PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 8v engine transplant

-tucny-
22-05-04, 04:07 PM
im thinking about sticking a 1.8 8v lump in. does anyone know weather itll fit on the exsiting mounts.

Big Box
22-05-04, 11:54 PM
It is the same as the 2.0 8v, and so the mounts are slightly different to your exixting ones. Someone will need to confirm this, but the kit you can buy to fit the 2.0 should do the trick. But if you're doing that u may aswell fit a 2.0? Unless you've already got the engine!

Austin_Nova16
23-05-04, 12:29 AM
look at the 2ltr 8valve post :)

robb
25-05-04, 02:59 PM
Hi mate....

I have just finished building a 1.8 8v nova using an old cavvy MK1 lump.

I had the shell after someone had stripped it for rallying but never used it, so I had to refit everything!!! The o/s mount was re welded a bit further down to fit, air box was modified to fit in front of the bulkhead and there was about 2in of space made for the alternator.

There is not much space to fiddle with wires and pipes once all together, looks like it should be in there and fills the bay better!!

They are a vast improvement in power and torque from a 1.4. I will be fitting a 2.0 when insurance lets me or working on the engine...cams, porting, compression ratios and then how to shove fuel into it!!

Let us know how you get on.....

BTW whereabouts are you?

rodgerq
26-05-04, 12:07 AM
gget a 2ltr 8v at least. SEH 130bhp one fo course, no point in putting in the 115 bhp one. the 1.8 8v engine will only be makin circa 110 bhp or thereabouts so it hardly seems worth all that extrra hassle of a big block conversion for the sake of 10bhp(over a small block 1.6 nova engine conversion, i mean)

rodgerq

robb
26-05-04, 09:19 AM
If you have no engine to go in and money available then get a 2.0.

I had my shell (recent respray, PI lowering kit and most of bits still on there), engine and box for ?70.

So my 1.8 8v cost me ?450 after buying bits and GSi interior!

Looks like a ?900 nova at the mo!

Big Box
26-05-04, 02:42 PM
If you have no engine to go in and money available then get a 2.0.

I had my shell (recent respray, PI lowering kit and most of bits still on there), engine and box for ?70.

So my 1.8 8v cost me ?450 after buying bits and GSi interior!

Looks like a ?900 nova at the mo!

So when are you gonna put some pics up of this motor?

robb
26-05-04, 03:02 PM
I will do them on the weekend as I am taking it to the Gower, hopefully it will stay sunny and I can get some good pics next to sea and sand dunes and stuff. I really should take my old nova off now though, looks sh*te.

I am having some problems though trying to get the long driveshaft to stay in!! (see other posts)