PDA

View Full Version : Raced a 205 gti

benji
12-05-04, 12:59 AM
i had my first 'proper' race tonight since haveing the work done. i've had quite a few little race's but no really good one's.

it was a j reg 1.9 gti, he was on his own, and i had a passenger. we overtook each other on a dual carrrigeway a few times, untill he turned off down a road i knew so i gave chase. we went up the slip road to a 90' bend and the it was 2 lanes side by side for about a mile. as we came round the bend we both booted it and we were neck and neck from 70 up to about 120. the road changed to 1 lane for another mile, by now we were in traffic, at the end of the road the was a island we both went all the way round and back down the long strech, this time i was all over him from 30- 100, if it was 2 lanes i was confident i could of pulled a good sized gap on him. by the time we got to 2 lanes again we had hit traffic. we stayed in traffic for a bit then turned off. at the end of that slip road we pulled up together and had a chat. he couldn''t belive it when i told him it was a 1.4. when we pulled of i killed him from standing to 70/80.

i still cant belive i stayed with a 1.9 at top end and totally beat it on acceleration :mrgreen:

i know racing is bad and all that but there is a time and a place and this was not near any town centers and there wasn't much traffic on the road

nam
12-05-04, 08:28 AM
very good goin mate, soinded like a good race and fuck me 1400 keepin with a 1.9 gti :lol:
nice

Jim
12-05-04, 08:30 AM
You have the 1.4 on twin carbs? A well tuned 1.4 can keep up with larger engined cars quite well.

When I was at Santa Pod last year I came across a 1.9 on twin carbs, I got chatting to him and his best time had been 15.3. I was quite shocked by this as I thought it should be well into the 14's.

Perhaps pug engines don't go quite so well as Vauxhall engines?

Jim

-Bruce-
12-05-04, 08:56 AM
nice one ben!! would have loved to see his face when you said its a 1400!! :lol: :lol:

Adam
12-05-04, 09:03 AM
Well done mate, sounded like a cracking race. And you were racing a 1.9. :+:

Ste_Nova
12-05-04, 09:07 AM
i raced an 205 mi16 one down the strip at york.... his car was stripped mine wasn't....i still beat him :lol:

cooper_nova
12-05-04, 09:15 AM
nice one ben 8)
bet his face woz a picture when u told him it woz a 1400 lol

well ste for doing a 205 mi16, wot nova woz u running then?

Ste_Nova
12-05-04, 09:20 AM

2.0 16v.... standard with 1.2i exhaust :lol:

Jim
12-05-04, 02:28 PM

2.0 16v.... standard with 1.2i exhaust :lol:

It's not quite the same "WOW" factor though, a 2.0 16v, v's a 2.0 16v ;) :P

Jim

benji
12-05-04, 05:31 PM
he wasn't all that surprised, all he said was what you done to it. he obviously knew a standard 1.4 wouldn't of came close. i think i need to keep a straight face next time i tell someone.

at one point i was 2 car lengths behind him, and i caught him up and pulled along side, but by then i was above 100 and i couldn't get passed we were side by side doing 120 and were both pissing ourselves :D

i thought it must be a 1.6 the way i caught him but as i pulled level it said 1.9 on the side, he confirmed it was a 1900 and not a badged up 1600 when i spoke to him later on.

how do these compare to 306 gti-6's and saxo vts's.

Jack
12-05-04, 05:45 PM
Hehe my mate is a pug lover (he's had 4 and his family all have them), he wants a 205 mi16.... means i might have to crack on with saving for the XE methinks and get the T40s in the saloon at some point :lol:

benji
12-05-04, 11:54 PM
my car's smoking now. it idles crap and smoke's like a bitch but drives fine. i think it's a valve that's gone, will do a compression check tommorow and find out. hopefully it will be sorted in time for santa pod

cooper_nova
12-05-04, 11:56 PM
my car's smoking now. it idles crap and smoke's like a bitch but drives fine. i think it's a valve that's gone, will do a compression check tommorow and find out. hopefully it will be sorted in time for santa pod

:o not good mate hope u get it sorted soon

benji
13-05-04, 12:18 AM
i'm going to manchester this weekend and it's santa pod the weekend after so i don't have a clue when i'm gonna fit it in?? will they let me up the strip if it's smoking?

benji
13-05-04, 07:08 PM
i had a mate look at the car tonight. the compression check came back with strange reading's. not sure on the numbers but it was only just on the green on the gauge and all for were the same. i checked the plugs and the left hand carb was spot on but the right hand was over fueling. the the smoking seem's like an inlet valve, it is an intermittent problem so sometime it smoke other times it's fine. he tweaked the carb a bit and it is driving a bit better now, it pulls from about 2000rpm instead of 3000. so i willl be running at santapod and then looking at having 3 angle valve seats cut in and, depending on fund's, a new bottom end and a cam.

epo
13-05-04, 07:22 PM
nice 1 to both of u

i did partake in a race against a standard 206 sum bird was drivin like a loon undertakin weavin in and out of trafic she pulled up at the lights i pulled up next to her at the dual carrageway we both nailed it i went ahead and she backed off at 80 i was well proud :lol:

cooper_nova
13-05-04, 09:33 PM
nice 1 to both of u

i did partake in a race against a standard 206 sum bird was drivin like a loon undertakin weavin in and out of trafic she pulled up at the lights i pulled up next to her at the dual carrageway we both nailed it i went ahead and she backed off at 80 i was well proud :lol:

lol welldone mate but against a woman???, y bother u prob cud of beaten her in a 1ltr
:lol: :lol: :lol:

epo
13-05-04, 09:39 PM
she was a complete loon it was a laugh ne way

cooper_nova
13-05-04, 09:40 PM
she was a complete loon it was a laugh ne way

lol fair enough :P

tetley
14-05-04, 12:46 PM
i had my first 'proper' race tonight since haveing the work done. i've had quite a few little race's but no really good one's.

it was a j reg 1.9 gti, he was on his own, and i had a passenger. we overtook each other on a dual carrrigeway a few times, untill he turned off down a road i knew so i gave chase. we went up the slip road to a 90' bend and the it was 2 lanes side by side for about a mile. as we came round the bend we both booted it and we were neck and neck from 70 up to about 120. the road changed to 1 lane for another mile, by now we were in traffic, at the end of the road the was a island we both went all the way round and back down the long strech, this time i was all over him from 30- 100, if it was 2 lanes i was confident i could of pulled a good sized gap on him. by the time we got to 2 lanes again we had hit traffic. we stayed in traffic for a bit then turned off. at the end of that slip road we pulled up together and had a chat. he couldn''t belive it when i told him it was a 1.4. when we pulled of i killed him from standing to 70/80.

i still cant belive i stayed with a 1.9 at top end and totally beat it on acceleration :mrgreen:

i know racing is bad and all that but there is a time and a place and this was not near any town centers and there wasn't much traffic on the road

what work u had done mate?, i got a 106 GTI, 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, 0-100 in 22. Thats standard, the 205 1.9 is about the same and so is the GTI-6

benji
14-05-04, 12:55 PM
t40's and some head work, did the j reg 205's have a cat or was that on the later models??

cooper_nova
14-05-04, 01:44 PM
t40's and some head work, did the j reg 205's have a cat or was that on the later models??

some j reg motors had cats fitted but there were not required by law untill the k platers came out