PDA

View Full Version : pc trouble.

benji
19-05-04, 08:20 PM
can anyone help me out?? i'm having trouble with outlook express. it doesn't let me send or recive mail. sometime's it work's but most of the time it just say's it's 'authorising' and then say's it's timed out. i am with ntl broardband and the internetis fine it's just e-mail that is a problem. i have norton internet suite (virus and firewall)

can anyone help

cheers

ben.

novalew
19-05-04, 08:43 PM
im trying to rectify it as we speak i will let u know

is yours asking for a password?

Jules
19-05-04, 11:19 PM
Probably a problem with NTL - I'm on a 1MB NTL line and mine's been doing the same for the last 3 days - sometimes it works though.

Jordi
19-05-04, 11:27 PM
BY does same now n again, its the cable services. Shit for email sadly...

badnova
19-05-04, 11:31 PM
they just updates there email sytem a month back
since then it has been playing up
mine does exacly the same

Will
20-05-04, 12:00 AM
I'm on a 1MB NTL line

which is prob running at 128k

pmsl we did speed tests on our 1mb line last yr at uni and at peek time it ran slower than a dialup because everyone got it the local network couldnt cope! haha

ntl are crap, 1mb ADSL from september

even at home with my rents the 600k runs at like 380k mostly

benji
20-05-04, 12:17 AM
it is the last 3 days i've been having probs. i've got the middle package(600mb??) and the anytime phone pack. it cost ?35 a month if you get them seperate it's ?25 each

Jules
20-05-04, 11:27 AM
I'm on a 1MB NTL line

which is prob running at 128k

pmsl we did speed tests on our 1mb line last yr at uni and at peek time it ran slower than a dialup because everyone got it the local network couldnt cope! haha

ntl are crap, 1mb ADSL from september

even at home with my rents the 600k runs at like 380k mostly

Doesn't bloody wanna be!!
Although I get DL speeds of upto approx 120kb/s depending on the source so I'm happy enough with that.
I heard the NTL (And the rest of BB service providers) are upgrading people to higher speeds for free (or a minimum cost) as part of a broadband war currently going on between the providers - EG Blueyonder will upgrade 512k people to 1MB, NTL are doing a 1.5MB line for ?2 a month more than the 1MB line etc etc

Jordi
20-05-04, 12:08 PM
Just to expand and correct Jules there,

Blueyonder customers recieve half there subsription speed upgrade from may onwards for FREE.

thefore 512k = 768k, 1mb = 1.5mb, 2mb = 3mb.

I have tested my line with Blueyonder many times, april i got 1020kb/sec, its now upgrade time and i get 1498kb/sec line speed.

And lets face it, NTL suck! 1gb download limit a day or ur breachin there services.

Jules
20-05-04, 12:46 PM
Just to expand and correct Jules there,

Blueyonder customers recieve half there subsription speed upgrade from may onwards for FREE.

thefore 512k = 768k, 1mb = 1.5mb, 2mb = 3mb.

I have tested my line with Blueyonder many times, april i got 1020kb/sec, its now upgrade time and i get 1498kb/sec line speed.

And lets face it, NTL suck! 1gb download limit a day or ur breachin there services.

I knew it was something like that, but NTL and BT are going to follow suit and maybe even better it (so I've heard anyway).

Also, I've never had anything from NTL about breaching the 1GB limit - and I've done it plenty of times I imagine!!
And that's something that will be got rid of when the new packages are released (again - so I've heard) - uncapped use.

Will
20-05-04, 12:49 PM
why complain at 1GB a day? thats loads i wudnt complain ive come very close to that that many times i think

Jules
20-05-04, 12:57 PM
An average film is 700MB, a PC game is also about 700MB per CD, an average mp3 album is about 100MB, a GB is only 1024MB...............

I play a lot of online games, and the amount of data sent and recieve in order to play is quite a lot (you'd be surprised) which is how I get close to the limits, depending on if I've DL'ed any demos, movie trailers or whatever aswell that day.

I can see why people complain though, there's no reason to have a cap on how much data can be downloaded, when NTL first came out it was advertised as "unlimited use" - then they introduced the cap and people were (rightly) up in arms, now it looks like it's going back to unlimited use.

Jules
20-05-04, 01:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3646825.stm

Knew I had the news link somewhere.....
:D

badnova
20-05-04, 01:17 PM
so when is this liky to happen

epo
20-05-04, 07:29 PM
can anyone help me out?? i'm having trouble with outlook express. it doesn't let me send or recive mail. sometime's it work's but most of the time it just say's it's 'authorising' and then say's it's timed out. i am with ntl broardband and the internetis fine it's just e-mail that is a problem. i have norton internet suite (virus and firewall)

can anyone help

cheers

ben.

me and r lass have the same probs to and were on ntl also

benji
20-05-04, 10:48 PM
seem's to have cleared up now. it was probably at ntl's end.