PDA

View Full Version : Pressure build up/Blocked pipe? (PIC)

Gazza14SR
19-05-04, 10:25 PM
http://uploader.co.uk/images/8b3aa91b157cf6138d34d4153bfe457e.jpg

To release the pressure in the pipe i open up the water tank and it rises with all brown sludge.

Been told that:

a) air in the system
b) blocked rad, needs flushing

Any other opinions/suggestions?

Cheers

Gazza

Paul
19-05-04, 10:37 PM
Have you tried them two suggestions yet? Flushing through the system is very easy. Unscrew jubille clip, by header tank, get hose, ram it in pipe, turn it on, and aim the water hose thats disconnected into a bucket or similar. keep hose running until all the shit appears as though its gone.

Gazza14SR
19-05-04, 11:06 PM
Have you tried them two suggestions yet? Flushing through the system is very easy. Unscrew jubille clip, by header tank, get hose, ram it in pipe, turn it on, and aim the water hose thats disconnected into a bucket or similar. keep hose running until all the s**t appears as though its gone.

Nah not yet mate. Will do it tomorrow as I'm off work.

Do you mean the pipe that comes from the rad to the header tank or the one on the left hand side of the tank near the bottom? Also, recommend any specific flush or will water do the trick?

Cheers

rgv_stu
20-05-04, 09:20 AM
could be a knackered pipe or the expantion tank cap not operating

mikeyredtop
20-05-04, 09:53 AM
its ur headgasket 100% sure, pressurising ur water side of things, explains the sludge..

Adam
20-05-04, 11:07 AM
its ur headgasket 100% sure, pressurising ur water side of things, explains the sludge..

Thats what your car has the symptoms of, sludge in header tank(oil mixing with water), and pressurised pipes due to air escaping through the head gasket.
Check the gasket.

benji
20-05-04, 06:41 PM
who sold you the engine??

Gazza14SR
20-05-04, 06:57 PM
Flushed it out today, been driving it for afew hours and the water is still clean but pipe is same baloon shape.

Could it be that cuz the pipe has expanded so much that it'll need replacing as its stretched?

I took the cap off the tank and i think the spring inside it is f00ked, i didnt even know there was anything in there. Whats its purpose/importance?

If i change the cap & pipe and its still expanding i might aswell do the head gasket. There is not no oil around the bottom end though, when my last head gasket went on the 1.4 that was all around the bottom end opposite exhuast manifold.

Ben, Got engine from Just Novas. If it is the head gasket ill be extremely p!ssed off considering how much i paid for it. Its not like ive even driven it hard either.

Thanks for help.

Gaz

benji
20-05-04, 07:28 PM
Flushed it out today, been driving it for afew hours and the water is still clean but pipe is same baloon shape.

Could it be that cuz the pipe has expanded so much that it'll need replacing as its stretched?

I took the cap off the tank and i think the spring inside it is f00ked, i didnt even know there was anything in there. Whats its purpose/importance?

If i change the cap & pipe and its still expanding i might aswell do the head gasket. There is not no oil around the bottom end though, when my last head gasket went on the 1.4 that was all around the bottom end opposite exhuast manifold.

Ben, Got engine from Just Novas. If it is the head gasket ill be extremely p!ssed off considering how much i paid for it. Its not like ive even driven it hard either.

Thanks for help.

Gaz

there's your problem

Gazza14SR
21-05-04, 12:36 AM

Thanks for help.

Gaz

there's your problem

Heard good/bad things about them before. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I have not noticed a power decrease from how i have been driving it and been doing 50+ miles aday in it.

Also, there is no mayo on the oil cap.

1 more thing. Before i took my last engine out i was also having the same problem so it could be something to do with the water system as its followed engines. It did it on my SR for months but never dropped in power and in all fairness, that engine took a hammering :oops:

Gaz

_JH_
21-05-04, 12:50 AM
Just because there is no oil water mix doesn't mean its not your headgasket. pressure from the combustion chamber could be seeping into the water ways. head gaskets don't have to have oil in water, water in oil, excessive pressure in coolant, oil leaking from block, water leaking from block etc etc all at once to be on the way out.

novax
21-05-04, 08:30 AM
If Just Novas sold you the engine then you need to talk to them but if all they did was pull it out of a scrapper and never touched it....... The head gasket can't really be blamed on them.

On the other hand I would have put a new waterpump and head gasket on it before it went in. Just so it was a good running.

rgv_stu
21-05-04, 09:13 AM
just change the pipe and the cap
then see what happens
ive had the pipe that bolts to the inlet manifold blow like a baloon and all that was, was the pipe had split between its layers .

Gazza14SR
21-05-04, 02:04 PM
New water pump was fitted when the engine was being fitted.

Spoke to JustNovas and he apologiesed but said the only thing he could do is fit a new headgasket at a discount price. (?70)

Goona go get a new pipe and cap now.

mark_GSi
21-05-04, 03:07 PM
just novas are SHITE m8

i sent my nova their for them to help me with the wiring on my 1600

went it come back the seats were shit up BIG time with oil, there was a MASSIVE scratch on 1 of m7 17's and oily hand prints on my brake drum

i swear to this day that they took my 17's off to try on another nova, they said they never, would say that though

got them to redo the wheel and clean my seats for FREE!!!!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

mark_GSi
21-05-04, 03:08 PM
at the end of the day it just a scrap yard, nothing else

benji
21-05-04, 05:19 PM
if you need to do the head gasket then do it yourself, it will becheaper than just nova's even with a discount

Gazza14SR
21-05-04, 05:37 PM
SORTED!!!!

Drained the system, fitted new pipe and header tank cap and done nearly 80 miles with out the pipe expanding at all!

The sludge must of been from the previous engine or something as it wasnt drained out then.

I'll do afew hundred miles over the weekend and see how it goes and if any sludge occurs, Im quite confident though:D

Thanks