PDA

View Full Version : Petrol prices idea worth reading!

walshie
26-05-04, 10:44 AM
I got sent this an thought id put it on here instead of forwarding it on it does make sense if you think about it:

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.

Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent,united
action. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to
us
than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the
OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP
at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS
control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their
Petrol!
And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and
BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at
this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions
of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at
least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten
more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,
then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level
further,
you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again,all you have
to
do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How
long
would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more
people
within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be
contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I
had
that much potential, did you!

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense To you,
please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action:
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your
petrol
at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e.boycott BP and
Esso.

Stuart
26-05-04, 10:48 AM
nice idea, WONT WORK

ffs ive just had this email from 2 people. grrrr

im all for cheap fuel, but its the taxman thats screwing us in, not the fuel companies.

walshie
26-05-04, 10:53 AM
Gud point, just thought id put it on as im sat at work doin nothin

Dpnova
26-05-04, 10:54 AM
i use bp :? i cant boycot it as tesco doesnt sell super

Jim
26-05-04, 11:47 AM
This was sent round last year when petrol prices went up. No matter how much action we take prices won't come down.

Jim

Dave
26-05-04, 01:30 PM
this is old news!
was around just before the budget came out the fuel is high because of the arabs and the government being greedy.
as i've been lead to beleive it goes sommant like this:

when the arabs new new bentleys they hold the oil production so the cost of crude oil goes up.

when the government want more cash to get themselves out of debt they stick more tax on fuel as they know public transport is crap and we will all use our cars whatever the cost of petrol, of course we'll moan but we'll still pay it.

Jon_nova1
26-05-04, 04:31 PM
crazy idea but think,

the uk has the most expensive petrol so, you don't buy in the uk

tbh i think that's the only way out, if it's going to a different country every week to getting loads of peeps together to hire a tanker. i'm not saying it's the best idea but something along those lines

jkhilton
26-05-04, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure on the tax implications of filling a tanker, but I'm pretty sure you would have to pay tax as you brought it into the country. Although on the other thread about the drax?? petrol thing, they say you are entitled to a certain amount of petrol without paying the tax (or something along those lines)

Dave
26-05-04, 04:36 PM
i think bulk buting has t be the best way forward.

at work we get about 30,000 lts of diesel every 2 weeks for less than 70p atm 64.58ppl
what is it at the pump atm

jkhilton
26-05-04, 04:41 PM
we'd have to get pretty organised to be buying ?20000 worth of fuel every fortnight!! lol :lol:

would the price difference be big enough to allow for the purchase of a storage tank and I presume licenses for storing the petrol?

DUNOVA.
26-05-04, 06:42 PM
Good idea mate,But it's easyer said than done :cry:

Fester
26-05-04, 06:52 PM
Just vote this government out.

If they pulled 20p off the tax right now it other areas would be subtly increased to cover up the cracks anyway.

They know how much they need to bring in and simply tweak the budget accordingly. Remember the 'tax sweetener' a few years ago? Where is that now? Exactly.

MechaT
28-05-04, 01:55 AM
It's a great idea and would work but this is Britain and we're too complacent to do anything. We rather just sit and moan. (Not that I'm doing anything about it either). Most of the nation can't even be bothered to vote every few years.

One thing though. I'm pretty sure sending chain mail is illegal. Dunno 'bout chain email tho.

Jules
28-05-04, 09:47 AM
Just vote this government out.

Trouble is that even if the Conservatives or Lib Dems get in nothing will change, all politicans are the same just with different names and faces - they all spout rubbish to get elected and then screw us over once in power.
The thing about petrol is that the vast majority of the population have to buy it - so realisticly they could put the tax on it to whatever they want - yes people will demonstrate, people will block fuel depots but we'll still have to buy it or the country will come to a standstill.

Tazzy
28-05-04, 10:32 AM
the government arent going to reduce tax off anything, they would lose too much money, how else are we going to pay for a war which has nothing to do with us?

it would be easier for the motorist to either...

1) cancel road tax completely, and put the price of petrol slightly up, this way, the motorist is paying tax, but through the ammount of mileage they do to make it fair to all, so someone only doing 5k miles a yr isnt paying the same as someone who doe 25k miles a yr

or

2) keep road tax at a fixed price, and reduce the cost of petrol

but either way, the government are going to lose money!