PDA

View Full Version : what should i get

Jephcott
14-05-04, 01:40 PM
i really want a nova but i dont no what to get. i am only 18 so it cant be a 2.0 l or anything like that also i only have ?600 as well so which i the best nova to get which aint going to kill me on insurance

novajay
14-05-04, 01:44 PM
depends on how much you have for insurance too mate
id try a 1 litre or a 1.2
maybe an sr

Jephcott
14-05-04, 01:47 PM
i have aboutt 1100 for insurance on my own fully comp with frizzel i had a vw golf 1.3 last time and thats group 7. i really want an sri or sr but i cant deside the sri are the quickest but most on insurance and there hard to get for ?600 the 1.4 sr are quick and cheaper insurance (just) but the 1.3 is only 2 bhp less than the 1.4 and its well cheap on insurance.

Jim
14-05-04, 01:57 PM
Try and get yourself a 1.2, but try and get one that has a really clean shell. It'll cost less to replace the engine than it will to fix a rotten shell. Also, in a few years time (or when you can afford it) you can drop a larger engine into the 1.2 shell. Some strengthening may be required depending on what engine you go for.

Jim

Jephcott
14-05-04, 02:00 PM
thats a good idea but ive had to put up with slow cars and i need a quick car i dont mind buying a engine converted nova as long as iits got for example 1.2 on the books so insurance would be cheap.

Col_Mk1
14-05-04, 02:28 PM
1.3sr very tuneable

Alex
14-05-04, 02:44 PM
DONT lie to your insurance about the size of the engine in your car.

Jephcott
14-05-04, 02:56 PM
ITs so easy to lie to the insurance and at the moment im proper hucked on speed especilly after going in a very quick car yesterday that shat me up but i loved it.

Stuart
14-05-04, 03:19 PM
ive had a 1.2 for 5 years now, lol

yeah its slow, but to be fair most of the UK's roads arent anygood for proper fast driving, unless youve got a monster car to do it in.

a 1.2 will sort you out a good few years cheap motoring and get that insurance down, and NCB up :D thats all ive seen mine as. its now a car that costs me ?16 per month insure.

grin and bear it for a few years.

and drive other peoples fast cars ;)

Will
14-05-04, 03:33 PM
ITs so easy to lie to the insurance and at the moment im proper hucked on speed especilly after going in a very quick car yesterday that shat me up but i loved it.

dont bother insuring it then *cough* t4at *cough*

1.4 SR and 1.4 SRI are the same insurance group

Jon_nova1
14-05-04, 03:38 PM
your only 18, you've been driving for at most a year(legally) if you get a 2l conversion for example it won't take you long to smash it up and when mr Insurance comes along he's clever enough to notice it's not a 1l

dur

Jephcott
14-05-04, 03:47 PM
well yeah thats the down side and i no that sr and sri are the same insurance group but the sri has about 10bhp more.

Mel
14-05-04, 07:32 PM
i dont get what the point u're trying to make is?

Get a 1.3SR. Cheap insurance, look good, but are pretty nippy for what they are.

If you want "speed" the 1.4SR/SRi will give you that at a little dearer insurance. Unfortunately, u cant get cheap insurance quote as such on a higher engine'd car, especially at 18!

Get a 1.4SR if you aint willing to go "slow"

scott.parker
14-05-04, 07:43 PM
I alos say go for a sr,think the best is the mk1,with a 1.4 8v engine,there quick for what they are mate,but dont make your self sound like a total nob,by saying i like to speed really fast and that, as most ppl just look down on you for it,just saying thats all.

scott

Adam
14-05-04, 07:48 PM
I'd go for a 1.3Sr if you can find a decent one. Because they are only group 5 insurance, yet they are only slightly less power than a 1.4SR. So well worth it, and decent tuning capabilities.

peester
14-05-04, 08:16 PM
1.2 sting. then drop bigger engine at later date; keep it gte' onl skool lookin. like elsey's. but don't copy. thats not right. :)

cooper_nova
14-05-04, 11:12 PM
i'd say 1.3sr too they r good for wot there r :)

Jim
15-05-04, 08:00 PM
thats a good idea but ive had to put up with slow cars and i need a quick car i dont mind buying a engine converted nova as long as iits got for example 1.2 on the books so insurance would be cheap.

Had I known you were going to make these comments I wish I hadn't replied originally.

Go and get yourself a 2.0 16v Nova, tell the insurance company it's a 1.0 then wrap it and yourself round a lampost.

Jim

Jephcott
16-05-04, 08:57 PM
you lads are bein a bit harsh i was just saying and you can all probally say that you've never thought about it. you no what its like being 18 having owned 1 car, and that bein a 1.0 peice of shit then after one of your mates get a fats car the only thing thats matters after that is how many valves your cars have and what it does 0 - 60.

i think the 1.3 sr is a good idea i think i will wait a year or 2 and save up for a massive engine. thanks any way for th input. :)

epo
16-05-04, 09:18 PM
i can honistly say ive never thought about doin it

if i cant afford the insurance on a big engine i wont have one
i need my liesence
no liesence no job no job no house

i had 2 1.1 festers till i was 20 then got me gte then me sri all legitimate

personally mate its not worth the risk keepin ur drivin liesence is hard enough what with all the speed traps set up

i mean look at neil on here he's had 4 crashes admitedly not his fault but had he not declared he had a 2.0 8v he'd be up shit street now

badnova
16-05-04, 09:42 PM
if i was you i would wait

Mel
16-05-04, 09:43 PM
you lads are bein a bit harsh i was just saying and you can all probally say that you've never thought about it. you no what its like being 18 having owned 1 car, and that bein a 1.0 peice of s**t then after one of your mates get a fats car the only thing thats matters after that is how many valves your cars have and what it does 0 - 60.

I can also honestly say no i aint thought about it either. We may be harsh, but its the reality. its the young people who lie to the insurance companies about what's under their bonnet, who then have a bad accident and push up the rest of our premiums.

i am 19 atm, and i couldnt care less what my other friends drive, cause i would like to be alive at the end of the day, and not risking my life on a high power car that i cant control cause i'm too young!

i also had 1.1 fiesta while learning to drive/year after passing test, then moved onto 2 1.2's..(one was wrote off through no fault of my own) and at 19 im currently driving the other 1.2

dont rush into wanting bigger engines, save that for when ur older, have more experience with cars, and can actually afford it :lol:

badnova
16-05-04, 09:48 PM
well said mel

its not worth it really at all
big engine toys are for the bigger boys(more experienced)

Mel
16-05-04, 10:11 PM
well said mel

its not worth it really at all
big engine toys are for the bigger boys(more experienced)

thanks. this is true, but i also believe that if you gradually increase ur engine size every couple years or so, when your NCB is built up then you will appreciate the bigger engines more, cause you will be older and wont be bored of speed like you would if you jumped straight into, say a 2.0l engine at a young age. it makes sense in the long run :wink:

epo
16-05-04, 10:16 PM
lol i went down from a 1.6 to a 1.4 but in a year or so ill be back up to a 1.6 gte engine

least with a 1.4 its cheap tax

cooper_nova
16-05-04, 10:19 PM
lol i went down from a 1.6 to a 1.4 but in a year or so ill be back up to a 1.6 gte engine

least with a 1.4 its cheap tax

i went from a 2.0l pinto to a 1.6 xflow auto

badnova
16-05-04, 10:28 PM
im goin to stick to my 1.2i for a cople of years as im only 17

i aint in a rush

once again i agree with mel
work your way up and get experiance

Jephcott
17-05-04, 02:18 PM
experiences isnt a problem because i have been driving cars since i was 10 and the first car i owned was a mini with a cooper engine in when i was a stock car racers at 12 years old also i drive my parents mazda 626 sport which is rapid and there is no problems i have never had a problem with powerfull cars and i no how to handle them age dont mean shit the younger the better i aint goin to wait till im 25 and my eye sights started to go and also my reflexes and judgement is shit. im at the perfect age for a big engined car. hopefully summut completly different a big 3.0 24v beast.(well thats when i save enough money).

Dpnova
17-05-04, 02:24 PM
Im 19 and i have lagit insurance on a gte, ive had a 1.2 and a 1.2i there not bad cars they get you around and there not that slow

Alex
17-05-04, 02:38 PM
Your eyes and reflexes go at 25? lol just another couple of years then and i better get my pension!

Judgement is shit at 25? Hmm a lot of judgement comes from experience which i have to say you DO NOT have no matter what you say.

12 y/o and driving stock cars? I may be wrong but Im sure they woudn't let children as young as that drive minis.

TBH you may have been in cars before you were 17, but you haven't been driving properly for very long at all. It is very different driving daily on roads compared to the occasional drive in a stock car or mini.

Why do you think insurance is so high for 17 y/o's? There is a reason!

Jephcott
17-05-04, 03:06 PM
well its 12 when u start stock racing so get the facts right also experience, it doesnt make any difference if you've got a year or 10 because in a year you pretty much cover every type of problem that driving brings along and i definatly have

Alex
17-05-04, 03:47 PM
So what you are saying is that an 18 y/o will be as good a driver as a 28 y/o for example? LMFAO

Stuart
17-05-04, 03:52 PM
i think we should jsut leave this argument.

let the idiot get insurance the fraudulent way, make sure we know what car is his, and avoid it.

and be safe and happy in the knowlege that we are legally on the road and competant with what ever we drive.

I did make rather a large step on sunday, from my trusty 1.2 nova to a 3.0 V6 Omega, but ive been driving for 6 years, had pleanty of exp in other vehicles from fram to track to hummvees and tanks lol. im not saying im the best driver in the world, as that dosent exist. but i do know where most of my limits are.

this will be left open till later on this evening and if the argument continutes it will go.

Jephcott
17-05-04, 06:48 PM
i didnt want to argue it was only a suggestion and i did say that i made my mind up and im getting a 1.3 sr unless i see a good sri for sale but thanks for the input anyway lads