PDA

View Full Version : Big ass wheels = rubbin rear arches???

Funkdocta
17-05-04, 07:26 PM
Ello. Does anyone know if I can get 17's under my 60mm lowered GTE with 205/40/17 tyres without it rubbing? Does anyone make 205/30/17 tyres? What is the offset and how wide can the 17's be? What offset would I need?

Also, I currently have 15inch allys with 195/50/15 tyres and my rear axle seems have lent right over to the right coz I can easily get my fingures under the left side (near side) rear arch but the drivers side rear tyre is rubbing hard, I think it started doing it a monthy or so back when I jacked up the right hand side of the car - when I lowered it back down and drove up the road it rubbed but before the gaps where both even? would poly bushes help this? What could it be and what might fix it?

Thanks for lookin all.

broody
17-05-04, 07:55 PM
a few little things that i know of,

MK1's do normally have an axel where one wheel will be closer to the arch then the other. just the way they were.

I have 205/40/17 tyres on and my arches are slightly lipped to alow the for the offset of 40, which means they stick away from the car a further 9mm then they should do.

Best ofset you can get is 49, the correct vauxhall nova offset.

Funkdocta
17-05-04, 08:03 PM
So is the lower number of the offset, the closer the alloy is to the car and the higher the number the further away? How wide are your 17's? So has your Nova got a wide arch kit?

-Bruce-
17-05-04, 08:14 PM
no high number like 49 means wheels sit cloer to the centre of the car!!
a low number like 35 means that the wheels sticks out from the car!!

bruce

Jim
17-05-04, 10:07 PM
Chances are even if you get the perfect offset you will be best off getting the arches rolled. If you put any weight in the back the tyre wall will probably rub inside the arch, especially when going round corners.

Jim

Funkdocta
18-05-04, 08:17 PM
What do you mean "get my arches rolled"? I've had them cut right back so there's no lip at all! Will this be ok for 17's then?

Nick
18-05-04, 08:25 PM
erm yer i spose it will be, just get your offset as close as you can !

there isn't much more you can do !

i hope the lip isn't cutt comlpetly off, a little bit nees to be reserved to maintain the arches strength round the rim ! back end will fold up like a box if u get hit