PDA

View Full Version : engine wont start HELP!!

NOVA'S_RULE!
23-05-04, 08:46 PM
Hi ppl

My engine will not start :evil: at all the starter turns it but will not even attempt to start.i thought it was the spark plugs so i changed them, and it still dunt work, some m8's av sed that it could be my dizzy cap thats messed up and it's not getting the sparks properly, the battery is fine and charged.

Could you please help and think what else it could be and if its a big problem to fix cos i know just about nothin to do wi engines cos i am panel beater never liked workin wi engines :!:

Thanks
andy :D

NOVA'S_RULE!
23-05-04, 08:47 PM
oh yeh its a j reg 1.4 luxe if you need to know that.

Adam
23-05-04, 09:06 PM
Remove the lead and plug, hold it with a insulating tool(i.e glove,LOL) hold the end about an inch from the engine block and then have someone try to start the car. If it produces a nice strong spark then you know it is producing spark so the coil/battery etc is fine. Have you got petrol in,is the fuel pump working etc.
If there is no spark produced then check all leads are connected securely, the battery is fully charged and connected, basically just check the wiring from the dizzy/coil.

NOVA'S_RULE!
23-05-04, 09:15 PM
it started a couple of weeks ago but it was only runnin on 2 valves not 4 so either the spark plugs were messed up which i think i have fixed cos sum1 told me the positions to put them in.do you know which way they go???

i was told that when you look at the dizzy cap from the o/s/f wing you have 5 points and the middle is for the coil
and starting from the top right going anti-clockwise you have 1,3,4,2 and the spark plugs started from l to r you had 4,3,2,1 is this right.

i think the fuel pump is working cos it stinks of petrol.

Aragorn
23-05-04, 10:07 PM
if its sparking properly:

is it carb or injection

it could just be totally flooded...

if its carb then clamp the fuel line before the pump mounted on the engine with summat like a pair of mole grips...
if its injection pull fuse 1 for the fuel pump...

...then open throttle all the way and crank it over for 20seconds or so

it might fire a bit towards the end but might not - once uve done that release grips or replace fuse and try and start it with wide open throttle - if it still dont work i'd suggest a compression test

Riggy
23-05-04, 10:43 PM
and the spark plugs started from l to r you had 4,3,2,1 is this right.

nah mate from left to right it 1234

NOVA'S_RULE!
24-05-04, 01:31 PM
cheers riggy 4 that!
its a carb so ill try that then m8

cheers lads for the help!