PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 spi wont start

nova_172
24-05-04, 09:41 PM
this is how the story goes, wen i floored my car really fast or even revved it quik it wud splutter and die if throttle held down, so talkin 2 this guy at work sed it was my carb, so i took it 2 work and he has a look cleaned it with some carb cleaner and blew air thru all the holes, he then took the fuel pressure regulator valve out and cleaned that and put it bak, got home put it bk on car started up, and started makin that suckin noise wen u run out of petrol and i actually had so, i filled it up 2 days later and it wont start it just chugs a bit, and on lookin in the inlet manifold there is a pool of fuel at the bottom.pls help oh yeah there is afault code, it says its the manifold abosolute pressre sensor, but all hoses r on.

day
24-05-04, 09:52 PM
try bump startin it down a hill/being towed. just what id do before trying too hard to find what could be wrong.

*just what id do. could be very wrong* :D

nova_172
24-05-04, 10:18 PM
i dont fink the injection will bump start

day
24-05-04, 10:25 PM
oh, sorry m8. maybe get it movin, then turnin the key to the start position whilst its being bump started. that mite get some o the fuel moving from the inlet manifold? are all the wires tidy, no grime stopping them making a good contact

Aragorn
24-05-04, 10:50 PM
pull fuse one outta the fuse box and crank the engine over for 20seconds

then replace fuse 1 and try to start it

Matt Nova
25-05-04, 11:50 PM
Is it injection or carbs coz u talk about that bloke cleaning your carb? :?

mikeyredtop
26-05-04, 08:39 AM
oh yeah there is afault code, it says its the manifold abosolute pressre sensor, but all hoses r on.

havent u just answered ur own question?

Dpnova
26-05-04, 08:51 AM

Spi is sort of both, its a carb with an injector on the side

Adam
26-05-04, 09:34 AM

Spi is sort of both, its a carb with an injector on the side

They do look rather similar.

Matt Nova
26-05-04, 10:22 AM
The 1.2 carb has a 5speed box and injection has a 4(sigh). You can see the injection system if you lift the airbox off. They do look rather similar though!

nova_172
26-05-04, 08:46 PM
yeah it just looks like acarb, but has an injector in the middle, cleaning it couldnt have damaged it cud it,it now makes a sqeukin noise wen turning over coming from the engine blok i fink, it doesnt even try 2 start now just fires every now and ven.

Adam
26-05-04, 09:04 PM
The 1.2 carb has a 5speed box and injection has a 4(sigh). You can see the injection system if you lift the airbox off. They do look rather similar though!

I know someone with a MK1 1.2 merit(carb) and that has a 4speed box :lol:
Did you try what Aragorn suggested :?:

nova_172
26-05-04, 09:09 PM
yeah i didtry it a coupl eof times no luck though, thanks 4 the suggestions,ive been tryin different fings and crankin it 4 ages and vers jus a pool of fuel at the bottom of the inlet manifold, and the sqeukin noise is botherin me

Matt Nova
26-05-04, 09:56 PM
What it could be is when you have a old car. Carbon deposits are in the system, then when you clean it, it flushs out all the carbon deposits which previously were blocking holes in system which makes things even worse.
What kind of cleaner was used?

nova_172
26-05-04, 10:09 PM
some shitty parrifin stuff, i think i'll take it off and hav a proper look, thanks

Aragorn
26-05-04, 11:02 PM
ok pull fuse 1, unplug the fuel injector and remove the spark plugs

crank it and see if u get any fuel coming out the plug holes, if so keep cranking till it stops

also open throttle fully while cranking to help clear it out

see what happens

nova_172
27-05-04, 09:10 PM
thanks 4 all the suggestions mate i will hav 2 try it on friday, so i will get bk 2 u.

nutsaboutnovas
29-05-04, 12:48 PM
same thing happened to me on my old 1.4spi..

first thing to check is your timing belt!! sounds strange i know but mine actually SLIPPED :o a few teeth and the car did exactly what your saying yours does.. check that you have a spark on your plugs VERY IMPORTANT if so then i would say that your belt has also slipped.. i couldn't belive it when i looked at mine.. put it back to normal then when i started it chugged a bit cuz of excess fuel in engine..(flooded) then ran fine..

if not and you DONT have a spark then check your High tension circuit this is explained in the haines manual.. be careful though... hurts when things go wrong ha ha

hope this helps.. let us know.. :lol: :wink: