PDA

View Full Version : Buying Nova's

CooperA
19-05-04, 07:32 PM
Hey I'm new :)

I'm buying a Nova soon hopefully as my first car with sight to join a cruise crew :twisted:

Can you guys give me any tip what to look for when buying a Nova, e.g. Rust etc...

What should I really look out etc etc...

Cheers,

Coop

MechaT
19-05-04, 08:06 PM
Have a look at this guide:

http://www.vauxhallnova.4t.com/whats_new.html
Hope my link works this time.
I'm sure other people here will have more detail to add to this.
Good luck m8

frog_southampton
19-05-04, 08:24 PM
if buying a nova wiv faulty auto choke on SR...

is that hard 2 change?

car revs at bout 6k ?

rodgerq
21-05-04, 12:55 AM
frog, ditch the carb and put a weber twin choke on mate.

cooper, when looin at a nova these are the main areas to check for rust, and check them well. we'll start at front and work back

1. under bonnet look at where the wings meet the slam panel. these usual rust as the ater runs down the wing and settles here.

2. check the bottom cross member for holes etc incase a leaky rad has caused a vuild up of water causing rust.

3. check all inner wings and suspension turrets for holes etc. ifpossible take a magnet and make sure everything is metal and filler.

4. check the battery tray as water gets in here aswell and rusts. also chedk up under the the pedal box inside the car as this is the under side of the battery tray and can reveal rust that has maybe been covered up on the outside.

4. on the front inner arches check inner arches especially at the rear side of them(ie side closest to the rear of the car) have a poke about.

5. check sills and underside of car, bottom of the doors can be really bad, look on the inside and outside of the doors at the bottom. make sure the doors open and close properly and all line up good.

6. rear arches are prone to rusting, again check for filler using magnet. heck all the inner arches behinf the rear wheels especialy behing the struts as these are prone to rusting. as is around the area of the filler cap.

check both inside and outsode edges of tailgate as water collects in them and rusts from inside out. inside the boot look at the rear corners and in the spare wheel well. looka rounf where the chassis leg joins the actaull body aswell inside the car and underneath it. give the towing eye a good tug to see if its not rusted off.

check all numbers macth up with the chassis and the log book aswell

hope this helps

rodgerq.

badnova
21-05-04, 01:02 AM
seems a far help guide there
i would say they are the most comon 1`s