PDA

View Full Version : swapping engine . having troble

johnnynova
16-05-04, 09:51 PM
imk doing a 1.4 hybrid, 1.2 head on 1.4 block weber cam etc

am at my mates garage today, started at 9am. after 5 hours, engine out (spline shaft given me hassel)

mr haynes is laying, easy 3 spanner job.. bull

trying to get the gear box out to put a 4.18 cr box in, driv shafts not comeing out of gear box, im stuck, tried wedging it but nope, got the righ hand side one about 1 cm out, but wont move

am i doing sumthin hideously wrong or missing the point?

please help as i need my car on tuesday and its all in bits at the mo! i hav the tools etc but just dont know how, i have haynes etc and workshop manual.

thanks

john

cooper_nova
16-05-04, 11:51 PM
did u take the drive shaft out of the hub??

rustboy
16-05-04, 11:52 PM
When you say 'wedging' do you mean you were trying to pry the driveshafts out? If so then its the wrong way and you could end up damaging them.

Theres 2 ways i usually use:

Pushing the drive shaft in to the engine block and then quickly tugging at it, if your lucky it'll come out in one swift pull but ive been told you could damage them doing that.

The other is putting a crowbar between the gearbox and the driveshaft and quickly pull the crowbar to flick the driveshaft out.

I have had times where neither has worked first time, second time, thir.... etc, but if you keep at it they should come out.

Hope this helps,

Bill

rustboy
16-05-04, 11:53 PM
did u take the drive shaft out of the hub??

Good point forgot to ask that.

Bill

_JH_
17-05-04, 12:04 AM
does your haynes show the fork shape tool for removing them? A perfect substitute can be found right under your nose. the bracket holding the distributor on, fits great both sides. align the ends into the gap, nice big hammer swing and its off.

johnnynova
17-05-04, 10:32 AM
i have taken the drive shaft out of the hb on the passenger side but the drivers side is not coming out, all nuts have been taken out.

going to try now, will lwet u know

thanks

john

Dpnova
17-05-04, 10:37 AM
use a hammer

S_Gault
17-05-04, 10:46 AM
basically you need the circlip at the top .. ie the gap of it is at bottom so gravity pulls it into output shaft..

to do this pull the shaft as you have been doing.. but pull then turn a bit.. pull again.. turn.. when its lined up nice it will come straight away.

Steven

Philsutton
17-05-04, 12:28 PM
they should just pull out