off to you, keep up the good work!:thumb:

philly
28-08-06, 06:55 PM
mint. really taking shape.

how are u gonna line the wings up? just cut the edge of and weld and eyebrow type of piece on?

Mike
28-08-06, 07:00 PM
That looks ace with punto lights on! I want one! Top stuff Ade :thumb:

ade
29-08-06, 10:25 PM
Re the wings, I'll fettle a metal shape and bond it on smoothing with filler.

ade
29-08-06, 10:43 PM
Tuesday 29/08/2006

A day off work!

The plan today was to replace the metal surrounds that line the arch. Mine are totally shot as you can see from these pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust5.jpg

The idea was to cut back the rust, remove the sound deadening and bond a new inner surround to good metal. I want to take the surround right round the whole inner arch so mud from the wheels and the road doesnt splash right up into the inner wings and outer wings and rust them to feck.

That was the plan...

I started by making a template of the existing surround and extending it to the back of the light housing. Ill secure this with brackets.

Before i could do this however I needed to remove the fecking sound proofing. People say this stuff isn absolute barsteward to shift however I found if you heat it up and remove some of it with a scraper, then heat it again and get one of those metal brush attachments for the drill it comes away pretty easily. Its fecking messy mind!

Unfotrunately the sound deadening hid a host of horrors! (as it does)

The bottom of the surrounds were totally rusted right through to the sub frame and on the drivers side had actualluy compromised the cabin area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust3.jpg

As you can see its right though to the main part of the car and at the bottom could weaken the jacking points.

In addition to that, one of the welds on the passenger side stut top had gone totally. Thankfully the adjoining metal was intact.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rust1.jpg

So the old girl needs more welding.

Now at this stage most would just scrap the shell but I've spent too much now to turn back. Rang up the local body shop that did my front lower valance but he's fully booked now for ages so phoned the garage in the next village (who specialise in agricultural machinery) and because my wife has her horsebox repaired/serviced there, they said they take it this weekend and get her sorted (cheers Angus!).

So, back to the shop she goes this weekend - hopefully I'll get her back in a couple of weeks (theyre squeezing her in between other jobs as they dont usually work on cars).

Other things I did today - sealed the light housings and bolted the lights in place - checking I could actually get bolts into the holes. Its a tight squeeze but they fit fine and are really solid.

Whilst the Novas away I'll get on with the models. Need to start making them again.

I'm also going to look at how I can smooth my rear number plate recess without welding a plate. Have some ideas so will keep you posted...

Todays injuries - face full of hot waxoyl/melted sound deadening after I had my drill on the wrong direction and a nasty cut on the soft fleshy part of my thumb at the bottom that wouldnt stop bleeding for ages. Healed up nicely now though.

rednova
29-08-06, 11:02 PM
nice to see something different ade - keep it up, however wouldnt it be cheaper to learn how to weld?

Phil

womble sri
29-08-06, 11:34 PM
wish i had a welder a garage a ramp and some welding skills!

paul james
29-08-06, 11:42 PM
Id really recommend picking up a mig welder and do it yourself. Would make it a lot easier for you to do all your cool body modifications. Plus you can fix any more rusty suprises you find along the way. I taught myself to weld in a day, and just today i welded my suspension turret which was in a similar state as yours. The welding is the easy bit really, its all the sanding down to remove rust to prepare the surface that takes ages.

ade
29-08-06, 11:51 PM
think I'll be getting a welder for Christmas. Quite like the idea of making funky sh1te with it plus will be handy for patching up the Nova...

however this time I wanna just get the job done. the cost of getting it done properly will be same as I;d pay forking out for all the equipment...

Dergnova
30-08-06, 12:06 AM
Excellent work Ade,and i love the way your showing us every little thing :) ,mine is gone in the exact same places as yours,in the same way,and im fixing it myself,isnt too hard when youv got the mig hehe! Anyway looking forward to seeing more progress,keep it up!

ade
30-08-06, 09:44 PM
Wednesday 30/08/2006

Managed to get away from work early(ish) today so had a couple of hours in the garage.

Operation radiator.
One of the problems I have is the location of my radiator. The Punto lights encroach on the existing mounting points for the radiator on thre passenger side by about an inch. I had to remove the upper slam panel (the bit where the bonnet locks into to fit the lights and the problem was how do I relocate the radiator an inch to the drivers side and then reattach the upper slam panel.

Well I managed to crack the 1st part oif the radiator mounting a few weeks ago (see prev pages for drawing) and decided to put it into practice.

The idea is basically to make a rail that the radiator will sit in which is bolted to the existing mounting points. The radiator will then sit in pre drilled holes an inch to the drivers side.

I started by measuring the distance between the 2 mounting points and then going a little beyond them. Totalled 75cm.

I then took 2 L shaped metal bars and cut 2 lengths. The bars have oval slits in them which allows me to bolt them together. Conveniently theyre exactly the same width when bolted as the main part of the radiator so its held in place securely across the whole bottom length.

I had to make modifications to the now U shaped section at points where the radiator was wider than the U shape (at the ends).

Heres the U section -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad8.jpg

Heres the section mounted on to the radiator -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad7.jpg

It sits on the lower valance as follows -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad1-1.jpg

It's held in place by 2 bolts either end which slot into the existing rubber mounts and are then secured by bolts from the inside (bolts are added before inserting the rubber mounts however there are convenient access slots underneath the lower valance allowing access to them).

And heres the radiator in situ -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad10.jpg

Theres plenty of clearence on both sides and as its only been moved an inch there shouldnt be any additional stress on the hoses.

As you can see I now have plenty of room on the passenger side to create a new mounting point if I need to and the light housing is no longer fouling the radiator.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad4.jpg

I'm considering rather than have a side mounting point instead having 2 upper mounting points. I may have side points as well although I need to see how the upper slam panel will be attached. That's the next task...

Tomorrow I'm hoping to work that bit out and then strip back the carpets and wiring from the corners so I can get the additional welding done (so it doesnt catch fire).

doherty
31-08-06, 08:04 PM
:eek: my god ade..thats phenominal work there...the bonnet work is unreal..

really takin a shining to this nova.. big :thumb: :thumb: from me an keep the pics coming!!!:D

ade
31-08-06, 10:13 PM
cheers!

wifes moaning that I'm not spending much time with her though...

dave_rand
31-08-06, 10:15 PM
them head light things you have made are you getting them welded in or just leaving the on with riverts

ade
31-08-06, 10:36 PM
I'm leaving them in place with rivets and Ive also used a special automotive adhesive to give extra strength. Theryre totally solid. I must have used over 150 rivets so far.

ade
31-08-06, 10:37 PM
Thursday 31/08/2006

Managed to blag another 1/2 day todayso started work on securing what remains of my upper slam panel where the bonnet locks into.

This is another tricky part of the front end as it needs to line up exactly as it has to secure not only the bonnet but also the top of the radiator.

I started by degreasing the panel - it was caked in years of dirt and greese. Once clean I stripped down the bonnet pin and catch and degreased them also (just whilst I lined everything up).

I started by locking rhe bonnet into the slam panel and then lining up the centre metal support with the lower valance. I had to make 2 metal extensions to secure the centre column in place - this was due to the bottom welds being drilled out when I changed my lower valance initially.

Bonnet locked into the remains of the slam panel -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad14.jpg

Bottom support secured using liquid weld (the grey stuff) and rivets. The excess grey stuff can be removed later -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad16.jpg

I calculated that the distance from the back of the new light housings to the front part of the slam panel was exactly 6cm. Theres is a few mm's tolerence in this which is handy -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad23.jpg

Once I'd worked out the distances I needed to work out how to secure it. The problem is the existing panel was supported from the sides - welded into the inner wings, the light housings and down the sides into the engine bay. It was also cushioned by the radiator mountings on the top and side.

The first task was to make plates to secure the front section. I measured and cut out 2 plates which would join the inner section of the new light housings with the ends of the slam panel.These would secure it and stop it moving side to side -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad21.jpg

These will be braced underneath between the front of the panel and back of the light housings for additional strength.

This secures the front but the panel still flexes up and down when the bonnet is lifted. To stop this I need to brace each end of the panel and also support it from underneath.

I fashioned 2 brackets that will support the underside of the panel and attach it to the engine bay.

I then made card templates for the end sections -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad18.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad20.jpg

These are rough looking but will be tidied up when made in metal.

The side supports will be hidden beneath the white card templates and lock into the underside of the panel.

I'll not assemble any of this until I've stripped the paint away from the joining points - this will ensure a tough bond.

Once this is done I can work out how to secure the radiator. I can see basically where the top mount should go -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/rad15.jpg

However cant attach it until I know the definate location of the radiator in relatioon to the underside of the slam panel. I'm not sure if it site back so the topcooling fan mounting clip is exposed or whether the radiator is more towards the front of the car so the cooling fan clip is underneath the slam panel.

That's tomorrow's game (along with removing anything that may burn for the welding).

Nova_Houch7
31-08-06, 11:01 PM
gettin there then i c lol

Keep it up matey

L

ade
02-09-06, 01:41 PM
Friday 01/09/2006

Managed to Pull another 1/2 day from work (I love it when its quiet) so spent all afternoon and late into the evening in the garage.

Cars going to the Garage on Saturday to get more welding done (see earlier posts re this) so need to secure the bonnet, remove any sound deadening from inside and clear back any wires from the footwells - of which there are loads!

Using the templates I made the day before, I made a couple of minor modifications and cut 2 plates out from galvanised steel. These will secure the bonnet section of whats left of my slam panel in place.

Took ages to get them right but in the end theyre really tough and lock the panel totally. More strength will be added once the radiator is in place and the top mounting of the rad is secured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights94.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights93.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/lights96.jpg

However when bolting it all together somehow the panel moved 5mm to the drivers side so now when the bonnet closes the fecking thing moves too far to the left. 5mm is enough to make the gaps in the wings uneven!

So I had to drill out all the rivets and relocate it again!

:mad: pain in the anus! :mad:

It's really solid and now sits properly even if it did take me till 10.30pm!

The grey stuff is sealer - this will be cleaned up once cured.

Although the lock mechanism is secure I'm contemplating getting a set of bonnet pins instead of using the lock. That way I'll know it's secure...

Welsh Dan
02-09-06, 07:09 PM
Although the lock mechanism is secure I'm contemplating getting a set of bonnet pins instead of using the lock. That way I'll know it's secure...

Why not use both?

ade
03-09-06, 12:23 PM
I've decided to get some bonnet pins (solex locking ones) and remove the bonnet pin. The ones I've seen (made by Rage) are descreet units and should look good on the bonnet.

ade
07-09-06, 10:08 PM
Got a call from the local garage doing the welding on my car (the inner arches and passenger suspension post needed patching up) and they advised its ready for collection. I went up the other day to have a look and to tell them what i weanted for mounting points and it looked really good based on what they'd done at the time. Mounting point wise, I've asked them to fit pads to the bottom so my trolley jack will fit snug on them (2ton one always lives in the boot).

Should get it back Saturay morning.

ade
07-09-06, 10:27 PM
Thursday 07/09/2006

Operation Boot Flush

Tonight, I are mostly be flushing my boot.

Theres several ways to do this -

Theres the "fibreglass panel" approach which always looks a little dodgy and requires some serious bodge work (and never quite looks right).

Theres the professional "welded plate" approach which is strong, ever lasting but costs a fair bit.

And theres the "ades rivet" approach - explained below.

I figured its not a structural section and the basic concept was to make a stiff plate that can be secured with minimal fuss and then skimmed with filler (as with the welded approach). Mty idea was to to make a plate with folded edges that can be rivetted from behind and from the front in places. this will be further secured using this liquid weld stuff I;ve been using which I have to say I'm really impressed with.

I started with an old mk2 boot I had spare. I removed all anciliaries (wiper, motor etc) and took some measurements and made a card template of the basic recessed area. I made it a fraction smaller all round so that the plate would sit shallow in the recedd, allowing it to be skimmed over with filler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot7.jpg

Once the template was made, I added wings and worked out the underside that would conceal the recess from the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot8.jpg

the wings would fold back the way and sit behind the plate, angled down to fit the contour of the recess. These would them be rivetted in place from behind with additional rivets. on the face.

The pattern was then transposed onto a sheet on 1mm thick galvanised steel and cut out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot6.jpg

I then spent a few hours hammering, bending and generally shaping the sheet (unfortunately I didnt take any pics) but basically all the folds bend behind the front of the main plate. I then tested the fit and made minor adjustments.

I took measurements and drilled a series of holes along the top of the recess in the boot and down the sides - theres limited access along the bottom of the sides so planned to rivet from the outside (the plate is recessed enough to take the height of a rivet head - which if necessary can be filed flat).

To ensure a really strong bond, I removed the paint from the area that would be bonded -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot10.jpg

Liquid weld was them applied and the plate was fastened in place.

Heres the finished result (prior to smoothing off) -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot1.jpg

heres the underside (still to be sealed and completed - metals just been tapped in place provisionally) -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot2.jpg

and this image shows it looking pretty smooth -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/boot4.jpg

The sheet has been hand bashed so there are hammer marks on it but the best thing is it sits flush and is totally solid.

The next task is to remove excess liquid weld once cured, back fill with expanding foam and skim with filler...but before I do any of that I need to fit my new lock which is a VW Golf mk5 boot release. It's one of the ones where the badge lifts up and actucvates a solenoid opening the boot. Its pretty big and will dominate the rear of the car but will be a totally original feature. I'll replace the vw sign with an opel/vauxhall one 1st though and then have chrome trim coming off the sides for additional detailing (similar to the fromt grill detail of new opels).

I'll post more pics when I start that bit...

let me know what you think.

Matt2107
08-09-06, 09:38 AM
Ade do you even need to ask what we think.
It looks fantastic and the way you've done the boot panel is a good way for those unfortunates that cant weld (me included) to use.

Nice idea with the boot lock too. You are a very resourceful fella.

ade
08-09-06, 05:38 PM
I thank you!

need to see how it will come out though - I think it maybe just a little too big - but I'll draw a template 1st to assess its looks...

Lee
08-09-06, 05:45 PM
I have to agree, your a legend in being able to do all that without lifting a welder, look forward to seeing the finished result!

dave_rand
08-09-06, 05:53 PM
to be honest being a panel beater myslef its a good idea but it wont last 5mins

Dergnova
08-09-06, 08:05 PM
Hmm its a good idead but ild say it would crack after awile,hmm......hopefully the back wont rust up on you either :O

ade
08-09-06, 10:55 PM
I dont agree.

It will last more than 5 mins - I have other areas on the car that have been liquid welded and rivetted (my passenger rear arch for starters!) and its as solid as it was 5 years ago - with no rust.

It wont crack - cracking occurs due to using too much filler, not prepping the surface properly or using parts that flex (eg fibreglass).

The panel I have applied is galvanised steel (so wont rust) is rivetted with 5mm, long reach rivets and secured with liquid weld in about 20 places. Its actually more solid than the surrounding boot sides (which you can push in and out). Any exposed metal will be treated with primer and resprayed. The inside area that was stripped will be treated prior to back filling with expanding foam, which will keep all moisture out (as well as protecting the metal).

The top panel will be skimmed with a thin layer of filler the same as most welded boot panels - its literally no more than 2-3mm from being flush.

Based on my experience of "tinkering" with my nova over the years I'm very confident in my work (I wouldnt waste my time doing it if I didnt think it wouldnt work).

Finally - the boot lid is a spare so if it does got t1ts up - who cares - the originals still on the car!

lol

philly
08-09-06, 11:19 PM
once again this is amazing work.

are you going to have a tinker with some custom lights for the back too or you gonna keep them standard (nova wise)

LLUDA
08-09-06, 11:44 PM
great stuff, got me thinking (bodywork expensive in jamaica) might need to do some of this when my nova starts aching again lol

Ash
08-09-06, 11:58 PM
awesome work, i had the same idea with the boot release, but for a mk3 golf. Anyway, i was told the mk5 one didnt swing, but i know the ibiza/leon one does.

Stuff like this makes me want to keep mine.

Ash

ade
09-09-06, 11:38 AM
Saturday 09/09/2006

Today is the day I get my car back from the garage after getting some welding done.

Woke up at 8.30 to a thick blanket of fog - really thick. Not ideal for towing a Nova with no engine, no lights and SORN'd off the road back to my house (some 8 miles) on a busy A road.

On the way to the garage - and to worry me even further - there was a big off road police car parked in a layby watching traffic! Terriffic! If I saunter past in a 1/2 modded Nova that isnt even allowed on the road it's sod's law they'll catch me.

Luckily - theres a small drive by burger van in the same layby, so we pulled in and had a bacon sarnie and a cuppa coffee. Half way through contemplating going up to the police car and chapping his window to get some advice on the legalities of towing a SORN'd car he drives off!

COOL!

Got to the garage and they have done a really good job.
Hooked her up and drove backwithout incident.

Off to a wedding in the next hour or so in Edinburgh so dont have time to post pics but I will stick some up tomorrow.

And to cap off a start of a great day the suns burnt off the rest of the fog and its really sunny outside!

Think I'll be having several pints of Magners at the FREE BAR later

he he

:cool::thumb:lol

ade
09-09-06, 11:42 AM
re the lights - yes I'll be making custom rear lights using Landrover discovers domed lenses (e marked - similar to old style mini ones) with chromes rims/cylinders to house them and then cover the unit in clear polycarbonate (or similar). I need to make a new mounting housing though because the nova one is all preformed and really awkward to mod.

This however is a later mod - towards the end of the project...

Matt2107
10-09-06, 03:05 PM
Glad you got it back ok mate... where's this free bar???
lol

novaco
10-09-06, 06:10 PM
Take my hat off to you mate! this is a Ace project and gets better all the time!

ade
10-09-06, 08:28 PM
Sunday 10/09/2006

Free bar was in a little place on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Cracking night - totally cheesey 80's music all night!

Anyway - slightly sore head today so havent really done much on the nova.

I cleaned up the cured excess liquid weld off the light housings and tinkered with the boot but wasnt up to bashing metal (too much noise!).

As promised, heres some pics of the welding I had done -

This pic shows the plates along the bottom I had put in - the underseal/sound proofing his a host of holes!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/weld5.jpg

This pic shows the new inner arch I've had added. I'll be extending it along the top and down the front too so as to protect the inner wing. Plan to stick some sound proofing in the gap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/weld3.jpg

Same for the drivers side...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/weld2.jpg

The sill on the drivers side had started to corrode and thre were holes in places, so rather than replace the whole sill, I had a few plates added - these will be hidden from view with a side skirt/wing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/repair.jpg

I'm on late shift all next week so wont be doing much else till next weekend. Plan then is to strip out the engine bay and front suspension elements...

db_1.2
11-09-06, 07:19 PM
Are you using red oxide to treat the places then undersealing them?

ade
12-09-06, 12:45 AM
tbh the red was what the welder put on after he did the job. The plates will be primed and then sound deadened using rocker shutz, then undersealed to black.

I'm planning on giving them as much protection as I possibly can!

craig green
12-09-06, 11:39 AM
Mig Weld!

The possibilities are endless.

dave_rand
12-09-06, 11:41 AM
looks they they done a good job of it

burgo
12-09-06, 12:17 PM
can i have the name of the company that makes the rivets and liquid weld stuff i think buying some shares is a safe bet

craig green
19-09-06, 05:26 PM
Lmao /\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ade
20-09-06, 12:07 AM
lol.