PDA

View Full Version : >>> calling all 1600t owners....

Stanton
18-05-04, 11:01 PM
not sure how many of us there are but if u cud all pm me i need to probe ure heads (not as horrific as it sounds :lol: )

cheers guys.......

Stanton
19-05-04, 01:03 PM
no one- :cry:

looks like im the onli one then.............. :D

cmatty
19-05-04, 03:16 PM
What do u need help with?

Jim
19-05-04, 04:30 PM
no one- :cry:

looks like im the onli one then.............. :D

Ryan, youre not the only one, but you may have to wait more than 2 hours before someone replies :roll: :wink:

Jim

Stanton
19-05-04, 04:31 PM
Ryan, youre not the only one, but you may have to wait more than 2 hours before someone replies

Jim

lmfao :lol:

whooops :o

bit eager was that! :lol:

Stanton
19-05-04, 04:33 PM
cmatty Posted:

What do u need help with?

no so much help m8 - what each individual has done - power/tourque curves, how it drives, reliability......general ownership experence reli.

jus doin me homework on it cos i want to do the conversion pro-par

cmatty
19-05-04, 06:18 PM
Power wise I would say that Courtenay's quote of 150bhp from their conversion is unrealistic. Mine was turbod by Courtenay and it had lots of torque from low revs. It was efforless to drive, I just put my foot down and it went. I say 'was' because the pressure switch 'management' used on mine became faulty and the engine started to run lean. Now I have low compression on all four cylinders (70psi on cylinder two!!!!).

DONT bother with fifth injectors or pressure switches. If you want to turbo your 1600 properly you will need a standalone ecu. NovaNeil fitted DTA management on his 1600 turbo and the results speak for themselves, 180bhp and 180 lb/ft I think.

Stanton
19-05-04, 06:50 PM
DONT bother with fifth injectors or pressure switches

not intending to....i plan to do this properly, proper mapping, big injectors

a 'proper' 16t

jus wonder what has been done before. what pistons did nova neil use?

Paul
19-05-04, 10:12 PM
Mahle I think, and it was bored out to 1650 i do beleive?

cmatty
19-05-04, 10:30 PM
He used mahle 1650 pistons. I am saving for forged low compression pistons ?600 a set I believe.

Gazza14SR
19-05-04, 11:11 PM
I know absolutely nothing on turbos, but for reliability wise, Neil drives from conventry to Derby there and back nearly every day of the week for work so i guess it must be rather reliable :?

Stanton
19-05-04, 11:43 PM
He used mahle 1650 pistons. I am saving for forged low compression pistons ?600 a set I believe.

from??

i will be doin the same but am searching for a car with the same sized pistons as a 1600 or poss a 1650 as this wud mean cheaper pistons - off the shelf opposed to custom jobbies.

were novaneils custom>?

are they low comp, and info on the compression ratio? and what gasket?

dan_mk1
19-05-04, 11:50 PM
pm neil?

Jim
20-05-04, 08:56 AM
Ryan, not being funny or wanting to stir up another argument, but you work at Regal and they have produced a number of turbo conversions for cars, so why not ask them?

Jim

NovaNeil
20-05-04, 12:29 PM
Hello,
Yes mine started out as a Courtenay conversion, but I had reliablity problems because of that Dam pressure switch cmatty was talking about. I blew the engine 3 times on that setup, because of lean running.

I now run DTA as mentioned.... But be warned its not cheap! :( And my engine required lots of custom/one off bits to get it to where it is today.

At present mine is running down on power... (nothing to do with the Turbo Setup) But when on full song it had 181bhp and 185lb's ft torque, its is awesome to drive, very smooth with enough go to nail all but the quickest of cars. Reliablity is fine.... and I think thats down to having a good map. I use standard Mahle Pistons with a decompression plate. This is fine up to 14PSi (which is what I run) but i've been reliably informed anymore and it will start popping head gaskets and effect reliablity. I am confident the engine has more left to go for sure. By the end of the year I hope to have low compression pistons (?680 custom made by Accralite as no one sells them off the shelf.... i've looked everywhere! :evil: ). Then I can run up to 20PSi (Obviously this has not been tested yet, but from researching other vehicles Turbo conversions in a similar spec this is what we think we'll be able to run). And the predictions are a comfortable 200bhp+ Then she'll really fly! :twisted: :D

Neil

NovaNeil
20-05-04, 12:31 PM
P.S: Look at my feature for the full engine spec.....

http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=769

dhdev (Oli)
20-05-04, 01:46 PM
can't run anymore than 14psi without reliability problems? don't you mean you can't run without reliability problems!!! it's gonna take more than 200bhp to make it fly neil, especially with all that I.C.E.

Stanton
20-05-04, 05:55 PM
Jim PostedRyan, not being funny or wanting to stir up another argument, but you work at Regal and they have produced a number of turbo conversions for cars, so why not ask them?

Jim

understand your point exacty jim but as ever evry one has thier own ideas on the subject, i wanted the opinions of people who actually live with the cars day to day all day - the only people who know this are the owners

also only using the info under my nose would be silly, i may later discard the info thrown up in this post if it is useless to me but i am trying to gather as much info as possible from as many sources as possible to make up my own mind with regards to the components used in the build as it will be me who has to live with and maitain the mota.

Stanton
20-05-04, 05:55 PM
thanks for the info guys!

Jim
21-05-04, 08:47 AM
Fair enough Ryan.

I think I remember a post in Technical regarding the turbo conversion for 1.6 8v's. If you can, try and find the post, it went on for ages.

Jim

Stanton
21-05-04, 10:11 AM
arg 100 pages on cant find it.......... :(

NovaNeil
21-05-04, 12:15 PM
Here you go mate.... all the info you could possibly need

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67450&highlight=

Stanton
21-05-04, 06:21 PM
:o fuk me u found it.

legend neil cheers m8!!!

Stanton
21-05-04, 07:54 PM
read it and know the way to go now guys, thanks! :)