PDA

View Full Version : 1.8L driveshaft problem

robb
24-05-04, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with my o/s driveshaft popping out after a short run up the road.

It will seem to click in fine but when I get back it is about 1/2" out again and dropping oil.

The clip seems fine and there are no problems putting the driveshaft in.

Any suggestions?!?!?!?!

robb
25-05-04, 01:30 PM
Nobody got any suggestions??

Any 2.0l drivers got any suggestions about geometry of the engine in the mounts, do I need to do the rear mount mod to correct engine geometry??

And just for the info, it is a MK1 cav 1.8 running through a 1.2flair box, using std mounts (front o/s has been relocated to fit).

Would enjoy using this car on the weekend to go on holiday for my birthday so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

mark_GSi
25-05-04, 02:43 PM
u sing the 1800 with a 1200 box? :?:

y not use the box that come with the lump?

f16?

that might be the prob?

_JH_
25-05-04, 10:31 PM
Have you tried a new clip?

Is a mk1 1800 cav engine a small block or does the box fit anyway due to a smaller flywheel or something?

robb
26-05-04, 09:30 AM
Erm,

I'm not really sure, I think it is the big block as there seems to be less space around it but not sure exactly.

As for using the f16 box, I bought the shell, engine and box for ?70 and the box that was on it was the 1.2 box so I didn't complain.

Yes I did try a newer clip, vaux dealers are about 15 miles away so I tried one that I knew worked from another driveshaft. Ended up dropping two boxes and refitting good one on good car last night in 5 hours! not bad.

Any way it's all good now and I'm going for an MOT later.

Wish me luck!!

robb
26-05-04, 09:54 AM
F******************************CK :cry:

It's come out, just noticed a litre of oil all over my works car park!!

Bollo*********

sorry I will calm down a bit soon.

Any suggestions now, I will still get the MOT just have to pop it back in before I go in there and hope it stays.

Is it possibly the geometry of the box now that it is hooked to a 1.8?

It could be full lock that is doing it just pulling it that bit too far or the boots being tight not letting it flex in and out on knuckle joint.

I gonna put it back in and try and budge boot to free some pressure off it.