PDA

View Full Version : Leccy Windows

ChronoCabal
16-05-04, 02:49 PM
Hey everyone, just got myself the central locking and electric windows from a 1.2i Luxe+ in my local scrappy. If I can help it, I don't really want to rivet the motors,winders, etc back into my door, so would it be feasible to use nuts and bolts? This would then allow me to remove any if it should it go wrong, and I don't have to take a drill to my doors. :?

If ok, what size nuts and bolts would everyone reccomend?

Cheers,

LT

Adam
16-05-04, 03:01 PM
You could use a nut and bolt, i would also recommend using a washer between both parts.
As for size i couldn't really tell you so just trial fit them with a few different sized bolts and see which holds them best securely.
You would still have to drill your doors though, i think.
:+:

Aragorn
16-05-04, 06:28 PM
get the biggest ones that fit as they need to take a lot of force from the window motors - especially when they hit the top

ChronoCabal
16-05-04, 07:24 PM
Yeah, the motors de-activate when pressure is applied to them (IE the window stopping at the top), so there is strain on the rivets/bolts before the motors cut out, isn't that right?

How do you mean I'll still have to use the drill? I'm obviously going to have the 3 holes where the manual winders are riveted in which will need drilling - Will I have to drill the holes for the C/L and E/W motors as well, or should my Nova have them already? (It's the 1.4i Merit btw). I havn't had time to whip the door cards off yet, looks like I'm gonna have to start sizing up bolts. :)

LT

Adam
16-05-04, 08:31 PM
I don't think there are any set holes for the solenoids and motors so i think you will have to drill them. I may be wrong though.

ChronoCabal
16-05-04, 09:15 PM
Saying that, it looks like I may be able to borrow a hand-riveter - how would I go about getting some rivets from Vauxhall? Sorry, but I'd have no idea :oops: :P

LT

badnova
16-05-04, 10:55 PM
dont get the rivets from vauxhall :lol:
they will cost you loads of money :lol:
go to a body shop and get them there
mcuh cheaper for the same things

robb
17-05-04, 11:01 AM
Check you have the holes between the door and shell for the wires to pass through,

I didn't and had to use a cone type drill bit.

You will need to take the doors off to do a good job as there are things in the way to prevent you drilling the shell from inside.

Make sure you use the grommets that are on the loom and seal them in to prevent rust :|

Good luck

ChronoCabal
17-05-04, 05:48 PM
What size bolts would everyone recommend? I've asked around at work and they reckon 5mm.

You guys would probably know better - just to clarify, it's to replace the rivets on the E/W and C/L systems in the door.

Someone plz answer before 8PM, so I can nip back down to work and get them!

Also, regarding the trunking in the doors, would it be sufficent to drill a small hole in the frame (and fit a small grommet), and then use the hole on the door itself where the hinge is? Prehaps a bit of a bodge job, but theres no way I can get the doors off (I've tried before).

Cheers,

LT

Adam
17-05-04, 07:07 PM
Just get the 5mm ones and then try them, if they fit securely then stick with them.

robb
18-05-04, 10:31 AM
Just fitting my electric windows into new shell.....

Door pins move about 1/2 inch and door won't come off.....

so cut connectors on wiring harness off, make some smaller holes 6-7mm put wires through seal them, reconnect connectors with good crimp connectors, connect to motors etc.

and if there ain't enough connecting involved then connect the wiring harness to some power connect to switches and connect your finger with the switch to see if it works....

fingers worn out now............

ChronoCabal
20-05-04, 06:18 PM
I've just whipped off the door card off to have a look - and immediately spotted a big problem. The winder mechinism is COMPLETELY different to the motorised system, including how it supports the window. Please don't tell me they're incompatible because it a 5-door motor system going into a 3-door!!

I can't even see how the new system would go in, let along support the window. Are the 3 door and 5 door systems different, or are the motorised systems simply different in design to manual winding systems?

I'm seriously worried that I'm not going to be able to have E/W or C/L now!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

LT

robb
21-05-04, 09:06 AM
I haven't seen any 5 door ones but I know that a 3 door manual has 3 rivet points in a triangle and supports the door through a kinda slide thingy on the bottom of the window, like a rectangle tube with a 5mm gap along one side and a plastic slider fits directly in this with ball joint sliding in the gap.

A 3 door electric one has 4 rivet holes and so far I haven't had to make my own in the door, they seem to come with it. They also use the same slider thing as manual...

But if yours are different then why not get some windows with right fixings on, only take 20min per door if you haven't done them before.

badnova
21-05-04, 10:03 AM
all you should have to do is push the plastic thing into the grove on the window
pull the motar round to line up with the 4 holes the rivet on