PDA

View Full Version : How to treat rot !?

Nick
26-05-04, 09:57 PM
I got one bit of rust/rot on the Bottom corner of my rear arch, the corner that the rear part of a GSi skirt covers up !? hope u understand wot i mean

It's a bit rusty n a hole has rotted about the size of my finger end, not very big. I've got some skirts that will cover it up so how do i prep and treat it !? does the following sound pretty logical

1 - Scrape it out n clean it up, sand it down get all the flaky paint n rot away.

2 - Treat it with rust stopper/proofer (what kinda hardcore stuff is the best!?)

3 - use some filler to fill the hole up

4 - Prime it and paint it

5 - Wax oil it

6 - Slap some duck tape over it all to make it air tight n then put the skirts on n wax oil all of the gaps around the bottom n on the arch lip

it doesn't hav 2 be pretty cos it'l be all covered up, jst tryin to fink of the best thing 2 do without gettin n arches !

cheers !

CP
26-05-04, 11:16 PM
You are on the right path. The only way to cure it is to cut out the affected area and weld in new metal but thats a big job. Anywhere showing rust - apply grease / clean engine oil to the reverse side of the paint- its the most effective way to stop rust and rot getting worse. Waxoyl isnt a lot of cop once rust is there

m.d.
28-05-04, 08:55 PM
try to use something like stone chip paint rather than wax oil as water gets behind wax oil and causes rot.