PDA

View Full Version : No sparks from coil or spark plugs!

NOVA'S_RULE!
24-05-04, 10:57 PM
hi

as from my previous posts my engine wont start and i have been told to check for sparks.

i checked for sparks from all the HT leads and the coil and none of them are sparking, what does this mean?

I put some mole grips on the fuel pipe so it didnt flood anymore because it already stinks of petrol

But only a couple of weeks ago the engine started but was running on 2 cylinders.

when i got my m8 to try and start it there was sparks coming from the cable from the battery to the starter and when it turns the engine its really loud and sounds terrible.

rodgerq
24-05-04, 11:06 PM
hi. is your timing belt intact?

what engine is in the car?

rodgerq

NOVA'S_RULE!
24-05-04, 11:14 PM
yes it was perfect then it just buggered up on me.

its a j reg 1.4 luxe

rodgerq
24-05-04, 11:16 PM
so your timingbelt isn;t snapped then? to be sure remove your dizzy cap and get someone to crank the engine over. the rotor arm should turn round.

does the engine turn faster than it used to by any chance?

rodgerq

Adam
24-05-04, 11:29 PM
If there is no power at the main HT lead then the dizzy isn't getting any power, so i don't think the rotor arm would be moving anyway.
Check the wiring to the ignition coil and the plugs on the coil

rodgerq
24-05-04, 11:33 PM
the dizzy doesnt power the rotor arm mate. it takes its drive from the end of the cam. i am tryin to see if his timing belt has snapped as he says its maks a hel of a racket when turning it over!

rodgerq

Adam
24-05-04, 11:39 PM
the dizzy doesnt power the rotor arm mate. it takes its drive from the end of the cam. i am tryin to see if his timing belt has snapped as he says its maks a hel of a racket when turning it over!
rodgerq
Ah see, deffo check the timing/cam belt cus that racketting sound is a sign of a snapped cam belt. Hopefully no permanent engine damage has been caused.

NOVA'S_RULE!
24-05-04, 11:50 PM
I took the dizzy cap off and yes, it moved. The thing that's making the noise is the starter motor turning the crank, but not the actual starter motor making the noise. I've checked wires from coil to the cap and cleaned them, still no effect!

rodgerq
24-05-04, 11:59 PM
ok is the engine a carb engine or injection?

you will need to get a multimeter and with your ignition switched on, check to see you are gettin 12v at the black wire on the coil connection.

rodgerq

NOVA'S_RULE!
25-05-04, 11:18 AM
it's carb and ok ill try that today m8 thanks