PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt broken :-(

mogwai7
09-05-04, 09:20 PM
Hi Newbie here,
I've searched for anything on broken cambelts on this forum and come up with nothing, so wondered if anyone can help me.
Dreaded cambelt broke on my poor 1.2 Nova G reg carb engine. I've been told there is an interferance fit between the valves and piston. Anyone know any differant or able to give any advice?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Mogwai7

rysmee
09-05-04, 09:43 PM
not too sure if they will touch or not. when it went did u keep trying to turn the engine over?..thinking..what the fu*k has gone wrong now!
u may be lucky, as i was.. just stick a new cam belt on and c if it starts.. its all u can do i think without ripping the head off which would be a waste of time if the valves are fine!

CP
09-05-04, 10:08 PM
AFAIK all 1.2's are "safe" ie the valves will not be fouled by the pistons in the event of cam belt failure.
You can just replace the belt and get it timed up. Haynes gives details how to do this but its not really a job for someone whose not reasonably experienced at mechanics. The trickiest part is getting the water pump allen screws undone and the pump itself loosened off to allow the belt back on and retightened.

S_Gault
10-05-04, 09:43 AM
Put pistons down block... turn crank 90 deg after tdc.. then lift rocker cover and turn cam and look at valve clearances.. any huge ones are bent valves... if all is well then out a belt on it and turn by hand.

Steven

mogwai7
10-05-04, 06:24 PM
Thanks lads!
Cam belt replaced and all appears ok. :D
Just miss the old mans garage not so clever working out in Britains unpredictable weather