PDA

View Full Version : testing wires goin 2 the headunit

pink_1200
09-05-04, 09:22 PM
carnt get my head unit to work :cry: just wondering how to test the wires there 2red and brown its the 1s coming from the car not the HU there probly f**ked

epo
09-05-04, 09:54 PM
if u have a multi meter u can test the wires to be sure
just test 4 voltage at each wire and test ur continutiy of earth ie put one probe on the door pin switch and the tother on one of the 3 wires ull get a beep if its earth

cant remember the vauxhall colours sorry sum 1 on here will

as 4 testin the hu test it across ur car battery put red and yellow to live on the battery and black to the - if ur hu lights up u know its fine

hope this helps

Dpnova
09-05-04, 10:53 PM
run it straight from the car bat to test it

Jack
10-05-04, 02:10 PM
brown was earth on mine, and red was from ignition i think... but i only had one red wire, not two

epo
10-05-04, 06:42 PM
brown was earth on mine, and red was from ignition i think... but i only had one red wire, not two

u shud have had an ignition suplly so that the radio only comes on with the ignition

Adam
11-05-04, 01:33 PM
i think these are the colours:-
brown-ground
black-switched 12v
red-constant 12v

Also this may seem dumb but how do you check for voltage using a multi-meter, where do you connect the probe things to. One to the end of the wire to test, but what about the other one. Do you just connect it to earth
Cheers for your help.

Alex
11-05-04, 01:48 PM
depends what you are testing for. If you want to fin whether a wire is live you put one end on the wire and the other on an earth source. If you are testing to see if a wire is an earth you put one on the wire and the other on a live

Adam
11-05-04, 02:13 PM
So if i was wanting to test for a voltage(live wire) i would put one probe on the end of the wire and the other one to earth. With the meter set to voltage.

If i wanted an earth one probe to live and the other to the wire. What setting for the multi-meter?

Cheers for your help mate :D

Alex
11-05-04, 02:42 PM
same setting for both. As long as the needle/reading moves you have a circuit. Test across your battery terminals to see if the meter works before you start to test wires

epo
11-05-04, 08:43 PM
also make sure u test on DC 12v i know it obvious but just lettin u know

Adam
11-05-04, 09:04 PM
also make sure u test on DC 12v i know it obvious but just lettin u know
What do you mean DC12v???????? Car battery/or a setting on the multi-meter.
Sorry if it sounds a bit stupid.

epo
11-05-04, 09:07 PM
on the meter sorry mate didnt make my self clear am a electrician u see so this stuff is basically what i use every day

DC is direct current what u find on cars
and AC is alternatin current what u find in dwellins and comercial buildings

Adam
11-05-04, 09:18 PM
on the meter sorry mate didnt make my self clear am a electrician u see so this stuff is basically what i use every day

Yeah i know the AC/DC stuff cus i do AS level physics at college. So i just turn the dial on the meter to DC setting-12v.
Cheers for explaining epo.

epo
11-05-04, 09:30 PM

Yeah i know the AC/DC stuff cus i do AS level physics at college. So i just turn the dial on the meter to DC setting-12v.
Cheers for explaining epo.

yep and no probs :wink: