PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank

hasek-na
19-05-04, 08:07 PM
hey everyone.....just wondering if this is normal :?

Ive got a mk1 and i find that 10 quid of petrol makes the fuel gage go to the top so im scared to put more in :? also, well i do race around a lot and quick but it seems to be pissin away petrol like 10 quid a day and its starting to hurt my wallet :( so i was wunderin if this is normal.....

p.s its 4 star converted to unleaded

Dpnova
19-05-04, 08:10 PM
I had a 4 star converted to unleaded and the fuel consumption was fine, its hurting your wallet because your ragging it :wink:

novalew
19-05-04, 08:16 PM
regarding filling it up, just fill it till the fuel pump cuts out

benji
19-05-04, 08:24 PM
i usually put 30-32 litre's in when i fill up, pretty constant aswell. i bet if i tried to leave 10 litres in the tank i'd never be able to

cooper_nova
19-05-04, 08:41 PM
mine takes round about ?30 from empty to full!!
:lol:

Adam
19-05-04, 08:45 PM

Ive got a mk1 and i find that 10 quid of petrol makes the fuel gage go to the top so im scared to put more in :? also, well i do race around a lot and quick but it seems to be p**s away petrol like 10 quid a day and its starting to hurt my wallet :( so i was wunderin if this is normal.....

On my dads car its the same, it ain't a Nova but it is supposed to hold 45 litres(i think) and yet he puts 10quid in and the fuel guage goes from less than a 1/4 to nearly full. Is it a faulty sender or summit.
hhhmmmm :?:

novalew
19-05-04, 08:46 PM
im sure that i read that early novas have fuel gauge problems, i read it in a guide to buying or something

Adam
19-05-04, 08:49 PM
im sure that i read that early novas have fuel gauge problems, i read it in a guide to buying or something
Yeah they do, but my dads car ain't a Nova.

novalew
19-05-04, 08:50 PM
mmm maybe its just age kickin in

benji
20-05-04, 12:18 AM
mine takes closer to ?40 for a full tamk (optimax)

wisewood
20-05-04, 08:32 AM
Thats because Optimax is more expensive... the fuel it holds is still the same.

hasek-na ... you shouldnt be able to see how full th fuel tank is while filling it up coz you're supposed to have your engine off and ignition off in case of sparks etc blowing the petrol station to pieces. When you fill up the car, as was said earlier just keep filling until it stops. From the Empty mark on the guage to being full this will take at least ?20 and more likely to be closer to ?30.

If you are managing to use about ?10 worth of fuel per day, you're either driving 100 miles per day, which would be about right for the use of ?10 ... and if you're not driving that sort of distance, you are either thrashing the pants off it everywhere you go, or you simply dont know what your gears are for and are driving everywhere in first and second.

Jules
20-05-04, 11:32 AM

Ive got a mk1 and i find that 10 quid of petrol makes the fuel gage go to the top so im scared to put more in :? also, well i do race around a lot and quick but it seems to be p**s away petrol like 10 quid a day and its starting to hurt my wallet :( so i was wunderin if this is normal.....

What engine is it? You've told us it's a MK1 but not anything about the engine - my old MK1 had a 1.6 GTE engine with twin carbs, and even if I gave them a handfull it'd never get through ?10 of fuel in a day!!
If your engine is fed by a carb as opposed to injection (Which I expect it is) then it might be worth getting it looked at because it might be running rich, also if it has a choke make sure that's not sticking on as that'll drink petrol.

hasek-na
20-05-04, 06:36 PM
its a 1.2 and yea i think the "thrashing the pants of it" option sounds about right.......but ive only bin driving it a week i gess ill slow down sound wen the novelty wears off.

I do have the engine off wen filling up its just the first time i put sum in i thort, ah a 10ner'll do and the gage went to full so thats all i put in now......

about filling til it stops is that because theres a sencer in the fuel pump that makes it stop?

hasek-na
20-05-04, 06:39 PM
ive done 500 miles in the last week and a half

Snowface
20-05-04, 10:15 PM
bp ultimate has shot up from 83.9 - 88.9 down here. I was like :o .