PDA

View Full Version : HELP, no brakes....

Dals_nova_project
14-05-04, 05:51 PM
alrite geezas, ive just fitted mk2 astra gte 16v calipers, discs and pads to my 1.3sr. I also replaced the master cylinder, both rear cylinders and changed the brake fluid. Theres fluid coming through and im getting air from all bleed nipples but there is still no pedal at all. Ive conventionally bled and pressure bled the system, both from the master cylinder and the calipers many times but theres still no pedal. the calipers are ok as the piston will push out and fluid will come through the bleed nipples ok. When holding the piston still with some large grips the pedal becomes hard yet when all bolted back up the pedal is soft even though the piston is in contact with the pad! Do i need to change the servo to a bigger one? please help fellas!

_JH_
14-05-04, 06:36 PM
are the bleed nipples at the top or bottom of the caliper? they should be at the top.

are you using a so called one man bleeder kit? if so How far are you unscrewing the bleed nipple? it should only be a fraction of a turn until fluid can just come out, any looser and air seeps passed the thread when you release the pedal, also the jar should be higher than the piston or cylinder. best bet to get help, tightening the bleed nipple for you before each release of the pedal.

Dals_nova_project
14-05-04, 06:47 PM
yeah the nipples are at the top and ive only slightly opened them. The pressure bleeder is a sealy one and not one of these crap ones you put on your tyre! It pushes fresh fluid through the system under pressure and is more effective than doing it the manual way. All the solid and fexi brake hoses are ok too. Its driving me mad!!!

Aragorn
17-05-04, 01:27 AM
could be the auto adjusters on the rear drums havent worked properly so theres a huge gap between the shoes and drum which gets taken up with the full travel of the pedal

rysmee
17-05-04, 04:37 PM
could be the auto adjusters on the rear drums havent worked properly so theres a huge gap between the shoes and drum which gets taken up with the full travel of the pedal

yeah i hate those stupid adjusters, they never do the job properly and unwind themselves after a period of time.
make sure that the rears are adjusted correctly so that when the wheels are being turned u can just about hear the scraping of the pads to drums, then when you pull the handbrake 1 notch, it shoud bite, and with three notches, you shouldnt be able to move either wheel. (well thats how i got best pedal feel anyway)
without the rears working prop, the fronts dont work prop.