PDA

View Full Version : Finding 2nd Gear!!

un1eash
13-05-04, 12:53 PM
Hi, i'm having trouble finding 2nd gear sumtimes, its not good wen u try pulling of quick and cant get it into 2nd. I have a 1.5TD and about 6 months ago had my gear select reconditioned as the pin had worn its hole into a oval, was told this is a common thing. I dnt think that this is the problem again. any other ideas of what it could be????
Cheers

DUNOVA.
13-05-04, 01:23 PM
Could just be that your selector needs a little ajusting that was the problem with mine :wink:

Stuart
13-05-04, 01:35 PM
CP had a similar problem with his quaife SCCR box, going into second under harsh acceleration was difficult.

we stripped the gearbox down to find that the baulk ring that sits between the sunchro and the gear was damaged causing a notchy/lumpy change.

its an easy enough task, but it takes a bit of time and a bit of common sense. a quick way of telling if the baulk ring is gone is to drain the gearbox oil, if its all glittery then youve got damage (dont worry itsonly brass), if its not glittery then its just the adjustment.

BigRuss
14-05-04, 10:35 AM
I thought the synchros were brass and the baulk rings were steel :?: . I'm pretty sure they are in My F13/15 Quaife boxes anyway.

Stuart
14-05-04, 12:45 PM
ummm the baulk ring being the bit that sits between the selector and the gear itself?

or has haynes told me another lie lol