PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Roads........

dan_mk1
19-05-04, 11:53 PM
Saw an article in 'ride' magazine a few months back where they had the best places to ride in england....same principle with us lot i guess??

wheres ya favorite road/area and why?

i cant think of mine now, half asleep, lol

nova m@rk
20-05-04, 12:45 AM
the rabbit run by me starts at the lights the bottom of himley road
then goes for about a mile then turn right and it continues for
about 4 or 5 miles and the best thing its a country road that fans out
into a dual-caridgeway then back to a country road all at 60 legalaly
its one of those roads that makes everyone want to go faster

Will
20-05-04, 08:34 AM
the A5 downhill towards little chef :lol: :lol: :lol:

the speed test route, at college when every1 had 1.0 and 1.2 it was fun to get them to read 115mpg etc downhill :D

wisewood
20-05-04, 08:38 AM
you sure you mean miles per gallon Will? :lol:

My favorite road used to be Woodhead pass from Sheffield to Manchester, but since the most fun bit has been filled with speed cameras its just not fun anymore. Not really got a favorite at the moment... although my driveway is exciting when i get home from work.

Jim
20-05-04, 08:54 AM
CP's "private" test strip :D

The main roads in Milton Keynes are good fun. 60mph speed limit, with the majority of them being dual carraigeways.

Theres the A509 and A508 and I drive up the A523/52 on regular occasions and all are nice roads, although the A523 has a fair number of speed cameras on it.

Jim

badnova
20-05-04, 08:57 AM
a507 from bedford is fun for me

Dpnova
20-05-04, 09:28 AM
there a few by me but thers no point saying them as no one will know where they are

Some good twisty roads around me work which are fun

James1
20-05-04, 09:55 AM
The B526 back way to Milton Keynes to northampton. Really good high speed stuff. Or there is a little back road behind creaton in Northampton allways good at high speed(hey paul :twisted: ) Been up to the Isle of mull to watch some rallying they have some of the best roads.

Dave
20-05-04, 10:23 AM
''private'' A14 between cambridge & newmarket
no cameras nice long straights :D

Barn
20-05-04, 11:03 AM
loads of good roads not far from me...

country lanes, all 60mph stuff ( :lol: ) loads of narrow twisting roads, you know the ones that are two way but only have enough room for one car and there are laybys along the way for people to pull into, great.

Headlights on full beam, music down, raised hedges each side of the road, I swear it makes you think you are a rally driver, haha

Then there are the dual carriageways which are good also (got blown by a RS Turbo yesterday as it goes) lol, well he was behind me from 0mph up til about 55mph then he undertook me like a good 'un, lol

Mark T
20-05-04, 11:14 AM
I have a couple of favourites, actually about 4 or 5.

B4000 Lambourne-Shrivenham, Fast with long straights, sweeping corners, smooth tarmac and perfect visiblity. Loved by many bikers!

B4507 Wantage-Swindon, tight testing off-camber corners, fantastic scenery (White Horse Hill etc) and crosses many other quality roads.

A338 Wantage-Hungerford, fast road and almost all of it can be done above the speed limit.

B4494 Wantage-Newbury, complex series of twisty bends, blind corners, high banks, another one capeable of driving the whole road above the speed limit. I can drive this one from Newbury to Wantage in under 10 minutes and it is just over 13 miles

As usuall these are all great untill you get stuck behind someone! :x :x

Jules
20-05-04, 11:44 AM
When I'm leaving work - A14 from Felixstowe to Ipswich!!
:lol:

DUNOVA.
20-05-04, 11:59 AM
On my way home at night i have a totally clear road from colchester town centre to where i live it's all country road

http://img31.photobucket.com/albums/v93/dunova/mersea_road.gif

The thick green line is the road :roll:

Will
20-05-04, 12:51 PM
The B526 back way to Milton Keynes to northampton. Really good high speed stuff. Or there is a little back road behind creaton in Northampton allways good at high speed(hey paul :twisted: ) Been up to the Isle of mull to watch some rallying they have some of the best roads.

thats the route to take instead of the M1 brings you out at the end of the dual A5 bit yes?

well that road has regular speed checks on it and 3 speed cameras! :D

badnova
20-05-04, 12:57 PM
well that road has regular speed checks on it and 3 speed cameras! :D

you aiont been caught on it have you :D

James1
20-05-04, 02:14 PM
no will i think you are thinking about the A508. I mean the road that takes you from northampton and you can get the wolverton and newpost pagnel on. It goes through hackleton.

cooper_nova
20-05-04, 02:16 PM
one of my favorite road/roads has to b the m3(from the m25) onto the a303 to sailsbury, u've got laods of straights and fast sweeping corners, and some slowish twisty stuff too and most of it is 60 or 70mph stuff too
:lol:

robb
20-05-04, 02:49 PM
If you are ever in the most beautiful parts of the UK....Thw Wye Valley nr Monmouth and Chepstow then try these roads out:

The one to Tesco (Chepstow) has two options, both just as good. Also one has a tight twisty bit through Wooded areas.

Raglan to Usk is amazing, very tricky corners and hilly up and down.

Usk to Home is also good, long roads with hills and a new stretch of Tarmac :D

http://www.tms-stores.com/drivemap.jpg

Give me a PM or buzz on 07736546650 if you are in the area, it would be nice to meet other people with Novas and go for a drive as they are a bit rare around here (well std ones are barely around!)

Cheers

dan_mk1
20-05-04, 03:33 PM
must say i like the a3, from kingston to pourtsmouth, pourtsmouth end is good for top speed runs.... :wink: :D

Dpnova
20-05-04, 03:38 PM
thats a bit of a trek mate

dan_mk1
20-05-04, 04:10 PM
45mins mate :wink:

Stuart
20-05-04, 04:24 PM
the roads to Cp's place :D

A1198 - Road to cambridge Wimpole hall run. class with manic camber changes and gravel (jim your car should be taken down there lol)

most roads west of the A1198 north to St neots and down to baldock (kinda rectangle)

all roads south of royston either side of the A10, there is one strecth to nuthamstead about 1/4 mile long with 10 S bends, amazing at nite.

all country roads out of newmarket to haverhill, burwell, exning and that whole area.

sme stuff round newquay but a bit more dangerous than most as they have "cornish hedges" which will bite back hard if you mess up lol

hmm thats most of my roads that i know done lol

Snowface
20-05-04, 06:18 PM
here in devon most of the roads are B roads or single track roads. the hedges are real high and being 3 miles from the atlantic ocean there are a lot of valleys and steep hills and several hairpin bends.

Its wicked when driving at night. There is actually a rally stage here once a year that goes right by my yard gate.

I live an hour from the nearest motorway and 90 minutes to the nearest City (Exeter). So u could say i live in the sticks a bit.

benji
20-05-04, 06:31 PM
there's a short road near me that has about 5 90 deg bends on in with short straights in between the it changes to a wide straight for about half a mile, with a island at the end. that's where i got to test any mods i've done. another good one near me is from duffield to wirksworth, it's about 12 miles long and has some fantastic bends on it.

epo
20-05-04, 06:35 PM
gotta be the m181 4 me
and a18 very striaght good laugh

Mel
20-05-04, 08:41 PM
i used to love the A6003, but since the buggers changed it to 50mph and put regular speed traps about, its no fun anymore :(

I do like the A14, from Kettering to Northampton turn off (or W'borough) and A43 to Northampton :D

The A508/9 on the way to MK is a nice run.

But my all time favourite has to be country roads round here. U can do 60mph comfortably, get lost, but always seem to find ur way out of it eventually :lol: its great fun when the road is bumpy like hell and when ur lowered car bounces along like its on hydraulics :lol:

epo
20-05-04, 10:18 PM
god i hate bumpy roads avoid em like the plauge does ma head in car bouncin around

Mel
20-05-04, 10:25 PM
lol i love it. u get used to it round here, everywhere u go its bumpy or got massive speed bumps, so u cant really avoid it.

Breeny
20-05-04, 11:34 PM
In the Bmw... the M25 at 2am on the way back from Southers.. :lol:

In the Nova.. err any road without any bumps or speed cameras

CP
20-05-04, 11:35 PM
B645 St Neots - Higham ferrers. Bike track

badnova
20-05-04, 11:35 PM
there seem to be more and more speed bumps all over the place nower days

Stuart
20-05-04, 11:54 PM
ooooooh yes the B645 is class :d

badnova
20-05-04, 11:55 PM
what is it class for

Cheese
21-05-04, 01:18 AM
there's a short road near me that has about 5 90 deg bends on in with short straights in between the it changes to a wide straight for about half a mile, with a island at the end. that's where i got to test any mods i've done. another good one near me is from duffield to wirksworth, it's about 12 miles long and has some fantastic bends on it.

Seconded! Thats a top road! :D

Dont know the number but the road from Uttoxeter to Stafford is pretty cool too!

Stuart
21-05-04, 09:35 AM
its class becuase in a fast car its like a roller coaster with long sweeping bends, tight bends etc.

oh yeah also the roads in the Forrest (in wales dan ;) lol ) of dean. WOW dans taken me round them at some mentalist speeds before.

badnova
21-05-04, 09:39 AM
long, bumper , curving road are the best wiht some straights trown in

benji
21-05-04, 05:05 PM
Dont know the number but the road from Uttoxeter to Stafford is pretty cool too!

when we re-furbed a co-op in stafford i drove that road twice a night in a reno savanna 2.1 TD. it was ace, then on to the a50 and did 120 all the way home every morning at 4am. and that was with 4 in the car and a boot full of tool's. the record time was 20mins from the island in stafford by the police station to chellaston. that was with me driving. they wouldn't let me drive home after that because they were all too wide awake to go too sleep when they go in. :D

Philsutton
21-05-04, 05:15 PM
theres a nice twisty lane at the end of the road, is rather a good on as i can get 90 round the twisty bits and its quite tight corners. Its about the only road where my car doesnt bounce off the road. Everyone else who goes down there seems to crash ah well.